• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    All concerned. Right now it's always a surprise when a composer other than Alexandre Desplat is announced for ANY film. But THOMAS NEWMAN... on NANNY MCPHEE?

:stonethecrows:
  1. I think Newman and good old english countrylife match perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    He hasn't done a traditionally orchestral score for a while. Didn't think he liked doing them. Very pleased he is - he's very good at it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009 edited
    Just found out what Part 2 is about: "It will be based 100 years after the events of the first movie and Nanny McPhee will take on World War 2 children who have been evacuated" (Wiki). This totally sounds like a great assignment for Newman. I think we can expect something alike Little Women, which is an excellent score, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    All concerned. Right now it's always a surprise when a composer other than Alexandre Desplat is announced for ANY film. But THOMAS NEWMAN... on NANNY MCPHEE?

Why is it so surprising? He did the delightful Lemony Snickets... a few years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why is it a strange assignment?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Southall wrote
    Right now it's always a surprise when a composer other than Alexandre Desplat is announced for ANY film.

biggrin

I agree, we may come to get sick of it, but it's nice to live in that world for now. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Right now it's always a surprise when a composer other than Alexandre Desplat is announced for ANY film.

biggrin

I agree, we may come to get sick of it, but it's nice to live in that world for now. wink

Sick of Desplat? Not me sir;
  3. Agreed, I'm loving it, but you want to be careful. You can have too much of a good thing. wink

Think of it this way - at the current rate of output, we're not going to get sick of Alberto Iglesias or Philippe Rombi any time soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The current splurge of Desplat is no bad thing. No complaints from me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

Why is it so surprising? He did the delightful Lemony Snickets... a few years ago.

He did, but that seemed to be a more quirky story (ie more up his street) than this, which is (presumably) more straightforward. But again... I'm not complaining. I love Newman when he does his more "conventional" scores (just as I love his more "unconventional" ones! - but the mix has been almost 100% in favour of the latter in recent years).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Interesting. Tom Newman is definitely great when it comes to traditional orchestral music. Looking forward to it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Agreed, I'm loving it, but you want to be careful. You can have too much of a good thing. wink

Think of it this way - at the current rate of output, we're not going to get sick of Alberto Iglesias or Philippe Rombi any time soon.

Certainly; whilst i am glad Rombi's last year's 2 very fine melodic scores did get attention, it baffles me that such a truly great (in its own terms) score as Iglesias latest (Los abrazos rotos) is SO severely undertalked! If anything that fine piece of music deserved a couple more debates smile
  4. Matt C wrote
    According to a press release by Universal Pictures and Working Title, Thomas Newman will score Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang.

wow, I never saw a sequel (or continuation) coming from that movie.
    Anyway, I'm sad to hear Patrick Doyle isn't on board again, his music works absolutely stunning in the movie, absolutely stunning

It makes the movie so much better
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    Great news. We're also yet to hear about Jim Sheridan's Brothers, which I believe he is scoring / has scored.

But what I'm really looking forward to, if Tom ends up working on it of course, is Todd Field's upcoming Blood Meridian. I'd love to hear Newman score a Western - I can't even begin to imagine what that would sound like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    LSH wrote
    But what I'm really looking forward to, if Tom ends up working on it of course, is Todd Field's upcoming Blood Meridian. I'd love to hear Newman score a Western - I can't even begin to imagine what that would sound like.

Interesting. Tom might go very Morricone-ish on that one! cool
  5. Todd Field is doing Blood Meridian? This project changes directors fast...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Unless it's changed again?

I know it went from Ridley Scott to Todd Field but I wasn't aware another change? confused
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Todd Field is doing Blood Meridian? This project changes directors fast...

Having read the book, Field is a much better choice than Ridley, IMO. It's a project that calls for something a bit different to anything we've seen from Scott.
  7. I'm just shocked, because Ridley said it's some kind of a dream project to him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    What is the film all about?
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  8. The book is about the violent old west. Scalping plays a big part.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    The book is about the violent old west. Scalping plays a big part.

Sounds interesting, I'm glad Scott isn't on board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You are? Care to explain? (Just curious.)
  9. I like Scott's films, but he is more about style in the end than pulling off things with great depth. There is a richness to the films that comes from his command of the medium - they tend to be visual masterpieces, etc - but rarely are the stories more than simple. This novel is too rich in ideas for his kind of cinema, I think. Todd Field on the other hand found ways to bring the ideas on the pages of Tom Perotta's novel to life in LITTLE CHILDREN, so I think he might be the right person to do this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You are? Care to explain? (Just curious.)

A great visual stylist but Ridley isn't really an actors director IMO. Except for the odd exception I find myself not giving a fig for the characters in his films, films that always look great but with characters that lack any true depth.

Maybe I'll elaborate more tomorrow, I'm very tired...g;night sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good points all around, but I must admit I do think his style worked absolute wonders in American Gangster. I'm not one to analyse a film to the Nth degree, but all I know is that is a bloody great film!
  10. True, and I think he made KOH really work well too, and Matchstick Men also. But I think they are all essentially pretty straightforward stories, born for the screen (screenplays first, in other words). Adaptation of idea-rich novels is trickier. Blade Runner really worked, but that was such a long time ago.
    Possibly I'm being unfair to the guy, because I wouldn't have thought that the Coens were perfect for the same author's NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, and that turned out beautifully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    it appears to be too violent
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Good points all around, but I must admit I do think his style worked absolute wonders in American Gangster. I'm not one to analyse a film to the Nth degree, but all I know is that is a bloody great film!

beer