• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    francis wrote
    anyone know if Sheffield is a fun city to visit and if there stuff to do other than snooker?

CALLING JON BROXTON!!!!

Indeed. I was born and grew up in Sheffield, so I guess I'm a little biased, but I always thought it was a great city. It's a very industrial city - it was born of the steelworks industry, and has strong ties to coal mining too - so it's not especially "pretty" visually, especially the northern side of the city, large parts of which are still given over to factories, plants and steelworks. But it does have some really lovely parts to the south and west of the city, especially areas like Abbeydale, Totley, Dore, and Beauchief.

From my understanding they've really revitalized the city center in recent years, so they have lots of cool shops and restaurants among all the usual high street fare. The Devonshire quarter on the eastern side of the city is especially trendy. The cathedral on Church Street was built in the 1400s and is gorgeous inside, the stone Town Hall and adjacent Peace Gardens are pretty much the center of the city and are usually packed on summer days. The Crucible is just a 5-minute walk from there, in what's known as the "Theatre District", which also has the Lyceum theatre, the city's main central library, and the city's premier art gallery, the Graves.

It's also a very green city - there are many parks worth checking out, and there are more trees per capita than any other city in Europe. I've always been a fan of Graves Park, which has a rare breeds centre for farm animals, Endcliffe Park, and there are botanical gardens off Ecclesall Road too.

If you're into museums, Kelham Island is cool, and gives a really interesting history of the steelworks, engineering, and Sheffield's world renowned contribution to metallurgy. Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet and the Shepherd's Wheel are smaller, but similar. Bishop's House, in Meersbrook Park, is one of the oldest buildings in the city, dating from around the year 1500 - I grew up in a house literally 200 meters away from it. Weston Park Museum is another traditional art gallery,

There are lots of other sports venues too - Hillsborough and Bramall Lane for football, Ponds Forge is an international swimming venue, there's an international standard ice rink where the Sheffield Steelers ice hockey team plays

However, perhaps it's biggest benefit is it's proximity to the Peak District national park. Sheffield is the only city in the UK which has a national park within its city limits, and if you head west out of the city into the countryside between Sheffield and Manchester, it's utterly spectacular. There are some lovely villages and towns out there (Bakewell, Hathersage, Eyam, Castleton), beautiful old palaces (Chatsworth), restaurants and pubs, places for hiking and biking. Also out in that direction is the Rivelin Valley, which is lovely.

So, yeah, I like it smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    You're missing some exceptionally high quality snooker right now Jon. 14-11 to Bingham ( who came so close to getting the first 147 in a final at The Crucible )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was born and raised (on the playground where I spent most of my days) in Colchester... and I literally have no bias towards it at all. Sheffield sounds far more interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seriously. Nothing I can really recommend. Maybe I am biased, but in the other direction? There's a castle. That's pretty cool I guess.
  2. Nothing like the country folks. I was born there, still live there, never will leave. You suck it up as a child I guess. I'll never be the urban type.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. It's only a game, so
    Put up a real good fight,
    I'm gonna be snookering you tonight.
    I'm famed for my aim, so
    Y'better believe I'm right,
    I'm gonna be snookering you,
    Snookering you tonight!

(Mike Batt) smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    I'd like to see Bingham take the title but he has to find a way to get in front and make Murphy doubt himself, a tall order but not impossible. He's showing real grit to come back from 8-4 down.

Well, what a match! I was really pleased to see Stewart Bingham win, he truly deserved it and both players served up an exciting and mostly attacking final. Sometimes the nice guys do win!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015
    Yes, I'm glad it didn't go to a deciding frame as I dreaded staying up late biggrin That hour-long tactical frame was massive for Bingham to win and it was hard to ask Murphy for another comeback after it. Stuart kept his cool though, great win!

