• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'd be interested to hear what people think they would be listening to instead of film/TV music?

I assume that film music takes up the majority of everyone's music listening time - I know that it does for me. But if you hadn't been "bitten by the bug" what do you think would have taken the place of scores, etc.

I'm not sure that I would be listening to as much music as I do now if I had not started to listen to film music. I'd probably be spending more time reading (a big passion before film music) rather than listening to any music. If I had to choose a music genre, it would probably be classical rather than "pop".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    I'd probably still continue to be a metalhead primarily, granted that i have a huge collection of original CDs down home in Cyprus (more than 2000, collected in my youth times when we had a band as well!). I still listen to some stuff today, limited though and when i'm in the mood for it but i don't know if i'd handle it to date. I'd probably listen to classical music as well, due to my studies and profession. I honestly can't think my life without film music anymore though, i just can't.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    I probably has became a gigolo.
  2. Would, Jordi?

I started to listen to The Rock after a period of loving Backstreet Boys, so biggrin

But I think I would get into classical music and metal. Particularly recently I've been in love with Nightwish' Once album, which is just amazing, though rather very Zimmerish. Would be fun to notice Ghost Love Score in an umpteenth seeing of Gladiator biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Hard to say as I was into classical from a very young age and was also aware of an enjoyment for good themes in TV and films, I don't think it could have gone any other way for me?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    I spend quite a lot of time listening to other stuff. Now that film music has become my profession, I listen to new scores from 9 in the morning to 6 in the afternoon. After that, well, I really need something else.

As I'm writing some choral music myself, and is a member of two choirs, that has become my new hobby. I love to explore new repertoire and spend a lot of time browsing contemporary composers' sites to discover new, exciting music. My favorite composer is Eric Whitacre, an LA-based composer (now that's a co-incidence) who has a very distinct, personal style and paints with voices like no one else. Check it out at http://www.ericwhitacre.com. I've sung many of his works, including Sleep, Water Night, Hope Faith Life Love, I Thank You God for Most This Amazing Day... incredibly strong experiences.

Otherwise, I like to listen to classical music a lot, orchestral music preferrably. I am a big jazz fan, and I like more modern stuff like nu jazz, some house, and the funky acid jazz legends like Jamiroquai and Incognito. I'm not a big fan of heavy metal, rock n roll, blues, country, techno. I think it's sad that no one seems to like trip hop anymore, I was a big fan of Portishead and Goldfrapp's first album was incredibly good with its elegant Barry-esque influences.

Good topic, Alan!

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    Hmm...well 95% of my time is spent listening to scores, but if it were anything else it would be electronica/urban stuff. Amon Tobin for the win! wink
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Probably international/world, classical and pop/rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Nothing. No film music means no music in my life for me. Probably I'm one of the few who listen only film music. I just don't like other genre. Maybe classical?? But classical I discovered because of film music...So yeah nothing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I used to be a big fan of The Connells before I discovered film music. I'd probably still be a rock fan if Morricone hadn't set me straight.

It's still an amazing band for sure, but today I only listen to it for nostalgia. When I want to really enjoy myself it's film score time.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    I do listen to a lot of other music other than filmmusic. I think nowadays the split is about 50-50 between filmscores and anything else. The "anything else" being a bit of classical (Prokofiev, Beethoven, Adams) and some electronic stuff (Orbital, Massive Attack, Delerium, Bjork), some pop/rock (The Killers, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Pigeon Detectives) and my current favorite band The Arcade Fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pete, Massive Attack and Orbital are f*cking amazing! I am so impressed you're a fan! What's your favorite MA album? Mine's Mezanine.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    My fave MA album? Probably Mezzanine as well... if only because of Teardrop, a modern-day pop classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, one of the most impressive single songs ever written. That band is genius. How do you like their later work? like the 100th window ? (if that's the title and i remember correctly) ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think my road to film music was destined to be what it was. It was a gradual evolution for me - from rock'n'roll to prog rock (with long instrumental sections) to purely instrumental electronic music to film music to classical music. Although I listen to film music much of the time, I'm just as interested in other musical genres - ranging from jazz to electronica to blues to heavy metal to 80's electropop to....you name it.

I consider myself a very creative person with a particular interest in and passion for the Arts in general. Music is an inevitable part of that, so it's hard to imagine someone like me - with my personality and preferences - NOT being interested in music somehow. I just can't see it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    If I'm honest with you Demetris, I can't remember 100th Window. I actually had to go onto Amazon and listen to soundclips to refresh my memory. Thing is, if I'm honest, a lot of their music is a bit forgettable. It's nice background stuff, but because it's so ambient it sort of comes and goes. Every now and then they've got an absolute stand-out track like Teardrop or Unfinished Sympathy. So in regard to your actual question: I prefer their earlier work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have no idea. I was a very asocial guy when I was young. I didn't liked the music on the radio, and I didn't really knew what else there was, so music wasn't something I was interested in. Film music came when I went to the cinema, Lion King was the first.

Anyway, since some years I try not too limit my music preference to film music. Now I like a lot of the instrumental postrock like Sigur Ros, Explosions and a bit Mogwai too. As for rock, I like Editors, Death Cab for Cutie and those 'alternative' bands. What I came accross by listenin to Little Miss Sunshine was DeVotchKa and their equals, indie rock and folk like Sufjan Stevens, The Shins, ... So I don't know really where I've would gotten without film music....

