• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    Sorry to bore you again with this, but some cool stuff that is noteworthy (but not for all the people who suddenly know everything about the world politics):
    - Secret US war in Yemen, with Yemen taking responsability (but I guess that is old news)
    - Belgium and The Netherlands store US nuclear weapons (first time it has been confirmed, although it was glooming in our country)
    - Next target is a large US bank, and reveals about unethical companies (I suppose everyone already can tell me which ones?)

- Spy Woman is mad: There is nothing laudable about it
    - update of 270 more documents
    - We all love drones
    - Ayatollah Khameni has terminal cancer (oh right, you already sent a grief card)

I also read that the Obama administration has been the worst in censoring leaks in media and journalism. Is that true? Does that mean freedom of press is tightened?
    Kazoo
  1. Martijn wrote
    Portugal, Ireland (previously Italy), Greece, Spain.

Italy is not entirely previously. They're next.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    You're right. I was only referring to the current interpretation of the acronym.

The very latest though is PIIIGGS: Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Greece, Great Britain, Spain.
    slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    BIG PIGS?

Belgium?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Belgium isn't even mentioned any more.
    I guess people are already working from the assumption of its cessation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin slant sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited
    Oh man, this is getting hillaryous.

Amazon was hosting WikiLeaks website for some time, through their web services. Senator Lieberman, who wants Assange dead btw (next to Palin and Huppelee), ordered Amazon to shut down WikiLeaks' account. Now there's a boycott started (just check out their Facebook page) because Amazon responded positively to this grey looking senator, without giving any comment, and therefore is "tearing down freedom of speech".

Ooh, this is so much fun. Everyone is overreacting so much; state, media and people (including myself obviously). christmas_biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    which is the wrong thing to happen
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    ha has an international interpol warrant against him
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited
    Wow, now they're playing it rough. The domain name provider has withdrawn service to wikileaks.org. So the website is inaccessible. This is just rude and embarrassing. "They're winning, and free press is not" is what is everywhere now on Twitter and Facebook. This is extremely sad.
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/cloud/2010/ … servic.php

Assange is also reported to be arrested soon (he is in the UK), according to Scotland Yard.

slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    We had a similar local media here in greece, troktiko.blogspot which uncovered numerous major government and private scandals through the years, provided a place for every day people to shout and express themselves (you sent an email and they published it) and was a very strong blog, most visited blog ever according to google stats last year if i recall correctly; anyway, result is: owner shot and killed in front of its house' front door.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    What the fuck! shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    Is anyone still following the WikiLeaks situation? To me, this is a fantastic internet event, and obviously, I'm rooting for Assange and his WikiLeaks. It's odd that the media is so harsh on them, while Assange has always believed in journalism to 'open the world', and created the site to support this in the first place.

It's getting a bit out of hand though, isn't it? Amazon, Paypal, their registrar, McAffee, ... 'censoring' and blocking the site. There's a huge backlash though, and the online community is all over it. Also Switserland is pretty pro-WikiLeaks. Perhaps Hillaryous Clinton should get China's help in blocking websites?

I hope WikiLeaks can continue what it initially wanted to do, and that it not becomes a victime of a 'movement' that uses it against governments or something like that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It died already i am afraid. Short- span, short-lived, fast-food entertainment; this is what people want these days. Blood, sweet and tears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It died? confused

It's just started! WikiLeaks is four years old and has quite an impressive array of released documents and achievements (the exposure in Kenya for example, which won Assange an Amnesty International Award). He really has only but good intentions.
    Kazoo
  2. Not sure if his intentions are only good. In fact, a lot of interviews show him as a kind of attention whore.

While it makes sense to show things like American-killed journalists in Iraq, some of the stuff related to killed civilians and things like that.

And then again come things like the cables that Wikileaks leaked recently. First thing is that at a certain point of time (25 years? 50 years?) those things get *automatically* declassified as a rule. American Department of State releases the diplomatic correspondence in the public domain. Most recent release was until, if I'm not mistaken, 1979. What is the *political* aim of that? Sometimes they actually give away INFORMANT names and that's actually stupid.

