• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Really? I think they're an improvement and an up-to-date movement; not to mention that the scores are influential and especially in the case of the third - KICK ASS.

As I said before, I think they are good fun....I certainly enjoyed them. The scores don't do as much for me as many others here but, hey ho rolleyes

I'd love to see a well made PROPER pirate movie.

we had a propper pirate movie, Cutthroat Island and for whatever reason it was a flop at the box office angry

No, no, no. I meant a PROPER pirate movie based on the facts and reality, not nonsense. There are so many great stories out there, for example, a film about Blackbeard would make great cinema but the score would have to be very different from the usual swashbuckling fare.

ah shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Really? I think they're an improvement and an up-to-date movement; not to mention that the scores are influential and especially in the case of the third - KICK ASS.

As I said before, I think they are good fun....I certainly enjoyed them. The scores don't do as much for me as many others here but, hey ho rolleyes

we had a propper pirate movie, Cutthroat Island and for whatever reason it was a flop at the box office angry

Honestly speaking, Cutthroat Island was much better movie than Pirate of the Caribbean trilogy. I didn't like any of the part. I just admire the talent and skills of Johnny Depp. He is one of my favorite actors in Hollywood. Without his presence as Jack Sparrow, the movie would have been very worst. Ironically, pirates of the caribbean did great business at box office. What a strange world? vomit

that's true, if you mention POTC, everyone will mention Jack Sparrow. I wonder what would have happened if Jack wasn't in the picture?

Ah well, POTC has got one major problem. They gave it so much twists it stopped being entertaining

If Jack wasn't in the picture, most of the people would have left the theater very soon and film would have become big FLOP. Johnny Depp and Hans Zimmer were saviors.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, no, no. I meant a PROPER pirate movie based on the facts and reality, not nonsense. There are so many great stories out there, for example, a film about Blackbeard would make great cinema but the score would have to be very different from the usual swashbuckling fare.

Ah, ok. In that sense, i.e. plot-wise, you're right smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like the bit where that event happens to one of the main characters because it develops the plot. I also like the bit after that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I was surprised to see how many people out here went to watch the PoTCs when normally the theatre for Hollywood movies is not even half filled. Then I asked them what they liked about the movies and their average answers were along the lines of "Johnny Depp rocks", "Keira Knightley is hot", "amazing special effects" etc etc. No mention of the plot, I doubt whether the majority of those even properly understood the story! biggrin

And of course, a few of them mentioned "that background score during the end credits was good". tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    I was surprised to see how many people out here went to watch the PoTCs when normally the theatre for Hollywood movies is not even half filled. Then I asked them what they liked about the movies and their average answers were along the lines of "Johnny Depp rocks", "Keira Knightley is hot", "amazing special effects" etc etc. No mention of the plot, I doubt whether the majority of those even properly understood the story! biggrin

And of course, a few of them mentioned "that background score during the end credits was good". tongue

Plot of the movie was not much interesting. To be honest, whole plot was dominated by stunning visual effects. I had a huge expectation on Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, but in the end i was disappointed. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They're still fun eye-candy movies though. Good for a light entertaining watch on a rainy day. wink
  2. DemonStar wrote
    They're still fun eye-candy movies though. Good for a light entertaining watch on a rainy day. wink

if you chop off 30 minutes of both the second and third, yes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote

I agree there are some good moments to watch in "Dead Man's Chest" like opening scene where Jack Sparrow escapes from tribes and last fighting on giant wheel are real feast for our eyes. But i don't think worth watching this in theater. May be on television. That'll do. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I also really like Bill Nighy's performance as Davy Jones. Zimmer's organ theme for him was spot on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I always searched for Davy Jones' mouth and nose on his face. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I liked the third movie more; i thought it was grander scale and of course trippy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Like MASTER & COMMANDER, perhaps? I'd certainly welcome that.

That said, I like the POTC films. Highly entertaining. And I think the scores rock too, even though I do not own any of them yet (just a matter of time).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Like MASTER & COMMANDER, perhaps? I'd certainly welcome that.

That said, I like the POTC films. Highly entertaining. And I think the scores rock too, even though I do not own any of them yet (just a matter of time).

Yes, definitely like MASTER & COMMANDER ( a great film IMO and a shame it did so badly as we'll likely NOT get a second instalment ).

And yes, I also enjoy the POTC films, just like the comedy of a KELLY'S HEROES or the gravitas of a SAVING PRIVATE RYAN there is room for both types of films wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I loved Master & Commander and I guess I have become impatient for more historical naval films. I can't wait for a pirate films to be done right.
    The POC trilogy clearly did not deliver. Plus, I strongly dislike Orlando Bloom. angry
    I also feel the greatness of Depp's Jack Sparrow comes more from the character and less from Depp himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I liked the third movie more; i thought it was grander scale and of course trippy.

Oh, the third one was great, except for the giant woman exploding into a bazillion crabs. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh, the third one was great, except for the giant woman exploding into a bazillion crabs. rolleyes

I thought the whole film just went on and on and on and on and on....... sleep
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Agreed...apart from the bridge between the middle and end of the movie, it was probably the most enjoyable (if not confusing) Pirates film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it kinda drags yes; but it has TOO MUCH of Johnny Depp in it which is actually never too much wink Enjoyed every bit of it, plus Zimmer's score is by far superior to the previous ones.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, it kinda drags yes; but it has TOO MUCH of Johnny Depp in it which is actually never too much wink Enjoyed every bit of it, plus Zimmer's score is by far superior to the previous ones.

To me that's not saying much.

'Kinda drags' is an understatement, this film could easily have had an hour chopped out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    William wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Agreed...apart from the bridge between the middle and end of the movie, it was probably the most enjoyable (if not confusing) Pirates film.

Well, I gotta agree with you about that! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

'Kinda drags' is an understatement, this film could easily have had an hour chopped out.

I really doubt that. But can you provide some examples of about 30 minutes that could be chopped out?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I really doubt that. But can you provide some examples of about 30 minutes that could be chopped out?

No I can't. For that I would have to watch this drag of a film again. The plot is so convoluted and messy I doubt many would have missed an hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No I can't. For that I would have to watch this drag of a film again. The plot is so convoluted and messy I doubt many would have missed an hour.

But did you understand it though? The plot was a labyrinth of twists and turns, but I had no problem navigating it.