I never really warmed up for the pure rock classics and I don't know muh about those either. Don't ask me about The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Metallica, and so far names I know. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Metal, again. I just love some stuff so much, like MACHINE HEAD (i am listening to them right now), older SLAYER, SEPULTURA (old), SOULFLY, KATATONIA, MY DYING BRIDE, PARADISE LOST, KREATOR. I listen to those bands with the same pleasure i listened to when i was younger. And loud as hell punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Bregt wrote
    I have no idea. I was a very asocial guy when I was young. I didn't liked the music on the radio, and I didn't really knew what else there was, so music wasn't something I was interested in. Film music came when I went to the cinema, Lion King was the first.

Anyway, since some years I try not too limit my music preference to film music. Now I like a lot of the instrumental postrock like Sigur Ros, Explosions and a bit Mogwai too. As for rock, I like Editors, Death Cab for Cutie and those 'alternative' bands. What I came accross by listenin to Little Miss Sunshine was DeVotchKa and their equals, indie rock and folk like Sufjan Stevens, The Shins, ... So I don't know really where I've would gotten without film music....

I never really warmed up for the pure rock classics and I don't know muh about those either. Don't ask me about The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Metallica, and so far names I know. biggrin

Good god, thanks for posting my autobiography so that I didn't have too! biggrin

The only part of that post that doesn't describe me is the bit about the Lion King and classic rock. My first real interest in film music started in middle school when I first saw Star Wars (I know, boring, that's probably how so many people first got into film music), but before that, I didn't listen to much of anything.
  3. moviescore wrote
    I spend quite a lot of time listening to other stuff. Now that film music has become my profession, I listen to new scores from 9 in the morning to 6 in the afternoon. After that, well, I really need something else.

envy

That sounds such a hard job, but I suppose someone has to do it!!

Mikael, do you watch a whole bunch of movies too, looking for possible scores to go for? And all the new scores that you listen to, are they promos sent to you by "hopefuls" or is your time taken up with deciding what to include in your CDs?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. envy

I'm going to find one of these secret smilies eventually!

:frustration:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    pmrsim wrote
    I do listen to a lot of other music other than filmmusic. I think nowadays the split is about 50-50 between filmscores and anything else. The "anything else" being a bit of classical (Prokofiev, Beethoven, Adams) and some electronic stuff (Orbital, Massive Attack, Delerium, Bjork), some pop/rock (The Killers, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Pigeon Detectives) and my current favorite band The Arcade Fire.

I really REALLY rate Arcade Fire, I damned well missed them at Glastonbury this year because I couldn't find anyone to swap shifts with slant

Apparently a fantastic live band.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That sounds such a hard job, but I suppose someone has to do it!!

biggrin

Mikael, do you watch a whole bunch of movies too, looking for possible scores to go for? And all the new scores that you listen to, are they promos sent to you by "hopefuls" or is your time taken up with deciding what to include in your CDs?

No, I actually don't watch many films to find a good score. My process is the opposite: I try to actually only listen to the scores taken out of their context, I've found that it's the best way to figure out if a score is interesting enough to stand alone without the pictures. I guess that might sound a bit odd, but that's the way I like to work.

Yes, a lot of promos are sent and I also request a lot of music to be sent to me for my consideration. You get to hear only the really good stuff!

mc
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    I would probably end up in the area of world, ambient/electronical music and classical music. These some things I listen to outside of filmmusic; Djivan Gasparyan, Brian Eno (only the ambient ones), Wagner, Leszek Mozdzer, Dead Can Dance, Massive Attack (only Mezzazine and 100th Window, the rest is crap), Natascha Atlas, Fennesz, Sakamoto (non score stuff), Alva Noto, Shostakovich....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Djivan Gasparyan's work is totally mind-blowing. What are your favorite albums? As for Alva Noto, i liked his 2 albums with RYUICHI SAKAMOTO, they are SO good. What other works by him or collaborations with others would you recommend?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Black Rock (with Michael Brook), Apricots from Eden and Magical Music from Mount Ararat.

I would recommend every single work Alva Noto has ever done, something I'd never do with Sakamoto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks. I have Black Rock too and i like it very much, also have "Music from Armenia", traditional hymns and mournings from Armenia performed by Djivan and two other musicians, an Armenian woodwind trio let by Djivan's duduk. Really captivating stuff.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Timmer wrote
    I really REALLY rate Arcade Fire, I damned well missed them at Glastonbury this year because I couldn't find anyone to swap shifts with slant Apparently a fantastic live band.

They are phenomenal live. They've got a big line up of nearly 10 people (some of them quite pretty, hehe) and some of them are multi-instrumentalist, so they swap around and this one girl is lead female vocalist, but also plays piano, organ, glockenspiel, accordian, hurdy gurdy (or whatever) and drums. And a few other peeps just love goofing around on stage. It's great!!

It went to see 'm in London a few weeks ago and am so glad I did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    "If it wasn't film music..."...then it would be anything else. :shrug:
    With notable exceptions for (generic) Country& Western, (generic) rap and (generic) Rhythm & Bass aggravated semi-soul warbling, I can dig any type of music.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    20th Century American classical works. Classical works from film composers.
    listen to more classical music!