• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It was an enjoyable match. Lendl seemed to work wonders on Murray's focus and his temper. Though I did think that there were signs of the 'old Murray' at times and his performance did suffer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    The US had there All Star game yesterday. These are fun to watch and with the new rules it does mean something. The winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012 edited
    The US? You do realize that there is a Canadian team that still plays in the major leagues. Oh wait, it looks like the all-star organizers didn't care either. There was no Canadian flag on the field during O Canada. Come on!

BTW, I can't STAND God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch! What a load of rubbish!

sdtom wrote
    The winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series.

That is one of the WORST rule changes EVER!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. The years when I used to watch it it did seem to have fun but competitive feel to it - because it didn't have anything hanging on the outcome.

Is the fun still there now that there are consequences on the result?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012
    Are you guys talking about hockey?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Are you guys talking about hockey?

Baseball.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The years when I used to watch it it did seem to have fun but competitive feel to it - because it didn't have anything hanging on the outcome.

Is the fun still there now that there are consequences on the result?

It still has a good feel to it.
    Tom
  4. I did enjoy the various "events" that featured over the various days. But since my Sky (satellite channels provider) package changed a few years back I lost access to the sports channel that aired baseball.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    The US? You do realize that there is a Canadian team that still plays in the major leagues. Oh wait, it looks like the all-star organizers didn't care either. There was no Canadian flag on the field during O Canada. Come on!

BTW, I can't STAND God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch! What a load of rubbish!

sdtom wrote
    The winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series.

That is one of the WORST rule changes EVER!

-Erik-

I was just making a comment. Oh well the wrath of Erik has spoken.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Whoa! I wasn't attack you. I was just expressing my opinion and displeasure of such a bizarre rule that could decide the fate of the World Series. You got a bunch of guys playing a glorified pick up game and you are going award home field to the winning league and not to the team the deserves home field because of their record during the regular season. I can understand MLB trying to bring some sort of importance or competition to the game but this is utterly ridiculous. What they should do is award the All-Star game to the World Series winning team and have that team play a group of All-Stars just like they use to do in the glory days of the NHL.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This one is a tough call. The All-Star game, like the Olympics, has to be planned in advance thus the Mets will be the host for 2013 and very likely the Twins for 2014. The Twins would be chosen because of their new stadium, a reward of sorts. Trying to give it some meaning was the intent.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012 edited
    That I understand. But the format and rules still suck. The reward for home field advantage is why you play 162 games a year. Giving one league home field over the other because of one silly pick up game is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Wanna know how to make this an interesting game? Put some money on it. Tell the players there's $100 million on the table for the winning team! Then you'll start seeing some action!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012
    San Diego Chargers are 2-0 out of the gate. Good start.

Who knows what will happen with the NHL. Seems illogical they would go on strike again.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorjames5
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012
    I like cricket.i also interested to know about the new and old records of cricket.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012
    The Tigers look like they'll be in the series as they lead the Yankees 3-0. Who knows about the National League between the Giants and St. Louis.
    Tom
  5. Nice to hear that the Yankees are doing so badly. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012
    I'm hoping for a sweep from the Tigers!
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012
    As St. Louis defeated SF last night to take a two game to one lead in the division series I recalled that earlier in the year when they came to SD for a four game series they were swept by the Padres. Such is baseball.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012
    Detroit is in and it looks like St. Louis will also join for the World Series
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have a funny story to relate that will put a smile to Erik's face. Last weekend I was listening to sports radio and they announced that Minnesota was leading Michigan State by a score of 6-0. I thought the football team is going to win a game in the big ten conference. The humor is they were giving the hockey score, yikes!
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's not irregular. BTW, I watched part of that game!

Wanna hear something shocking. A few days ago Honduras blew out our Canadian soccer team in World Cup qualifying 8-1 shocked That's about as many goals a single soccer team scores in a season. wink

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    That's about as many goals a single soccer team scores in a season. wink

Peoples' opinion over there of football is so warped!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's about as many goals a single soccer team scores in a season. wink

Peoples' opinion over there of football is so warped!!

You mean accurate! tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012
    San Francisco vs Detroit for the world series this year.
  7. sdtom wrote
    San Francisco vs Detroit for the world series this year.

Did anyone else in the world take part, or just the USA and Canada as usual? If so, well... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Canada didn't take part either.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    World Series is just a name. It's when professional sports teams start calling themselves world champions is what I take issue with. When you win the World Baseball Classic then you are a World Champion. When you win the World Cup then you are a world champion. But winning the Stanley Cup, NBA, NFL or MLB Championship does NOT make you a World Champion.

-Erik-
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    World Series is just a name. It's when professional sports teams start calling themselves world champions is what I take issue with. When you win the World Baseball Classic then you are a World Champion. When you win the World Cup then you are a world champion. But winning the Stanley Cup, NBA, NFL or MLB Championship does NOT make you a World Champion.

I know, I'm just tweaking America's nose a little smile I entirely agree with you, by the way, I want to throw my shoe at the TV screen when the news here talks about the "World Champion Los Angeles Lakers". I think Olympiakos Piraeus, CSKA Moscow, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Barcelona might have something to say about it.

I still think it would be a great idea to have the NBA champion and the Euroleague champion to have a five-game series to truly decide the best basketball team in the world. Kobe Bryant said as much himself. Same with the Stanley Cup champion and the European Champions League, if it ever comes back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    I agree with both of you on this point. The 'world' should be eliminated and they should just say MLB champion for 2012. When baseball first started with the "World Series" the rest of the world didn't play baseball on the professional level that Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic play it today. With the length of the season approaching 200 games and given the fact that November can be too cold to play baseball in parts of the US plus traveling back and forth to Japan would make it difficult at best.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    The name World Series doesn't bother me. Like you said Tom the only real leagues in the late 1800's were in America. But calling yourself a world champion for winning a league title is ludicrous! You are only a world champion when you play for your country and win a world championship!

-Erik-