• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I agree Tom. Australian rules is the greatest game around! punk wink

I have a few English friends who agree with you! rolleyes ( a shared brain cell between them wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010
    Personally, I'm into LOTS of sports...football, various ski events (crosscountry, biathlon, alpine etc.), track-and-field, basketball, tennis....I like both winter and summer sports. There are some I find kinda boring, though, like car racing (whether rally or F1), all kinds of horse riding, ice hockey and the two American national sports (American football and baseball).

When I was kid - WAY before I became a film music nerd - I was another kind of nerd. I used to keep track of all statistics in ALL sports, reading the sports & statistics section in the newspapers daily, and then plotting down the udpated ranking lists in my own handwritten "ranking book". He, he...those were the days. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You might have made a good Bookie?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thor wrote
    I used to keep track of all statistics in ALL sports, reading the sports & statistics section in the newspapers daily, and then plotting down the udpated ranking lists in my own handwritten "ranking book". He, he...those were the days. smile

So I guess you could say these journals were... complete and chronological?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    I used to keep track of all statistics in ALL sports, reading the sports & statistics section in the newspapers daily, and then plotting down the udpated ranking lists in my own handwritten "ranking book". He, he...those were the days. smile

So I guess you could say these journals were... complete and chronological?

Why, you.... wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Interesting that a thread called "World of Sports" is 95% about cricket! biggrin

Actually, i am a sports lover. I give high priority to Cricket. Basically, i was a basketball player when i was in school but i showed more interest on Cricket. However, this thread is not belong to one person but to all. You can share your thoughts on favorite sports and games.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010
    Southall wrote
    I'm a snooker fan.

But returning to cricket... astonishing performance by England today against South Africa.

Congratulations. Well done! beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    no real surprises with the playoff games yesterday. Each winner will find a lort harder competition this weekend.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Our new ski hero Petter Northug lost to the Czech powerhouse Lukas Bauer in the Tour de Ski today, after having been in the lead for the entire week. Bauer was just too strong in the last leg, where they actually had to walk UP a steep slalom hill!!

But 2nd place ain't bad, and he'll be back for the Olympics next month, I'm sure of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Personally, I'm into LOTS of sports...football, various ski events (crosscountry, biathlon, alpine etc.), track-and-field, basketball, tennis....I like both winter and summer sports. There are some I find kinda boring, though, like car racing (whether rally or F1), all kinds of horse riding, ice hockey and the two American national sports (American football and baseball).

The guy loves football (aka soccer) and cross country skiing yet calls ice hockey boring! dizzy spin However, the European style of ice hockey is indeed boring!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    The guy loves football (aka soccer) and cross country skiing yet calls ice hockey boring! dizzy spin However, the European style of ice hockey is indeed boring!

-Erik-

It would be more interesting if I actually SAW the damn puck once in a while! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The rule is simple: The puck was with the person who just hit the boards.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

I think it's down to cultural differences, very few people outside the wider US and Canada regions find American Footbal, ice hockey and baseball interesting wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    True! It has very limited interest in the rest of the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know the funny part? Americans think it's the opposite. The world starts and ends in us football and baseball wink Personally, i find the movies that concentrate on american sports painfully boring, never watching them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    You know the funny part? Americans think it's the opposite. The world starts and ends in us football and baseball wink Personally, i find the movies that concentrate on american sports painfully boring, never watching them.

On the whole I totally agree, there's nothing like a film on baseball, American football etc etc to send me to sleep

Though there's always exceptions and I did like Field of Dreams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's very odd, this sporting divide. I find all the main American sports incredibly dull, and I'm sure most Americans would find "my" sports incredibly dull. (Though, of course, they would be wrong and I would be right - this is just a burden I must carry.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

On the whole I totally agree, there's nothing like a film on baseball, American football etc etc to send me to sleep

Though there's always exceptions and I did like Field of Dreams.

It's weird how many good films have been made about these incredibly dull sports, I think. I've seen several excellent baseball films, even a couple of decent ones about the most boring sport of all, American football.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent bazzzzzzzzzzzeball films? Like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    It would be more interesting if I actually SAW the damn puck once in a while! smile

Black puck on white ice... how hard can that be?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Christodoulides wrote

I thought For the Love of the Game was good, because it involved one simple game. A League of Their Own I still adore, but that's because it's damn funny, damn emotional and has one of the greatest Zimmer scores ever composed

Hardball is good too, because the story at the core goes way deeper than the trailer ever acchieves, I was crying at the end shame

forgot about Field of Dreams, very lovely movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Field of Dreams, The Natural, and probably others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

The Natural. Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams, For The Love Of The Game, A League of Their Own, *61, Bull Durham, Major League, Pride of the Yankees, The Sandlot, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it's down to cultural differences, very few people outside the wider US and Canada regions find American Footbal, ice hockey and baseball interesting wink

You are dead wrong when it comes down to hockey. Russia, Czech Republic, Sweden, and Finland are all hockey rich nations. And smaller countries like Latvia, Switzerland, Austria and Slovakia are starting to and have produced some of the best hockey players in the world!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Personally, i find the movies that concentrate on american sports painfully boring, never watching them.

Very, very sad! There's more to those types of movies than the sport! Most of the stories are universal.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Absolutely. And they make for great scores too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, one thing can be said: you have a lot of passion for your sports and it shows in some of those movies.

I just can't share it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I actually don't have any passion for any sport (though I do get really into Wimbledon when it's on), but I'm able to enjoy the movies anyway because, as Erik points out, they have universal stories and not just for those interested in sport.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good for you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Yes, I suppose it is.