• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm kind of amazed that there hasn't been a single post about the World Cup.
  2. Jon Broxton wrote
    I'm kind of amazed that there hasn't been a single post about the World Cup.

Too busy replying to comments on social media!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2018
    Film score fans don't watch football, you know! wink

In all seriousness, I've seen almost every single match so far, but I missed a few in the beginning -- like the Spain/Portugal one, which everyone says is the best. Damn! Was busy with a film festival last week.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. We've had a World Cup thread in the past but nobody seems to have made one yet...Been pretty entertaining so far I think (everyone has played and no 0-0 draws!) but the number of own goals and penalties has been shocking. Speaking of shocking, so was Germany. slant
  4. I perceive a very different mood here in Germany as compared to four years ago. I believe there's a number of reasons for that, not only that our teams doesn't play so well. There are but very few flags visible in the streets or fan stuff on cars. There is little talk about the world cup. Maybe political issues, both national and international - trouble folks to a point that a carefree pastime like football gets sidelined.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2018 edited
    The Icelandic viking cheer just now gives me goosebumps! All Icelandic people were once Norwegian, which gives me that extra feeling. Not the same relationship as the Americans have to Britain, I would assume.

GO ICELAND!

For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2018
    Not much interest in America
    smile
    listen to more classical music!
  5. The Mexican quarters in California and elsewhere must just have gone nuts though. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2018
    Yeah, Mexico is on to the next round!

I can understand why it isn't hot in the US. Not only do you not care about the world's biggest sport, you're also not in it this year.

As for the rest of the world (including me), I'll try to watch every single game.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. That game just took two years off my life. crazy punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018
    Soccer = suicide
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I think people overestimate the amount that Americans care about sports in general, apart from maybe basketball.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  7. Soccer = ?

Never understood the rules of Baseball or American Rugby. There you have the Atlantic gap. smile
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Soccer = suicide

I know right, give me a sport in which fights regularly break out and go virtually unpunished and are part of the culture any day of the week eh? wink
  9. Not just part of the culture. It's actually part of regular game tactics wink .

But I love hockey, as that's what you're getting at.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Ice hockey is a fun sport when attending it live. I have seen the "Haie" (Sharks) in Cologne several times live. a very nice crowd there, less aggressive than at football games.
    On TV though I have difficulties to even see where the puck is.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Soccer = suicide

I know right, give me a sport in which fights regularly break out and go virtually unpunished and are part of the culture any day of the week eh? wink

Get your facts straight before making a fool out of yourself.

Fighting IS punished. It’s a 5-minute major penalty with an added two minutes for instigating.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, I have zero interest in getting into a pissing match about what sport is better and whatnot, so please don’t go there.

Enjoy your World Cup. I can’t wait for it to be over so my Facebook feed can return to normal. wink

-Erik-
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Soccer = suicide

Get your facts straight before making a fool out of yourself.

Fighting IS punished. It’s a 5-minute major penalty with an added two minutes for instigating.

-Erik-

I've never really seen an instigator penalty enforced. Is it because the players essentially do everything to set it up in a way that nobody really instigates it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the only "arch American" sport I enjoy is basketball. Baseball, hockey or American football, I couldn't care less about.

The matches in the World Cup so far have been very uneven. And of course I missed the Portugal-Spain match that everyone raved about. But the England match against Panama was pretty good.

And since when did Belgium become such a major world power in football?!? (I clearly haven't kept up to date in the last few years).
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Belgium is in the middle of a real golden generation that started in around 2013-2014 or so. A lot of people see this as their best shot at winning the Cup possibly ever. I'm excited to see how far they can go, they looked pretty assured against Tunisia but surprisingly struggled to gain momentum against Panama. Of course neither of those opponents are true threats, the England-Belgium game should be a pretty exciting one to decide the winner of the group. Especially considering so many Belgians play for English clubs, that game is basically a Premier League showdown.

Erik...five minute punishment for fighting? Like I said, "virtually unpunished". That's a slap on the wrist. If you throw a punch at someone in soccer you get sent off and a three-match ban minimum. But okay, no pissing contest wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018
    Germany out! Who would have thought?

But good on Sweden.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. shocked crazy omg
  14. I never liked soccer anyway. suicide

#LöwOut
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018 edited
    If Löw is out, now which coach are we going to harp on about being similar to a film composer?

The England-Belgium match tonight should be a good one. I hope to see it outdoors.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. England-Belgium is a good matchup on paper, but both are already qualified for the knockout stages and in fact whoever gets second in that group (i.e. the loser, if there is one) ends up on the side of the bracket that avoids Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina and Brazil until the final. Not to mention both Belgium and England have said that they are likely to rest key players. I can easily see that match turning into a glorified friendly with little intensity despite its high profile.

If there's a game I'm excited for today it's Colombia-Senegal! Much more on the line there since Japan also has a very good chance to advance from that group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2018
    That's a good point. It could end up as the abysmally boring Denmark-France match (which was also good on paper).
    I am extremely serious.
  16. I will be interesting if they play for the win or the loss. I was reading that, if it is a draw and everything is equal, deciding who wins the group will come down to the number of yellow cards given. Currently, Belgium have 3 cards to 2 and so Belgium would be second. It could be that English players need to be booked in order for their card count to be worse than Belgium's in order to secure the runner-up spot!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  17. Congrats to all the Belgium pals here! smile
  18. And again! Belgium makes the quarter finals, beating Japan 3:2 after having been 0:2 behind. That's some display of character!