@Jon, thanks for the reply, seems like there is plenty of interesting places to go and activities to do, cheers!
  4. Timmer wrote
    You're missing some exceptionally high quality snooker right now Jon. 14-11 to Bingham ( who came so close to getting the first 147 in a final at The Crucible )

I really miss watching it sad
  5. Tim, are you watching Snooker? I just watched Robertson contra Fu and found that match quite entertaining.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016
    could never get into this sport
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Tim, are you watching Snooker? I just watched Robertson contra Fu and found that match quite entertaining.

Volker

Unfortunately not. Too busy moving house and shit.
  6. Moving house, are you? Good luck with that!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    Buying in fact. I'm also homeless right now ( sofa surfing at friends with the cat ), it'll be a tough few months ahead for me.

I caught the snooker results. Seems Ronnie O'Sullivan pressed tyhe genius button and gave Neil Robertson a hammering in the final.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016
    Oh my!
    Moved out before you had a new house? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016
    Yup! I should be okay though. Just inconvenienced for a few months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016 edited
    Good luck with the move, Timmer!

I'm mostly following winter sports these days (mainly skiing -- alpine and cross-country), but I think I might be the only one around these parts.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I kind of like putting winter sports on in the background on a lazy Saturday morning. I like skiing (especially downhill and biathlon, jumping slightly less so) but find bobsled and skating to be dull as hell. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016 edited
    Yeah, bobsled and skating are rather boring and uniform (they hardly ever show bobsled, skeleton etc. unless it's the Olympics or something). Same with jumping. But I LOVE cross-country (Norway's national sport), biathlon, Gundersen, alpine, freestyle and various other forms. Which is ironic, since I'm rather terrible at skiing myself. I know that Germans are VERY good in many of these sports too, so I'm not surprised that it has SOME interest among our German residents.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yeah, watching sledding...the commentators are like "they've now got an INCREDIBLE lead of over 0.1 seconds" and I'm just like...all right... dizzy
  9. Snooker World Grand Prix

Hawkins beats Day by 10 to 7. But what a comeback by Day.
    I grow ever more fond of watching these tournaments despite never having played any kind of Billiard myself. In contrast of course to Timmer, our board Billiard guru and Pool heavyweight. wink

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2017 edited
    Yep! Great tournament and a great final, Hawkins looked awesome at 9-3 but Day staged a fantastic comeback. Good to see some of the non-big name players getting a bit of cream off the top.

Ronnie O'Sullivan was talking about the great response and popularity of Snooker in Germany and commenting on how enthusiastic the fans are but Germany isn't producing any talent because there's no snooker clubs for youngsters to play in.
  10. That's right. You may find a Pool Billiard table in the Kneipe (pub), in Tennis or Bowling centres. There are some clubs in the big cities, but it's not commonplace.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2017 edited
    Snooker World Championship at The Crucible in Sheffield. And the 40th anniversary of the event being held at The Crucible.

A shock exit in the first round for joint favourite Judd Trump, Ronnie O'Sullivan looks like he means business against Shaun Murphy, an on fire Mark Allen against the legendary John Higgins, young blood Kyren Wilson looked superb taking out former champion Stuart Bingham and a fantastic session between Liang Wenbo and Ding Junhui which finishes tomorrow.

Formerly joint favourite for the title Mark Selby is still in as are the likes of Neil Robertson, Marco Fu, an in-form Graham Dott and Stephen Maguire, it's wide open

I'd predicted that this would be Judd Trump's year.....shows what I know shame
  11. Well the USA won't be at next summer's World Cup. All they had to do was get a single point in their last match, but no, they lost...to Trinidad and Tobago. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017
    good baseball right now
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well the USA won't be at next summer's World Cup. All they had to do was get a single point in their last match, but no, they lost...to Trinidad and Tobago. crazy

At least the USA are in good company. Not Scotland or Wales either.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017
    Norway is already out. My God, we've never been worse. I don't even watch their matches anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017
    sad sad sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017
    The Netherlands are out as well.