• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009
    Whenever I get a new album, I create a playlist in iTunes named after that album, and containing only that album. I don't currently mess around too much with buying a bunch of individual songs/score tracks and compiling playlists. Well, I recently purchased Giacchino's Up score off of iTunes, which includes a bonus video regarding the film's music. So, this video is in the playlist for the score.

However, whenever I sync Up onto my iPod, instead of seeing the nice balloon-filled cover art when scrolling through my albums, I see a snapshot of Giacchino talking, from the video. I click the snapshot, which loads up the album's tracks, and when I click to watch the video, all I get is a full-screen version of that snapshot and the audio of the video... but no real video.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I understand there is a section for videos on iTunes/the iPod, but I was hoping to keep this video in the playlist of the album it accompanies. Is there anything I can do about this? Or is there a way to move the video to the appropriate section of my iPod, where it will play correctly? Thanks.
  1. Erik? Over to you...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bump.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'll have to look into this since I'm not familiar with video on the iPod. I have an iPod capable of playing video but my iPod is for MUSIC ONLY!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'll have to look into this since I'm not familiar with video on the iPod. I have an iPod capable of playing video but my iPod is for MUSIC ONLY!

-Erik-

Thanks. I don't usually put video on my iPod, either, but as this was found in a soundtrack playlist and had some cool behind the scenes stuff, I figured it was worth a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I watch video on my iPod sometimes (which works amazingly well!), but I load the video playlist from a completely different directory, so maybe my experience is not helpful.

What I would do is remove the video from the soundtrack directory on your PC into a separate directory, and load it into the video playlist section from there.
    That'll solve your immediate problem.
    I don't think you can keep the video in the music directory as iTunes will always grab that file first for visual reference, rather than any JPG or GIF file present. If there is some way around that I haven't found it yet (but then Ive not actually been looking for it as I never had this issue).

So again, in summary: I guess there's no other way than to separate the video files from your audio files.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I watch video on my iPod sometimes (which works amazingly well!), but I load the video playlist from a completely different directory, so maybe my experience is not helpful.

What I would do is remove the video from the soundtrack directory on your PC into a separate directory, and load it into the video playlist section from there.
    That'll solve your immediate problem.
    I don't think you can keep the video in the music directory as iTunes will always grab that file first for visual reference, rather than any JPG or GIF file present. If there is some way around that I haven't found it yet (but then Ive not actually been looking for it as I never had this issue).

So again, in summary: I guess there's no other way than to separate the video files from your audio files.

OK; thanks for the help! I use a Mac, but I assume it should still work the same in this case. I'm fine if the video is played in the video category; I just think its a bit lame that a 'video' iPod is incapable to figure out that something in a music playlist is a video, and play it just like any other video. It seems to recognize that there's sound (though then again, in a music playlist, sound is all it's looking for), but not that there's a video along with the sound. Ah well. Thanks! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just found out something else: if you sync your iPod, UNTICK the "Include Music Videos" option on the bottom of the Music tab. That should solve the problem of iTunes trying to use that video as albumart.
    To add the video to your video playlist, I guess you could simply drag and drop it onto the Movies folder in your library.
    That way, you can keep your files physically together and still be able to separate them in functionality.

Mind that I haven't actually tried this, though (as I don't have any such mixed-mode folders to try this with).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I just found out something else: if you sync your iPod, UNTICK the "Include Music Videos" option on the bottom of the Music tab. That should solve the problem of iTunes trying to use that video as albumart.
    To add the video to your video playlist, I guess you could simply drag and drop it onto the Movies folder in your library.
    That way, you can keep your files physically together and still be able to separate them in functionality.

Mind that I haven't actually tried this, though (as I don't have any such mixed-mode folders to try this with).

Thanks! I'll try it out. beer