• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    Love it Jon. You did mention it before but you can keep on mentioning it as far as I'm concerned cool beer

Me and Francis will keep you up to date on the latest results.

...Eddie Charlton? What a great character he was.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    francis wrote
    Also heard that Hendry will be returning to snooker given his recent divorce and alimentation and not to mention younger girlfriend. Aah, snooker gossip. wink

Really? I hadn't heard this. I think he was premature in his decision to retire, I still think he's got a few ranking titles in him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My knowledge of snooker still only extends to superstar Ronnie O'Sullivan, I'm afraid. I don't even think I understand the game completely. I tuned into a game on Eurosport the other day; both contestants refused to put anything for 20 minutes, so it was rather boring.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. My knowledge of any kind of billard extends to the fact that there is a green table and a numer of balls and wooden bats held back to front. cheesy

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Same here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014 edited
    Snooker is not just about potting balls, it is also about getting position for the next shot and if you can't make the next shot, avoid the opponent from getting a chance to score (by playing safe or snookering). Which is why you can have tactical frames where no one pots a ball for a long period of time.

Great final frame deciders yesterday btw!
  2. When I was a child they used to show carambolage on TV here in Germany. I liked that. They showed the table from above and overlayed the supposed ways of the three balls. Magically the balls mostly followed those ways. There was something artistic about it.

Did ever a snooker player chase the other one around the table with his bat? Now that would interest me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    carambo-what?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Carambolage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carom_billiards
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    My knowledge of snooker still only extends to superstar Ronnie O'Sullivan, I'm afraid. I don't even think I understand the game completely. I tuned into a game on Eurosport the other day; both contestants refused to put anything for 20 minutes, so it was rather boring.

It happens and ( to us connoisseurs ) those little exchanges can be fascinating, though of course, never as exciting as watching Ronnie O'Sullivan clean up the table in 5 minutes. Even there, the more mature Ronnie doesn't mind getting stuck into tactical long-distance safety games whereas in his youth he'd lose patience. ( I remember Peter Ebdon, quite possibly the most boring snooker player who ever existed, frustrating and boring Ronnie to defeat )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014 edited
    McManus is up 5-1 on Higgins. I'm hoping he'll see Higgins out. I can't help feeling sour towards Higgins ever since that dodgy Russian mafia shit a few years ago.

Michael Wasley ( who I'd never heard of ) looks pretty decent and is giving Ding a proper fight.
  4. Timmer wroteI remember Peter Ebdon, quite possibly the most boring snooker player who ever existed, frustrating and boring Ronnie to defeat )

I'll see your Peter Ebdon and raise you Cliff Thorburn!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Timmer wroteI remember Peter Ebdon, quite possibly the most boring snooker player who ever existed, frustrating and boring Ronnie to defeat )

I'll see your Peter Ebdon and raise you Cliff Thorburn!

I can't beat that Jon except say Cliff Thorburn v Terry Griffiths. You don't get a better cure for insomnia than that! wink
  5. I think that the SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy when there was a Cliff Thorburn match because they assumed that the majority of the terrorists would have nodded off?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that the SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy when there was a Cliff Thorburn match because they assumed that the majority of the terrorists would have nodded off?

FACT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    McManus is up 5-1 on Higgins. I'm hoping he'll see Higgins out. I can't help feeling sour towards Higgins ever since that dodgy Russian mafia shit a few years ago.

Michael Wasley ( who I'd never heard of ) looks pretty decent and is giving Ding a proper fight.

Well, well well! Wasley takes Ding 10 - 9

Ding continues his discomforting relationship with the Crucible.

And Angles McManus overcomes ( relatively easily ) Higgins to set up an old school tussle with Crafty Ken Docherty, I was possibly premature in suggesting the commentary box beckoned? We'll see? Should be an interesting match.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Well at least one will go back to commentary out of the McManus VS Doherty match (McManus does commentary for eurosport I believe). Still this will be an interesting match for me because both players are foremost tactical players and definitely old favorites to watch.

Enjoyed the Trump/Ford match, some excellent shots but I had the feeling both struggled to get the rhythm of the table down as they kept under/overhitting shots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's why there is nothing in the world like the NHL playoffs.

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Do you honestly think that the NHL Playoffs can match anything the World Snooker final can offer?

http://youtu.be/7FOZzzvAYWs
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Do you honestly think that the NHL Playoffs can match anything the World Snooker final can offer?

http://youtu.be/7FOZzzvAYWs

NHL means less than nothing to me. But to each their own and every sport should be judged on it's own merits, how stupid is it to pit NHL against Snooker? What next, mini -golf v cage fighting? rolleyes

And here's a bit of un-equalled Snooker genius for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpeBugHSCnU

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For sheer spectacle nothing beats my # 1 sport Boxing. NHL, Football, Tennis and nearly every other sport you can name are mere games that people play. You don't play Boxing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Now, if you don't mind, Francis, the occasional Jon and myself will continue our Snooker updates and comments uninterrupted if that's alright with you?

Capisce!? tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014
    Boxing never excited me. I appreciate the endurance, the skill, and timing but two guys beating the shit out of each other for 15 rounds - especially with what I know of head injuries and it's impact on the human body - yeah, no!

I actually prefer MMA but even that's insane and I rarely watch it. Again, I do appreciate the skill and dedication to the craft but it's not for me.

Timmer wrote
    And here's a bit of un-equalled Snooker genius for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpeBugHSCnU

Impressive.

-Erik-
  7. Timmer wrote
    For sheer spectacle nothing beats my # 1 sport Boxing. NHL, Football, Tennis and nearly every other sport you can name are mere games that people play. You don't play Boxing.

No, with boxing you try to knock seven bells out of your opponent. wink

You can't get a better spectacle than a good rally at table tennis (my sport)

http://youtu.be/bbvOGh2T0uQ

(BTW, I don't feature in any of these clips.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NHL, baseball, american football, cricket, snooker....either I don't understand them or they bore me to tears -- sometimes both. But untill something that excites me pops up on the world scene, you can talk amongst yourselves! Winter sport season is over anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Now there's a game that escalates rather quickly.
  8. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Now there's a game that escalates rather quickly.

It can seem that the players are just trying to hit that ball harder than their opponent. And, I suppose that's true. But the amount of spin that is put on the ball, the skill is trying to keep the ball on the table when you hit it back.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Boxing never excited me. I appreciate the endurance, the skill, and timing but two guys beating the shit out of each other for 15 rounds - especially with what I know of head injuries and it's impact on the human body - yeah, no!

12 rounds Erik ( was the last fight you saw in the days of Ali - Foreman - Frazier? wink )

I've had many debates with people in real life so I won't get into any pros and cons about boxing here. We'll agree to agree with our own viewpoints okay beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Did I just watch a match deciding frame that took over an hour for Ricky Walden to clinch it after the umpteenth try... even the crowd and referee were laughing at the incompetence on display!