• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Got an interesting e-mail to day that sparked me to do this thread.

Did you know Jerry Goldsmith was asked to do the TOS pilot? He was busy with something else.

Rumor has it someone else was considered fpr "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" before the late, great Jerry Goldsmith.

You likely know "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" score was done in a short time. But did you also know that Nick Meyer wanted Mikloas Rozsa to score it?

Nimoy wanted to bring back Leonard Rosenman for the next film, "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"; I for one and glad we got one of Jerry's materpeices and most varied score (something he is unfairly criticized for amongst some score fans).

Before Cliff Eidelman got his lucky break on "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country", the late Basil Poledouris was appearently in line first; something I am looking into right now.

We know progress into the second Next Generation film, "Star Trek: First Contact" -- or ST8.
    Dennis McCarthy was going to score it, but the producers were holding out for Goldsmith's schedule to clear. Ad to that another composer's website lists this in his film credits, and we got some mysteries here.

And finally, what if Alan Silvestri had scored "Star Trek: Insurrection"?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    justin boggan wrote

Would have been 10 bazillion times better that what Goldsmith came up with... minus the WONDERFUL Ba-ku theme.

Oooooh... controversy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Don't you have a radio program to be doing? wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Don't you have a radio program to be doing? wink

True... wink Time to do some editing!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Would have been 10 bazillion times better that what Goldsmith came up with... minus the WONDERFUL Ba-ku theme.

Oooooh... controversy.

-Erik-

I always wished Basil Poledouris could have done a Trek film. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Insurrection has other great cues and is 100 times better than Nemesis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Insurrection has other great cues and is 100 times better than Nemesis.

Agreed! Both suck but Insurrection sucked less.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Timmer wrote
    I always wished Basil Poledouris could have done a Trek film. sad

You make me sad. sad

How good that would have been too.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Oooooh... controversy.

-Erik-

alright Erik do I need to find my Silver Hammer.

hehe

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008
    I've read that Gene Roddenberry shafted Alexander Courage, composer of the ST:TOS theme. Apparantly, he wrote some words for it - never intending that they be used - just so that he could claim half of the royalties. When asked about this, Roddenberry claimed that he'd had to do it because he'd had no way of knowing that ST:TOS would be so succesful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    djdave wrote
    I've read that Gene Roddenberry shafted Alexander Courage, composer of the ST:TOS theme. Apparantly, he wrote some words for it - never intending that they be used - just so that he could claim half of the royalties. When asked about this, Roddenberry claimed that he'd had to do it because he'd had no way of knowing that ST:TOS would be so succesful.

Absolutely true from what I've heard?

I heard the theme with lyrics.......horrible! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    So much for Roddenberry's supposed world view of humanity etc. angry

Courage was rather annoyed by this, but my understanding is that he took it on the chin and chalked it up to experience.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Would have been 10 bazillion times better that what Goldsmith came up with...

... though it probably would have sold one less copy. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am