Confidentiality of information is a *basic* way of ruling any country in this world. Some data must be sensitive. An intelligence example. What if Wikileaks showed some CIA files and were stupid enough to give away the *names* and *pseudonims* of the American espionage network in Russia? What if we suddenly learnt that America knew Putin has, say, cancer, before the Russian public does? What does it give us? If an espionage network gets exposed by a whistleblower, then it's not just a case of being transparent and open about your policy. People simply die. And I am not only talking about intelligence officers posing as official diplomats (any "military attache" is 99% an intelligence officer, not to mention official CIA or FBI - which deals with counter-intelligence in America - cells in the embassies, they're there, officially), because they are protected by international rights and all that can happen is simply being expelled from the country. I am talking about agents, Russians, Chinese working and handled by those intelligence officers (yes, an "agent" is a term used *only* for locals spying on their own country for another country, a CIA worker dealing with the agents is called "case officer"). Another thing is discretion. Nobody can express their opinions about somebody, because it can get leaked? Diplomats are people too and if they think that there is something wrong with say Angela Merkel, David Cameron, Donald Tusk or Nicolas Sarkozy, they are entitled to confidentially tell that to their superiors.

Assange's answer to people saying that he is endangering human lives defends himself that nobody got killed because of the leaks. Well, maybe they got lucky that nobody did. Not every leak can do that, but some DO put human lives in jeopardy.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010 edited
    Can someone explain me what is happening in the UK? What's up with this Cable guy? I don't really understand it.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Can someone explain me what is happening in the UK? What's up with this Cable guy? I don't really understand it.

Nor do I
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Sorry, but I don't even care.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010
    Neither do I, they can all go rot in hell!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010 edited
    Okay. biggrin

I found it interesting, because Murdoch had to do with it. Somehow.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013
    Interesting story but apart from that, it's excellent in telling the story with visuals. Start scrolling and discover!
    http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/201 … china-sea/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2020
    Geez, it's getting tight in the US election now.

As the eternal pessimist that I am, I have long since prepared myself for another Trump win. So even though the polls and speculation beforehand predicted a solid Biden win, I just knew that was not going to be the case.

I know Trump isn't the winner just yet, but it certainly looks that way.

The prospect of seeing that orange idiot face in my SoMe news feeds for four more years, is depressing indeed. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, it's unbelievable. But this means this is what America wants, for some reason. Is this the moment where an empire falls.

I hope Europe leaves USA behind and works better together in the future.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I hope Europe leaves USA behind and works better together in the future.

Yes, especially if Trump wins, but Biden too. We need to take better care of ourselves in the future, and not be so dependent on the US.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I don't understand this at all. As far as I recall, all my US friends on Facebook are abhorrent of Donald Trump and strongly oppose him as a human being.

But here we are, biting our nails down to the quick because of the closeness of the numbers.

I can only assume that either the voting system in the US is so broken that the views of the majority of Americans are not reflected by the system, or my Facebook friends are so not representative of Americans as a whole that the majority US opinion of Trump is not reflected by my friends.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Facebook creates bubbles to the point that some people clearly delete all people who they disagree with and in case of Trump it meant even breaking off family contacts because of that.

Republican voters historically don't take part in polls, so they are always undercounted, so to speak. For some reason this happens a lot with conservative voters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2020 edited
    Yes, Facebook is an echo chamber. I don't think I have any Trump supporters among my 1000-ish friends there (thank God!). So I'm well aware there's a deep, dark undercurrent of Americans outside my personal realm that support Trump. I've been watching a lot of documentaries to get a better grasp of these millions of 'disenfranchised' people.

I feel sorry for the US, of course (especially if they re-elect Trump, but also because of their great polarization), but I'm kinda egoistic too, and wondering about all the consequences it will possibly have for my own country and my own life.

And yes, the US election system has been broken for a long time. I wonder if we'll see the day when they have direct voting rather than this silly nonsense with electoral colleges, so that the actual number of votes reflect who's elected. Probably not in my lifetime.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2020
    Aaargh! This is so exciting, I can hardly get any work done.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I'd love it if someone crunched the numbers and figured out just how many millions of dollars worth of productivity was lost because of this damn election.

Biden is going to get about as many votes as I had expected. I figured he would surpass Obama's record from 2008. But I'm astonished that Trump is also going to get something like 8-9 million more votes than he did in 2016 - like where is he picking up this support from? Who didn't support him in 2016 and then decided after four years of sheer chaos and a criminally mismanaged pandemic "yeah, actually, he's not so bad after all"?

At least the turnout was high. That's an unambiguously good thing no matter your political persuasion.