• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014
    Steven wrote
    It's infuriating when so-called liberals make noises like he does, all in the name of misplaced political correctness.

yeah
    That instinctive urge to protect whatever is perceived (however falsely) as a minority interest whatever the cost, coupled with a saddening lack of insight into logic and debating techniques, is leading to an alarming increase in defending the indefensible.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 … mp;theater
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's infuriating when so-called liberals make noises like he does, all in the name of misplaced political correctness.

yeah
    That instinctive urge to protect whatever is perceived (however falsely) as a minority interest whatever the cost, coupled with a saddening lack of insight into logic and debating techniques, is leading to an alarming increase in defending the indefensible.

To be a bit of a devil's advocate here, the problem isn't whether Islam in particular takes a certain point of view or not, but that it's very inconsistent in what it says. Whatever point you'd want to prove about the "religion of peace" argument, you could find various quotes in Qu'ran to support its argument. I was researching it a bit on wikipedia, and the amount of quotes for and against is quite schizophrenic at best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Which makes any argument about its basis irrelevant.
    Which makes actions and consequences the only worthwhile discussion.

And that particular track record is currently an extremely worrying one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As Pawel as touched upon, as soon as you criticise or merely notice Islam -or any religion for that matter- for its worse intentions, you invariably hear just how much of a bad idea this is, and how unfair is it to criticise an entire religion based upon a fringe minority. Islamic apologists are particularly adept at these self-defence tactics, especially when it comes to the topic of 'offence taken' and is often impossible to speak reasonably with even the most moderate of its adherents. The excuse is often shifted to politics, social oppression or shear insanity. These things can and do play their part, and clearly it takes a particular type of psychopath to be able to hack away at someones neck - but this masks the role of belief. And it often appears impossible for a moderate to speak honestly about where these beliefs come from.

All this can easily derail a conversation, and gets in the way of the simple fact: Islam contains mountains of varying degrees of manmade, divisive nonsense which people really do believe. That is a problem. It is not racist, bigoted or unfair to notice this.
  2. I must say I do think that if we make a belief system the devil we do forget about what led to fundamentalism and it's rarely a purely religious point to make.

The truth is that we argue whether Islam is religion of peace or religion of suicidal bombers (truth being that it can be and is both) and we forget that the real issue is that it wouldn't be so big a problem, had there been not so much poverty in the area. It's not just the availability of education, but it's also the fact that these people often cling to whatever gives them hope "in this life or the next".

When it comes to ISIS itself I would wonder where does the trend of European and American citizens showing up in their ranks come from. Is it just good PR that these organizations get? What leads to such instability? My poverty argument applies, I have to say, only to the Persian Gulf area (and its vicinity) itself, but what about American, English, even Slovenian members appearing there? Is it just strong belief? I don't think so.

Someone ever tried to delve into a fundamentalist's mind? I am seriously asking, because it's such a fascinating subject to consider.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    Steven wrote
    As I said, I had no idea about him as a person until I saw this video, so I had no reason to assume anything. He could very well be perfectly nice most of the time, as most people generally are, but he's displayed a shocking amount of ignorance and arrogance in this video. It's infuriating when so-called liberals make noises like he does, all in the name of misplaced political correctness.

Difference between you and me is that i don't generally belief that people are automatically " perfectly nice most of the time, as most people generally are". I do believe that some people are idiots, twats etc etc.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really D.?
    You DO surprise me! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    I do believe that some people are idiots, twats etc etc.

Of course they are, I'm living in a country run by one. But I've noticed you seem to assume it with or without evidence.
  3. Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    I do believe that some people are idiots, twats etc etc.

Of course they are, I'm living in a country run by one. (...)

You too?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I won't even comment on the subject above (Greece and Cyprus wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014 edited

Aslan is a fool. Here's an article refuting his recent remarks:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat … is-is-why/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014
    Jennifer Lawerence's expresses her thoughts on the leaked photo malarkey:

http://www.upworthy.com/if-you-think-je … ise?c=ufb1

Her words express why I find Demetris' reaction to it rather disturbing (or at the very least unreasonable).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014 edited
    Steven you're missing the point. I agree with everything she said. But she forgot to mention she's an idiot for taking the photos on a machine that is constantly online and syncs online. I never said it's my right to see her naked body 'cause she's a famous person or that she had it coming because she took the photos in the first place. My objection is why they took the photos on a machine that is online and syncs online, ESPECIALLY since they're celebs and they KNOW that everyone is after those very pics. Is it so difficult to understand my point? i posted this a couple of times so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good, I'm glad to hear that. But given that you posted a link to the photos themselves (rather than an article about it) with the implication that it was a funny because it happened to celebrities, it's not hard to understand the confusion here.

That said, you still seem to be implying that considerable amount of fault lies with those who willingly put the pictures online, and although I would argue that a little more vigilance would have been sensible, they were still under the impression their data was secure. So I'm not sure we should be quite so quick to judge and ridicule as you seem so ready to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    , they were still under the impression their data was secure. .

They were not.
    They weren't even aware -for a large part- that their devices synced with the cloud.

Negligence to the point of stupidity.
    It saddens me (though it doesn't surprise me) that it takes "celebrity" nude pictures to leak to really drive the lesson home to mobile device users that complacency implies risk, and that "safety" is a highly relative concept.

And it's really not like this is rocket science for highly trained technical professionals (although I would admit that current media integration does NOT make things easy: it took me several hours to set up my new phone just so that it *won't* sync every single key stroke I make). The message, for many years now, is that if you take your privacy seriously, you put some effort into it.

As I stated before: that's the way of the world these days, for better or for worse.

What you do NOT do is take Amazon's, Mr. Job's or Mr. Gates' word for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    Yikes! Talk about another example of Hollywood 'plastic fantastic' gone haywire.

This is how Renee Zellwegger looks these days, folks!

http://www.etonline.com/news/152821_ren … index.html
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014