• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    This is another topic related to collaboration but this time its about composers. In my life, i have never seen composers like John Williams, James Horner, Howard Shore, Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Silvestri and many more were collaborated with other composers. But i always admire certain composer collaboration works which i think did some wonders in movies. The following are my favorite composer collaboration works:

1. Gladiator by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard
    2. The Dark Knight by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard
    3. The Last Emperor by Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne and Cong Su
    4. Kung Fu Panda by Hans Zimmer and John Powell
    5. The Rock by Nick Glennie Smith and Hans Zimmer

That's all i can recollect, if anything is there you can add or tell your favorite composer collaboration works.

Note: I apologize if there is any similar thread like this. Honestly, i have searched thoroughly but i did not find any similar thread like this. If any, please let me know.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited
    With most of what Zimmer does, there I quite a few other composers working with him. This includes Gladiator and the Rock.
    Note: I think Gerrard is VERY over used. :/
    I don't think JNH and Zimmer worked together very well. Most of the influence is by Zimmer. Plus, it is quite obvious who the most talented composer of the two really is. :/ It is too bad things came out the way they did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My favourites -

Road to El Dorado - Hans Zimmer and John Powell
    Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell
    Chicken Run - HGW and Powell
    Antz - HGW and Powell
    Shrek - HGW and Powell
    Armageddon - HGW and Rabin
    Polar Bear 2 - Nick Glennie-Smith and Zimmer
    Lauras Stern - NGS and Zimmer
    Gladiator - Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I agree, as far as "The Dark Knight" concern, James had composed very little music than Zimmer. His most outstanding cue written for "Harvey Two-Face" was marvelous. I think as far as contribution concern, its 70% from Zimmer and 30% from James Newton Howard. After observing each and every track in the album, i couldn't find the uniqueness of James Newton Howard. Most of the tracks just sounded like Zimmer's style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    My favourites -

Last Of The Mohicans - Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman

This wasn't a collaboration. The director wanted Jones to write more music but when Jones refused Edelman was hired to do the job. The two composers didn't work together.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the info! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    With most of what Zimmer does, there I quite a few other composers working with him. This includes Gladiator and the Rock.

A few? You're a gentle aren't you? wink

Note: I thin Gerrard is VERY over used. :/

Indeed! Thankfully not any more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Sherman Brothers!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Miya wrote
    Sherman Brothers!

Who are they? I never heard of them. If you can, tell me about the brothers. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Miya wrote
    Sherman Brothers!

Who are they? I never heard of them. If you can, tell me about the brothers. biggrin

Disney's The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Mary Poppins also Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and loads more. They're songs for Disney are easily far and away the best, not beaten before or since.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Egyptian - Alfred Newman and Bernard Herrmann

Newman was originally the original composer working on the film but due to other commitments Newman felt that he wouldn't be able to finish the score in time. So, as head of music for Fox he brought in Bernard Herrmann to help complete the score. This was a true collaboration. They shared themes, discussed in detail the narrative of the score and meshed styles.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Lives of Others - Gabriel Yared and Stéphane Moucha

I don't exactly know if they collaborated or worked separately but the resulting score is a gem!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Newman was originally the original composer working on the film but due to other commitments Newman felt that he wouldn't be able to finish the score in time. So, as head of music for Fox he brought in Bernard Herrmann to help complete the score. This was a true collaboration. They shared themes, discussed in detail the narrative of the score and meshed styles.

-Erik-

Talk about giants bestriding all others shocked cool

And Sunil,

The Last Emperor

Sakamoto, Byrne and Su all worked separately so it's not really a collaboration.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Few of the others are even worth mentioning, let alone listening to; but this one - GREAT.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Miya wrote
    Sherman Brothers!

Disney's The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Mary Poppins also Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and loads more. They're songs for Disney are easily far and away the best, not beaten before or since.

What do you make of Ashman/Menken? The Sherman brothers did wonderful work, but I would think especially Ashman´s lyrical contributions to Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin at least rivals their work. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The Menken/Ashman collaboration is nothing short of EPIC, IMO! All those films mentioned above have really wonderful songs which are among my all time favourites! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Shermans really have done WAY more than Menken and/or Ashman for Disney.
    That aside, they wrote some absolute killer classics for Disney (including my all-time favourite I Wanna Be Like You from Junglebook, but also Chim-chim-cheree, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and It's A Small World (After All)).

Surely Menken has not reached that status (yet?).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    What Martijn said!

( You forgot....forgot!??? Bare Necessities )

Ashman & Menkin, The Sherman Brothers...

It's like comparing Oasis to The Beatles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Argh!
    Should have gotten that one in there as well for sure.

Still, whenever I think of Junglebook, I Wanna Be Like You is THE song jumping out at me, obscuring -more is the shame- The Bare Necessities, which is really good as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    That aside, they wrote some absolute killer classics for Disney (including my all-time favourite I Wanna Be Like You from Junglebook, but also Chim-chim-cheree, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and It's A Small World (After All)).

