• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    The goalie for the Swiss should be given a medal.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    The goalie for the Swiss should be given a medal.

Well, Hiller did recently sign a 4 year extension with the Anaheim Ducks for $18 million, Is that good enough?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy I'd say that the Ducks got a deal.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Very pleased with the gold on the women's 4x5 km relay (cross-country) today, our first since the Sarajevo Olympics in 1984. But we're still behind Germany and USA, and now it looks like USA gets a double on the combined, which means it will be even more difficult to catch them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    I can only imagine what is going to happen to the men against the Canadians if we're lucky enough to get to the final. They gave the Russians a real beating.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Glad the womens hockey team at least got a silver
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I can only imagine what is going to happen to the men against the Canadians if we're lucky enough to get to the final. They gave the Russians a real beating.
    Thomas

That was a surprise to all of us. The Russians failed to show up. Slovakia is the REAL shocker beating the defending Gold Medal Champs in Sweden. Canada/Slovakia should be a good game. And the US are going to have their hands full with the Finns!

sdtom wrote
    Glad the womens hockey team at least got a silver

And I'm glad the Canadian Woman's Hockey Team got GOLD! YEAH BABY!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    And I'm glad the Canadian Woman's Hockey Team got GOLD! YEAH BABY!

-Erik-

And with that gold, they sailed past Norway in the combined statistics too. I think Canada is going to win both curling finals too, both men and women (the men against Norway, incidentally), so I think Norway will just have to accept that our 4.5 million inhabitants is nothnig against super-nations USA, Canada and Germany.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I think Norway will just have to accept that our 4.5 million inhabitants is nothnig against super-nations USA, Canada and Germany.

I'd be proud of what your country has accomplished. Your country has a population of 4.5 million and you are hanging around with the big boys!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    I think Norway will just have to accept that our 4.5 million inhabitants is nothnig against super-nations USA, Canada and Germany.

I'd be proud of what your country has accomplished. Your country has a population of 4.5 million and you are hanging around with the big boys!

Under normal circumstances, I would agree. It's just that several of the sports are national sports over here (we are the inventors of the modern ski, after all), so I put extra demands to them.

By the way, Canada has more gold medals in store beyond the two curling finals, I think. They will most definitely win the hockey tournament too, and then you've got strong candidates in almost every other event. Seems you like you have really done your homework before the home turf Olympics. If memory serves, your country has never been close to competing for the "best nation" prize in the last few games.

It will be a close call with USA (and maybe Germany), but I think you'll make it. It's measured in how many golds you have, after all, not how many medals combined.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The hockey should be really good this weekend smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    By the way, Canada has more gold medals in store beyond the two curling finals, I think. They will most definitely win the hockey tournament too, and then you've got strong candidates in almost every other event. Seems you like you have really done your homework before the home turf Olympics. If memory serves, your country has never been close to competing for the "best nation" prize in the last few games.

We were third in the medal count in Turin.

Thor wrote
    It will be a close call with USA (and maybe Germany), but I think you'll make it. It's measured in how many golds you have, after all, not how many medals combined.

I don't agree with that. Ranking by Gold instead of combined medals takes away from every athlete who WON Silver and Bronze. If they want to rank it by Gold only then they should only hand out Gold medals.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't agree with that. Ranking by Gold instead of combined medals takes away from every athlete who WON Silver and Bronze. If they want to rank it by Gold only then they should only hand out Gold medals.

-Erik-

Well yeah, I guess, but that's how they've done it since 1924.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They feel they can't put equal value on the medals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    The USA looked good against the Finnish team.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    The USA looked good against the Finnish team.
    Thomas

Actually, the Finns gave up! They didn't even show up. A novice tyke team could have beat the Finns. That game was a glorified practice for the US. Canada, on the other hand, just squeaked by the Slovak's. They uncharacteristically relaxed with 10 minutes to go in the third and almost blew a 3-0 lead. Luongo made a brilliant save on Demetra with 10 seconds left in the third to preserve the win. Sunday should be a classic Gold medal game!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I only hope it is competitive. I fear that Canada is the better team
  1. A Polish day on the Olympics. Kowalczyk won the gold on 30 km classic style cross country, beating up Bjoergen (which she clearly has a grudge with, though they hugged after the competition, it's not only about the controversy with asthma medicine, sorry I didn't reply to that - I think that the issue *is* very serious, but it's not Bjoergen's or anyone's fault, it's just that either the medicine's Bjoergen's taking is legal or illegal, if asthma due to physical exhaustion DOES happen, which it does, the meds shouldn't be illegal *at all*).

We also got the third in team speed skating, winning the Bronze with the Americans. It's the best Olympic result in the history of Polish winter sports, which we were never good at. Out of 14 total medals we won in the history of Olympics, 6 of them are from Vancouver.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    I only hope it is competitive. I fear that Canada is the better team

This should be an excellent game. I like the Olympics because you really get to see the true sport without all the show that it has become over the years. Just great playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think we surprised Canada the first go around. I think this time it will be different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited
    Canada is really taking off these last few days. They are now the undisputed best nation, medal-wise, as I predicted. It's strange how the host nations almost always excel in their own games.

Neither Germany nor USA can catch them now. In fact, Canada may bag even MORE gold with the hockey final later today.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. For Canada it's their first. All the Olympics they held before Vancouver ended up with them taking no gold at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Canada is really taking off these last few days. They are now the undisputed best nation, medal-wise, as I predicted. It's strange how the host nations almost always excel in their own games.

Well, it took us three tries to get it right. Remember, these are the first Olympics Games where we have won a Gold medal on home soil.

Anyway, I still give the medal championship to the US but I'm extremely proud of the Canadians for winning the most Gold! And if the hockey team wins this afternoon Canada beats the record for most Gold in a single Olympic Games.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, I still give the medal championship to the US but I'm extremely proud of the Canadians for winning the most Gold! And if the hockey team wins this afternoon Canada beats the record for most Gold in a single Olympic Games.

Of course, the problem in judging it solely on a medal COUNT alone is that it will always favour the HUGE nations who have lots of athletes to choose from across many events. So in that way, I think it's more fair to the smaller nations who are nonetheless excellent athletes that it's judged by the golds first, then silver and bronze. And then medal count as a secondary "point of interest".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor it will never be fair
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor it will never be fair

Say what?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited
    Another interesting thing re: medal statistics is that if Canada takes their 14th gold in the hockey final tonight, they will become historical. No nation has previously won more than 13 gold medals in a single Olympics. Norway took 13 in 2002 and the ol' Soviet Union took the same amount in 1976....and now Canada in 2010.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    However you determine. Perhaps a point system. 5=Gold 3=Silver 1=Bronze I really don't know
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010 edited
    Congratulations Team Canada for the Olympic Hockey Win !!

Party at Eric's House wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  3. Congratulations, Canada! Go Sidney Crosby!!