• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009
    Hi Everybody,

What's your weird soundtrack collections? That means, when you buy a score album, definitely you will have certain expectations from that album, but listening to that album you should or might have felt so weird about the album, may be certain disappointment, but not completely. Later on, you may started appreciate that particular score album. What was that?

To me, Michael Kamen's "Jack" and Eric Clapton/Michael Kamen's "Homeboy", when i first heard this both album i thought this could be first weird soundtrack collections. But after listening to it frequently, i concluded myself that this is the best weird soundtrack albums i never had. To talk about Michael Kamen's "Jack", i was somewhat felt weird and disappointed with it, but later on, i started liking it. Its very kiddish, moving and weird score i have never heard in my life. Honestly speaking, score is not too bad. Its really worth buying. Secondly, "Homeboy" is not strictly for traditional film score lovers, that means this score doesn't contain huge orchestra, brass instruments, string instruments etc... its completely like Jazz or Pop style. It will take lot of time to appreciate this particular album, but you will have certain different and weird experience. What's your personal thoughts on this two score albums?

I hope you all share your weird soundtrack collections on this wonderful forum.

Have a nice day! smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited
    There are many scores I disliked on first listen but started to appreciate later on. Black Hawk Down, Duplicity, Planet Of The Apes (Jerry Goldsmith) and Saving Private Ryan to name a few.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    There are many scores I disliked on first listen but started to appreciate later on. Black Hawk Down, Duplicity, Planet Of The Apes (Jerry Goldsmith) and Saving Private Ryan to name a few.

Hi Demon,

I think the concept of this topic is not just about your disliking a score at first listen but also there are certain which you still thinking to be very weird but good to listen. What are those scores? After seeing your list, i don't think "Saving Private Ryan" comes under weird one, because this score is composed in very low scale, so, its not easy to appreciate at first listen. It would certainly take time to appreciate it. Do you have "Jack" and "Homeboy"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    No, I haven't listened to those yet. Kamen is a composer whose works I really need to get. I got X Men, 101 Dalmations and Band Of Brothers so far, and like them a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    No, I haven't listened to those yet. Kamen is a composer whose works I really need to get. I got X Men, 101 Dalmations and Band Of Brothers so far, and like them a lot.

I think you should try his scores for "Mr.Holland Opus", "The Three Musketeers", "Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves" and "Don Juan DeMarco" are simply superb and my all time favorites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote

I think you should try his scores for "Mr.Holland Opus", "The Three Musketeers", "Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves" and "Don Juan DeMarco" are simply superb and my all time favorites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm getting Robin Hood and Three Musketeers very soon actually! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm getting Robin Hood and Three Musketeers very soon actually! smile

punk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    On the "weird but still enjoyable" front, I'd choose Why So Serious from Dark Knight. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Kamen remains one of my favorite composers. Just one of those I could never get enough of. Jack was always a very touching score to me. There are certainly a couple of tracks that are quite unconventional with their use of synths. and vocals, but I don't know if I would call the score "weird" though. I guess it just depends on what you mean by... wierd. wink

Kamen has a very distinct style which is quite different from many composers, and leaves little to be compared.

I also always enjoyed Kamen's work with other artists including Clapton, Sanborn, and Adams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil

Kamen has a very distinct style which is quite different from many composers, and leaves little to be compared.

I also always enjoyed Kamen's work with other artists including Clapton, Sanborn, and Adams.

I completely agree with you. Michael Kamen's composing style was so unique. What's your favorite scores of his?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There have been a multitude over the years since I started collecting in 1960. Rocketship X-M, Something Wild, Experiment in Terror, were the first ones to come to mind. These were different approaches and while I've come to appreciate them over time that first listen was something else.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If someone understands the meaning of this topic, please clarify it to me as well; 'cause i just don't get it and i am ready to press an evil button tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some music I just don't understand?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it may be roughly equivalent to the Re-appreciation thread we had on Scorereviews (I think it was there? confused Can't be bothered to check here. spin ).
    Basically a discussion on any score you radically changed your opinion on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm not sure whether anyone else understood it either, given the content of the replies, but the poster's original intent was to talk about scores that were disappointing because they were a different style of music than what the purchaser was expecting.

