• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    Ah yes, Apocalypto with unfeasably sized prehistoric animals.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Exactly. Actually, none of Emmerich´s films have pretended to be anything more than 200 million dollars fireworks show/s.

The Patriot? Even Stargate is toned down compared to stuff like ID4, Godzilla and The Day After Tomorrow.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Timmer wrote

And an ultimately hugely boring film. vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, it's a very good film with a superb "nerve" throughout!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I quite liked it as well... though I was more than a bit reminded of the old C64 "Aztec Challenge" arcade game...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I quite enjoyed it too.

Hey, Mammoth's and all that, I'm easily pleased ( sometimes ) wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    spin
    I may be getting my spectacles confused. I was actually reacting to Apocalypto. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, well, I absolutely LOVED Apocalypto cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Exactly. Actually, none of Emmerich´s films have pretended to be anything more than 200 million dollars fireworks show/s.

The Patriot? Even Stargate is toned down compared to stuff like ID4, Godzilla and The Day After Tomorrow.

-Erik-

Ok, I´ll give you that. The Patriot at least tries to tell a story; a boring one, IMO, but a story after all. But for me it proved that what Emmerich does well is, quoting Tim, to marvel us at mega-scale death and destruction.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Whatever will we have next? Actors that want to direct? slant

biggrin

At least it's not as bad as footballers becoming actors. rolleyes

hey, I like Vinnie Jones, he's a born baddie wink

Sure Steven ain't thinking Eric Cantona? wink

Oooh-aaah-CANTONA!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote

Erik mentioned The Patriot (which I hated) as an exception. I've enjoyed most of his other films, ludicrous though they are. I guess one might compare him with Michael Bay in terms of producing ludicrous films designed solely for entertainment; and I think he would fare very well in that comparison. I haven't seen 10000BC though. Anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I haven't seen 10000BC though. Anyone?

Yeah, don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, don't.

OK, I won't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Erik mentioned The Patriot (which I hated) as an exception. I've enjoyed most of his other films, ludicrous though they are. I guess one might compare him with Michael Bay in terms of producing ludicrous films designed solely for entertainment; and I think he would fare very well in that comparison.

Michael Bay is on a superior league. You can hate his movies, but he has a personal style that many have tried to imitate failing miserably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik mentioned The Patriot (which I hated) as an exception. I've enjoyed most of his other films, ludicrous though they are. I guess one might compare him with Michael Bay in terms of producing ludicrous films designed solely for entertainment; and I think he would fare very well in that comparison.

Michael Bay is on a superior league. You can hate his movies, but he has a personal style that many have tried to imitate failing miserably.

Hmm. I'd have said that Emmerich paved the way for most of the explosion-dominated effects films which followed (including Bay's) and Bay's style is essentially Emmerich's, but with more cuts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, don't.

Indeed. Steer clear of that.

I've yet to see one single GOOD film made about the early days of human civilization (meaning 10.000 BC and earlier).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Well, you see a Bay film and you KNOW it´s Bay (the way he moves the camera, the editing, those travellings, etc.). Emmerich is a good artisan, no doubt about it, but his films and Stephen Sommers´ones (to name just one) look the same to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    I've yet to see one single GOOD film made about the early days of human civilization (meaning 10.000 BC and earlier).

When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth has some outstanding assets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As indeed did One Million Years BC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth has some outstanding assets.

Loana LOANA!!! cool punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    As indeed did One Million Years BC.

ungawa shame

Loana LOANA!!! cool punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, don't.

Though it too has it's minus points I would recommend Jean-Jaques Annaud's film Quest For Fire, it at least is a serious attempy and includes an invented language by Anthony ( A Clockwork Orange ) Bergess and body language by Desmond ( Thje Naked Ape ) Morris, a great score by Philippe Sarde too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, don't.

Though it too has it's minus points I would recommend Jean-Jaques Annaud's film Quest For Fire, it at least is a serious attempy and includes an invented language by Anthony ( A Clockwork Orange ) Bergess and body language by Desmond ( Thje Naked Ape ) Morris, a great score by Philippe Sarde too.

Interesting, thanks, I haven't seen that.

I had high hopes for a Jean Auel filmization. The 80's CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR with Darryl Hannah was NOT impressive, despite a charming Silvestri score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm afraid we'll have to beg to differ on the 'charming Silvestri score' wink

If Clan of The Cavebear was made now I'm sure it would be a lot better though historically "cavemen" have never been big box office. The problem with getting Neanderthals right is a big one, far more squat and far more powerfully built than we are and face make-up on actors just never looks correct to me when concerning these ancient species of mankind. In the film they just looked like dwarves with big foreheads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I'm afraid we'll have to beg to differ on the 'charming Silvestri score' wink

If Clan of The Cavebear was made now I'm sure it would be a lot better though historically "cavemen" have never been big box office. The problem with getting Neanderthals right is a big one, far more squat and far more powerfully built than we are and face make-up on actors just never looks correct to me when concerning these ancient species of mankind. In the film they just looked like dwarves with big foreheads.

Also the fear of having humans, but not much dialogue. Personally, I would have found it VERY interesting. A film driven almost exclusively by movements, gestures, "basic" body language, perhaps with some vocal sounds as communication (with subtitles, if necessary).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case I yet again recommend QUEST FOR FIRE, no voice over or subtitles, all done with vocalisation and body language, the film has a real charm IMO with some good intentionally funny moments in amongst some stark brutality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Extended trailer

Fuck me, that was pretty stupid... but very awesome. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    And there's nothing wrong with that. smile (If it doesn't pretend to be more than that).

Exactly. This is why i can't wait for this film! True, honest in your face ol'fashioned LOUD Hollywood.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, it's a very good film with a superb "nerve" throughout!

Haven't seen it but i LOVE the score! I am planning to watch it though...i like Gibson's work as a director so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.