• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    It is beginning to look more and more like I'm going to be moving from California to Minnesota to help take care of my father in his last years. It is easier for me to relocate at this point than my Dad. The question? Is it time to get rid of the CD's and just transfer to a hard drive. It would cost a lot of money to move them along with the cassette tapes, reel to reel, lp's, and 78's. I have some time to decide (60 days).
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    For those of you who don't know there are thousands.
  1. Good luck with making that decision, Tom!

It's one that I am battling with more and more recently.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I wouldn't. Hard drives can crash!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would: hard disks are easy to back up and storage costs next to nothing these days.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...but -from experience- 60 days is NOT much time for converting thousands of CDs, unless you are extremely dedicated.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    I would too, its easyer to take a small hard drive with you and of course it takes up less room.
    Good luck with your decision my friend.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I wouldn't. Hard drives can crash!

-Erik-

That's my instant reaction to the question of selling off my CDs, but if you have a solid back-up reoutine then there should not be a problem. Should there? A couple of back-up drives easy to hand and maybe an additional one locked up securely in a bank deposit box!

And I agree with Martijn: 60 days isn't a lot of time to rip all the CDs you have.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think the time is key. I'd have availability to storage (sister) so I wouldn't have easy access but possible. They could be stored with the 78's, reel to reel tapes, cassette tapes, and lp's. Heh I've hung onto everything for over 50 years. I just want to be a little more efficient in the new place. I can always get it back.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't care what my timeline is or what the reasons are... I love my CD's and I will never get rid of them. I've spent years collecting them. And while I don't spin them anymore they are still a visual reminder of my "hobby" and my love of film music. I'd rather look at thousands of CD's on my wall than two 1TB hard drives.

-Erik-

PS - Pack up everything and send it to me. I'd be more than happy to give your collection a new home.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't care what my timeline is or what the reasons are... I love my CD's and I will never get rid of them. I've spent years collecting them. And while I don't spin them anymore they are still a visual reminder of my "hobby" and my love of film music. I'd rather look at thousands of CD's on my wall than two 1TB hard drives.

-Erik-

PS - Pack up everything and send it to me. I'd be more than happy to give your collection a new home.

Yea but would your wife like to look at 1000++++ cds on your wall, hehe smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I understand your point very well which is why I still have the 78's.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I dont throw anything away either, you have seen my mess. biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But if I want to hear Laura as originally recorded on a 12" 78 with 20th Century Fox as the composer, not Raksin, I can.
    Thomas cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Do what you can Tom and if you need to spread around your wealth many of us here will help out.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

She has no choice.
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/basement/1basement5.JPG

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

She has no choice.

-Erik-

LOL about like my wife feels, I think they need a support group. wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

She has no choice.

-Erik-

LOL about like my wife feels, I think they need a support group. wink

However, in saying that, MY wife likes it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I've said I still have everything from 50 years ago
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Oh my wife likes it too, actually she thinks its pretty cool , she just worries about how much money I spend on it.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  3. I had a girlfriend who used to warn me about how much I was spending on the hobby, and at first I resented it a little. (Got a bit male-ish! Defend your territory, man!)

As I go through the boxing process however, I can't help but wonder if I should have listened to her at the time. There are too many things I've bought just because it was the thing to do at the time. Too many cds which I've not listened to. So the girl knew a thing or two! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indeed.

Keep the cd's and make at least 2 backups at 2 separate external hard disk drives. People, life is much easier most of the times, than what we make it to be wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I had a girlfriend who used to warn me about how much I was spending on the hobby, and at first I resented it a little. (Got a bit male-ish! Defend your territory, man!)

As I go through the boxing process however, I can't help but wonder if I should have listened to her at the time. There are too many things I've bought just because it was the thing to do at the time. Too many cds which I've not listened to. So the girl knew a thing or two! wink

She wouldn't mind at all if you spent that money on her though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I had a girlfriend who used to warn me about how much I was spending on the hobby, and at first I resented it a little. (Got a bit male-ish! Defend your territory, man!)

It took me a long time to slow down on CD buying, I have a good think now and try my best to decide if I really need / want something. I think part of it is a fear you'll miss out on something that later on you'll regret not buying and is no longer available except at a silly price!? I can name personal times wehere I've done that but also so SO many where I have CD's I no longer play.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

It took me a long time to slow down on CD buying, I have a good think now and try my best to decide if I really need / want something. I think part of it is a fear you'll miss out on something that later on you'll regret not buying and is no longer available except at a silly price!? I can name personal times wehere I've done that but also so SO many where I have CD's I no longer play.

Me too. I'm so glad I FINALLY got out of playing the 1,000-copy game. I played and lost too many times, just buying things because I knew I only had a window of a few hours to do so, not really sure whether I really wanted things or not. I seem to have ever-decreasing time available for listening to CDs, so I may as well spend that time listening to the wonderful ones I already have!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No, of course you will not get rid of cd's. That's madness!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is a question of what to take and what to leave in storage at Maureen's and my sister's. Depending on the situation with my father I may return to San Diego at sometime in the future.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    whatever you decide (or circumstances compel you) to do: best of luck with the whole situation. Some rocky roads and hard decisions ahead, that much is clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    It is a question of what to take and what to leave in storage at Maureen's and my sister's. Depending on the situation with my father I may return to San Diego at sometime in the future.
    Thomas

As this was a thread from the past most of know that I did return to San Diego and all is well with my father.
    Tom