For me, a prime example would be Thunderheart by James Horner...I bought it in the early years of my film music obsession, and based on the high reviews on Amazon, I was expecting something as melodically pleasing as Titanic,Braveheart, etc...but instead it was filled with synths and weird chanting and stuff, and I was terribly sad that I had paid full price for such a thing. Five years later, my tastes as well as the quality of my sound system (very necessary for full appreciation of such things) have come a long way, and now I find it a fascinating listening experience, especially loud.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I heard 3 version so far biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    dizzy
    It's...it's... it's a multi-interpretable open-end freeflow discussion about music and...and...and bananas!
    Yes!
    That's it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Proves how confused the thread is wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've heard about threading a needle, but needling a thread is ridiculous! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    At least the topic has to do with music, a refreshing change
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It does NOT.angry
    It's about bananas.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Sunil wrote

I completely agree with you. Michael Kamen's composing style was so unique. What's your favorite scores of his?

I don't really have a favorite by him. I really enjoy all his work. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    It does NOT.angry
    It's about bananas.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I had Kamen's JACK once. That whole kazoo/children's song thing became a bit grating for me, so I sold it. But I did give it quite a few chances.

I have several "weird" scores in my collection that are worth hanging on to. Williams' IMAGES, for example, which consists of human moaning and odd percussive effects. Or Elfman's FORBIDDEN ZONE, which is probably the weirdest soundtrack of all time. Here's how I described it in my 2005 FSM Elfman Buyer's Guide:

"If you merged the absurd humor of Monthy Python with madcap vaudeville histrionics, Ed Wood cardboard props and abstract street theatre performance, that still wouldn’t sufficiently describe this utterly crazy film by Richard Elfman. Shot in black & white, it is an Alice in Wonderland-like story about a journey into a “fifth dimension,” where a league of weird creatures roams about. Elfman’s music (performed by the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo) is equally eclectic. You’ll find farting noises, synthesized chamber music, indie pop, Charlestons and French vaudeville tunes, among other things. The out-of-print Varèse soundtrack has to be heard to be believed. There are few traces of the big and bold orchestral style we have come to know so well, but at least it showcases Elfman’s extreme versatility and familiarity with various musical idioms...along with his sense of humor."

Both of these have "grown" on me over the years, even though they're by my favourite composers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It does NOT.angry
    It's about bananas.

Of course? The unreleased score by Marvin Hamlisch!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Assuming you meant weird as in quirky and not the standard orchestral stuff...
    Lots of Morricone from the giallo period. Some of them like Le foto proibite di una signora per bene, Il Fiore delle mille e una notte or Maddalena (not a giallo I think) where there are gorgeous themes indeed but lots of orgasmic grunting and moaning, or (as in 1001 nights) harsh organs. I'm glad I got rid of those cds.

And if you meant weird w.r.t expectation of the score versus what it turned out to be...
    I could name a gazillion misadventures with my blind Italian score purchases. I'll only list a couple-

L'amore ritrovato and Le chiavi di casa, both by Franco Piersanti. The former is a love story with an insipid love theme that never goes anywhere and gets many reptitions. Boring. The latter is a tender tale about a disabled kid and the score is dull, built around just one theme with n variations.

One 'weird' score that I do like is the charming little one for Die Hoehles des gelben hundes by Dagvan Ganpurev. It's done by a small ensemble with Mongolian instruments and throat singing but it's quite catchy and infectious smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    Yeah, Morricone is the MASTER of weird stuff, of course, especially how he often PIERCES what is otherwise a beautiful melody with a sudden outburst of weird orchestration, dissonance, one "false" note etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Talking about weird noises used in otherwise gorgeous melodies, Goldsmith's Legend comes to mind... I've never been able to get into that one. I bought it, hoping it would be another fantastic masterpiece like he did so many of at the time... But my first few listens I truly hated the thing, because it had so much potential in the themes aspect but it was ruined by the synths and cutting off in melodies at the strangest times. The flow of the score was so off for most of the time. I've since learned to appreciate it for what it is, but I don't think Legend will ever get a spot on my top 20 list.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talking about weird noises used in otherwise gorgeous melodies, Goldsmith's Legend comes to mind... I've never been able to get into that one. I bought it, hoping it would be another fantastic masterpiece like he did so many of at the time... But my first few listens I truly hated the thing, because it had so much potential in the themes aspect but it was ruined by the synths and cutting off in melodies at the strangest times. The flow of the score was so off for most of the time. I've since learned to appreciate it for what it is, but I don't think Legend will ever get a spot on my top 20 list.

I agree. It could have been a Debussy-ian masterpiece (and still holds much value), but is reduced to cheeseball gymnastics through Goldsmith's failure to utilize synths in an organic way with the orchestra.
    I am extremely serious.