• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    As we all know, there were certain movies in the history which was considered to be highly controversial. Most interestingly, scores played vital role in those movies. In fact, i would like to share my favorite scores for most controversial movies in the history of cinema. Here are my favorites: ( in no particular order)

1. The Da Vinci Code By Hans Zimmer
    2. The Last Temptation of Christ by Peter Gabriel
    3. The Passion of the Christ by John Debney
    4. Seven Years in Tiber by John Williams
    5. Basic Instinct by Jerry Goldsmith
    6. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams
    7. Braveheart by James Horner
    8. Star Gate by David Arnold

That's all i can recollect. What's yours? If you anything apart from this, you can add.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. How was STARGATE controversial?

My reference point for controversy is a bit more like SALO, 120 DAYS OF SODOM (Pasolini), THE BROWN BUNNY (Gallo) or something along those lines.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    There was a controversial theory regarding the pyramid of Khufu. In the film, they depicted that Pyramid was built by alien civilization. This created controversy among Egyptian people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(film)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    These list threads are sooooo sleep A little bit more analysis would be nice, Sunil. And really, what the hell do the scores have anything to do with the controversy... unless we are talking about Torn Curtain.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How are Seven Years in Tibet, Braveheart any controversial?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited
    The most "controversial" films in that list are the ones directly linked to Christianity (shocking, I know). But the rest? Nah. C'mon, Stargate, controversial? Yer 'avin a giraffe int ya? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Braveheart is only controversial amongst nit-pickers ( like myself rolleyes wink ) over it's incredible historical inaccuracies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The most "controversial" films in that list are the ones directly linked to Christianity (shocking, I know). But the rest? Nah. C'mon, Stargate, controversial? Yer 'avin a giraffe int ya? biggrin

Eez 'eard one too many porkies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oggie?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote
    These list threads are sooooo sleep A little bit more analysis would be nice, Sunil. And really, what the hell do the scores have anything to do with the controversy... unless we are talking about Torn Curtain.

-Erik-

Yes, it has something to do with controversy, may be not controversial scores but for controversial movies. I consider 'controversial' is like genre, e.g horror, drama, sci fi. If you see in the past or now, there were certain movies pulled the crowd into cinema hall after a week or two, especially at the time of poor opening box office. Controversial movies are more spoken among crowds than any other movies. If you take scores for the movie like "The Passion of the Christ", "The Da Vinci Code", "The Last Temptation of Christ" etc in these movies, music played very important role. Of course, composers might not be considered as 'Controversial composers' but he/she somehow made contribution to the controversial movies. You know scores are another silent movies, it is something like re-written script for the movies through incredible musical composition. So, you can't neglect this thread as unnecessary, if you want, that's your wish. Nowadays, i am making lot of research, observation and analysis on my own. Do you get my idea?

Have a nice day! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So... how is Stargate controversial?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The only one mentioned where I can think of both film and score being controversial is The Passion of The Christ.

I can't remember the full story but didn't Debney receive 'devine inspiration'? This was at least controversial amongst film score fans and created some very hot 'debates' in certain film score forums.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    So... how is Stargate controversial?

Film makers say aliens built them, Egyptians say they built them, I say Erich Von Danniken built them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Braveheart is only controversial amongst nit-pickers ( like myself rolleyes wink ) over it's incredible historical inaccuracies.

And for its crappiness, perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I can't remember the full story but didn't Debney receive 'devine inspiration'? This was at least controversial amongst film score fans and created some very hot 'debates' in certain film score forums.

dizzy

Debney seems like a very lovely guy and everything... but, um, very... yeah... 'divine inspiration' says it all really. uhm (Although I have no doubt the inspiration felt divine to him.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No ifs and butts about it.

<groannnnn>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oh! Timmer, i was about to say that. Yes, i read it in newspaper about 10 years ago the same thing that Star Gate was highly controversial because film makers showed aliens built the pyramids but Egyptians built pyramids. Honestly, there was no such evidence or possibility that human built the pyramids, because on top of the pyramid, you can see the tomb, which is very very very heavy, even 10,000 or 1 lakh men cannot pull the tomb and put it on the top of the pyramid. This raised several questions among archaeologist and scientist. Archaeologist says there is no much evidence of human built and scientist says may be some extra terrestrial could have helped these men to keep the tomb on top of the pyramid. But still its a mysterious thing to archaeologists and scientists. Nobody can provide proper proof or evidence for men or aliens built the pyramid.

Have a nice day! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT?
    uhm

Sunil, what kind of paper was that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

toilet; apparently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Read Erich Von Daniken, he knows the truth.

FACT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

toilet; apparently.

You're on a roll today D biggrin

pun intended
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    fireworks bounce fireworks
    lol applause punk yeah lol
    biggrin beer biggrin

D. , you're on a ROLL!!
    (not unlike toilet paper, apparently wink )

EDIT: DAMN, Timmer beat me to it by THREE seconds!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

toilet; apparently.

lol applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What's 3 seconds between friends? 3 sheets to the wind mate!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Martijn wrote
    What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT?
    uhm

Its mainly about film reviews, which publishes every fridays. Wow! i got great memory power. Is it not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

toilet; apparently.

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, now bear with me here, but I'm pretty sure I just read a post describing Stargate as controversial because it depicts aliens as builders of the pyramids? But I must be hallucinating because nobody is that retarded, right? Next I'll be reading about how Star Wars is controversial because there's no evidence that galaxies far far away have little green Jedi masters. I mean that's just absurd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ And that's why i have lost faith in humanity and moved to higher beings instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Okay, now bare with me here

First dinner and a movie, please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Damn you. Bloody stupid English language and all its nuances.
    Fine. BEAR.

Ya happy now?

slant