• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    My last topic was on film composing advice, resulting in some great thoughts.
    I have another question for anyone who is has advice:
    I am a high-school student with a few years to go. I currently play piano, organ, and
    occasional trumpet. I compose mainly for fun, and not too often, but I do do alot of
    improvision.
    What would you suggest I do prior to going to college for a film scoring major?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    Study morphology and harmony, preferably with a teacher.
    Study fugue and instrumentation, again preferably with a teacher if you can afford one.
    At least. And make sure you practice a lot through several exercises that you'll get corrected afterwards, on all subjects.

Get yourself accustomed to various listens, all kinds of music, well-known stuff from each genre. Listen well. And get to listen to every piece of film music you can get, study it a bit, its morphology, compositional techniques, the instrumentation, style and all. And watch as many movies as possible, notice the usage of the music in them. Don't underestimate the power of these latter things, in contrast to the books. Everything has its own specific role and beneficiary usage for you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    If you find these thread bothersome please say so... I feel like I am asking alot of things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Christodoulides wrote
    Study morphology and harmony, preferably with a teacher.
    Study fugue and instrumentation, again preferably with a teacher if you can afford one.
    At least. And make sure you practice a lot through several exercises that you'll get corrected afterwards, on all subjects.

Get yourself accustomed to various listens, all kinds of music, well-known stuff from each genre. Listen well. And get to listen to every piece of film music you can get, study it a bit, its morphology, compositional techniques, the instrumentation, style and all. And watch as many movies as possible, notice the usage of the music in them. Don't underestimate the power of these latter things, in contrast to the books. Everything has its own specific role and beneficiary usage for you.

Thank you once again. This is very helpful, and I appreciate it very much.
    Thank you,
    Bartley
  1. I would take a Theory and Film Score major. or Conducting (not sure about a theory major really). Would be good to pick a performing minor (preferrably piano maybe?), because soloist skills are quite in demand, I believe (instrumentation gives you part of it, probably, Demetris could expand on it probably)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would take a Theory and Film Score major. or Conducting (not sure about a theory major really). Would be good to pick a performing minor (preferrably piano maybe?), because soloist skills are quite in demand, I believe (instrumentation gives you part of it, probably, Demetris could expand on it probably)

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate the time taken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do you know of any good conservatories around that can guide you through Fugue, Harmony and Theory, Morphology, Intstrumentation and stuff like that? Some that have organized lessons and exams? If yes, and you know them to be of a good level and acknowledged, then i say go for it. It's the best way to gain the data and knowledge you'll need in order to get in one of the composition courses in the US.

And i'd also advice you to get and gradually learn

FINALE 2007 or SIBELIUS for your sheet music producing needs
    STEINBERG's CUBASE SX3 for your sequencing, composition and VST sound libraries' needs
    ADOBE AUDITION 2.0 for your audio editing needs

If you're a mac user, top of them all is PRO TOOLS but that goes along with its own hardware otherwise it won't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    slant Unfortunately I do not have a mac... its something I have to get, but financially I am in a bad state. I live in Maine, U.S. which does not have any conversatories... but what do you think of online courses?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not pro. If you don't sit down with a teacher, imo, not much can be achieved. Any good music teachers who give private lessons and can prepare you for some exams or something? Do a little bit of research, you'll never know what will come up!
  2. Does the state university feature music faculty? Honestly, from what I know the best film scoring schools are un USC and UCLA with people like Chris Young working as professors. Mind you also that moving to California is a good idea if you want to get into the industry.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    And all that "learning" is the reason I'd only want to get into editing or mixing rather than composition. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You think that's easy? wink The first time you'll see PRO TOOLS in front of you, you're in for a terrible shock! Not to mention the mics, the consoles, nothing's easy in this business mate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Nope. Harry Gregson-Williams said in an interview for the Hollywood Reporter that he never
    thought he would spend so much time in front of a computer...
    Well, I have taken the prentice hall book of basic theory and also of harmonic materials on tonal music.
    Both of which are quite lengthy.
    So in short, you would reccomend taking composition? Yes, U Maine does have a music faculity, and I know a few of them. I'll take your advice and get in touch with whoever is teaching comp.
    Thanks all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes i would heartily recommend that. But in order to get into composition with the right grounds and knowledge, you'll have to know your theory / harmony / morphology good and perhaps fugue and intrumentation. If they have good composition courses in U Maine they might also include these lessons as well but ask how and where you can get prepared in advanced for these topics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    Ok. Im checking the faculity out. I have already had one of them reccomended, and I am acquainted with another on the music faculity, so getting in touch should not be difficult. I think that if I cannot get into their composition course, perhaps their composition faculity may teach private lessons...
    Well, Thank you for the advise, also, I listened to a few of your compositions on the site; they sounded great.
    Thank you,
    Mathias Reed
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    Thanks Mathias, hope you find your way throughout soon. Be sure to prepare well and study, learn your stuff and practice. It's the only guaranteed way to get you in if you pursue it hard enough!

Cheers
    D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2018
    Jason Donovan’s a family man EVERYONE SING WITH ME

Jason Donovan’s a family man
    He’s always had a plan
    If I didn’t know that guy called Stan
    FAWKES THE PHOENIX
    THEME FROM JURASSIC PARK
    Give that carrot to me you swine
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2018
    Listen, English isn’t always easy. Lots of people here try to use the word quarry. But do they all realise that it doesn’t just mean the bloke you’re trying to follow, it also means the place where you dig a massive hole to extract some rocks? If truly everyone here realised that then I’d be amazed. I’m putting out a book all about quarries and it will be the first book this year that deals with both kinds of quarry. I’m going to get it illustrated, probably by a woman. The illustrator will be really talented, I’m telling you, so don’t doubt it. If it is a woman, I can assure you she won’t be harmed in any way. If it’s a man then all bets are off. I mean that. Has there ever actually been a man who could adequately illustrate both kinds of quarry with the budgetary restrictions we’re talking about here? Even Sean Connery himself would probably think twice before taking on this assignment. And he’s the best Scotsman to play Bond. Yes, I mean James Bond. You got it right.