I dunno. It's more like comparing chalk with cheese than comparing The Beatles with Oasis, I'd have thought. Menken's Broadway-style songs are absolutely incredible in their own right. To say he hasn't written a song as iconic as those in The Jungle Book is true, but then the Shermans have never written anything (for a Disney film) as serious-minded and dramatically potent as what Menken did on Hunchback of Notre Dame.

And if you want to look at notches on bedposts, then the main songs from Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Pocahontas would stand up against most competition, I'd say.

But... chalk and cheese, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    While Friedhofer was never given on screen credit for writing, the work he did in the 30's/40's for Steiner and Korngold was a true collaboration.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Friedhofer's collaboration with Korngold is a good example, Tom. From what I've read, Korngold would write piano sketches that were panned out on no more than three to four staves. He would then perform the sketches to Friedhofer and make instructions on what the instrumentation should be. According to Friedhofer, Korngold had a remarkable "orchestral" pianistic technique (just hear his piano sonatas!), and hearing him play was what made the intentions obvious, even more so than the verbal aspect of their communication. Friedhofer also said he often made suggestions and had liberty to contribute creative input of his own. There is an interview somewhere with Conrad Pope, John William's lead orchestrator since the early 1990's. Its certainly an interesting read as he discusses their collaboration in detail.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    omaha wrote

A few? You're a gentle aren't you? wink

Note: I thin Gerrard is VERY over used. :/

Indeed! Thankfully not any more.

I was trying to be nice. :/
    Plus, I corrected that spelling error in the original post. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Miya wrote
    Sherman Brothers!

And Winnie The Pooh. (one of my favorite songs as a kid) smile Also, it's not for films, don't forget It's a small world after all...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote
    ...don't forget It's a small world after all...

Please...please let me forget this. Trapped for 20 minutes in the It's A Small World ride at Disney World with that tune on repeat had me contemplating suicide. suicide

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

I dunno. It's more like comparing chalk with cheese than comparing The Beatles with Oasis, I'd have thought. Menken's Broadway-style songs are absolutely incredible in their own right. To say he hasn't written a song as iconic as those in The Jungle Book is true, but then the Shermans have never written anything (for a Disney film) as serious-minded and dramatically potent as what Menken did on Hunchback of Notre Dame.

And if you want to look at notches on bedposts, then the main songs from Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Pocahontas would stand up against most competition, I'd say.

Its true they are difficult to compare. And its possible I'm slightly biased by the fact that I was a child of the 90's, but Ashman/Menken's work between 1989-1992 is certainly more ambitous and offers a far broader stylistic scope than the jazz era of Disney the Sherman brothers were a central part of. Ashman, who also was a succesfull playwrite as well as lyricist, came into Disney and basically taught them how to tell a story through music, as opposed to with music. The songs weren't commenting, or even augmenting a dramatic situation, they were simply the key events of the picture and absolutely vital to communicating the story. Of course, by having Menken also write the underscores these key scenes had the possibility to be extremely well prepared, contrary to many previous Disney pictures. The fact that the animators and composer also shared offices during the pre-production fase was also vital in achieving the the kind of results in audio-visual collaboration they were having. In my opinion, Ashman's spirit and legacy continued through Menken after his death and climaxed in 1996 with Hunchback of Notre Dame, a wonderful display of music and images (however flawed their interpretation of Hugo's novel may be). My favourite song of all time would have to be "Out There" from that film.

Of course, the Sherman brothers didn't have the same cards dealt to them in their era, and if I was to rank the songs in their own right independent from the pictures I would have to say I enjoy their music equally!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

Please...please let me forget this. Trapped for 20 minutes in the It's A Small World ride at Disney World with that tune on repeat had me contemplating suicide. suicide

-Erik-

I know exactly what you mean dude. I went nuts. Scary as hell on that ride. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    Also, it's not for films, don't forget It's a small world after all...

Yes, surprising nobody mentioned that one yet... slant

Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

I feel your pain.

In Holland's biggest theme park De Efteling I once got stuck in a ride called Carnival Festival, which consists of puppets who are eerily cheery in a Stepford Wives meets Night Of The Living Dead kinda fashion, "buoyed" by what amounts to the most mind-numbing of Dutch "festive" music (which is second only to German beerfest polkas in melting your brain enough to escape your ear through a straw).

I'm quite certain this is what hell must be like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

When talking about old Disney vs new Disney, I believe it's inevitable being biased by what you watched when you were little...

(And I don't consider Ashman/Menken as a composer collaboration, because Ashman was mostly a lyricist. His influence to Menken was very huge, though.)

And actually, I must admit I don't remember whether I saw Jungle Book or not... shame , it was difficult to get the video when I was a kid, and today the DVD was released but not in rental stores around here, and I don't have enough money to buy it (Disney DVDs are expensive) shame shame

But anyway I know and love Jungle Book songs, as well as Aristocats, Mary Poppins and Pooh. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

I'm quite certain this is what hell must be like.

Here is HELL!

-Erik-