• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - James Horner

Jimbo, Jimbo... get off your lazy arse and score more films. (Especially ones like this.) You used to do one every week or so.

I'm glad he his dedicating so much time to Avatar. I wish more composers would follow suit.

-Erik-

If that's the case, then I'm delighted. I had just assumed he was taking a long break.

With Goldsmith and Bernstein gone, Barry retired and Williams all-but-retired... Horner's the senior guy in my eyes. Above all the rest. I don't want him to fade away too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Really want a CD quality version badly..

Aren't the iTunes downloads iTunes plus? That's 256k AAC which is pretty much CD quality anyway. Unless you have super human hearing you CAN'T distinguish the difference between a 256K AAC file from an uncompressed FLAC or WAV file unless you throw it into a wav editor and LOOK at the two files.

-Erik-

I want scores as CD forms because I'm too lazy to plug my iBook into my speakers, especially when I'm napping in lazy afternoon. wink
    (No kidding it's really one of the reasons why I want a CD release. Why should we start up computers just to listen to music?!)

NP: The Legend of the Great King and the Four Gods - Joe Hisaishi

First listen! beer It's already very Hisaishi at the very first moment.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - James Horner

Jimbo, Jimbo... get off your lazy arse and score more films. (Especially ones like this.) You used to do one every week or so.

I'm glad he his dedicating so much time to Avatar. I wish more composers would follow suit.

-Erik-

If that's the case, then I'm delighted. I had just assumed he was taking a long break.

With Goldsmith and Bernstein gone, Barry retired and Williams all-but-retired... Horner's the senior guy in my eyes. Above all the rest. I don't want him to fade away too.

Heaven help him if he self-quotes extensively in AVATAR...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Heaven help him if he self-quotes extensively in AVATAR...

IF? It's the only sure thing wink But seriously, i don't think he gives a rats' ass; he's been doing it for so many years now I am sure he doesn't even notice it; it's be SO good for everyone else if they did the same too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    ..it's be SO good for everyone else if they did the same too wink

[stoned]Wait.... what?[/stoned]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shut up, Neil!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009 edited
    Johnny English

Shearmur

What a fun, fantastic score.
    Amazing themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009
    NP: Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman

One of the most charming, tear-jerking and emotionally power scores EVER. Really beautiful material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Windtalkers - James Horner

Nothing special, pretty generic stuff. There are good moments in almost every track, but they are only moments. Except for the last track I cannot name one single track that I would call great. Horner can do a lot better than this. It's one of those rare CDs where I liked the music more at my first listen. usually it's the other way around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ..it's be SO good for everyone else if they did the same too wink

[stoned]Wait.... what?[/stoned]

The "don't ever notice it", the self-copying thing. Just people getting over it at last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Caprica - Bear McCreary

This keeps growing on me with each listen.
    Musically speaking this is a fine wine indeed! Smooth, seductive and full bodied. cool
  2. William wrote
    NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still - Tyler Bates

vomit

you already reviewed it, why listen to that one again?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED -- John Carpenter & Dave Davies

What a brilliant march of the children punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - John Powell

First listen...

*cough... cough* 44 cues?!?!?! shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    JoPo sure has taken some inspiration from Tom Newman... tongue
  4. Atham wrote
    Caprica - Bear McCreary

This keeps growing on me with each listen.
    Musically speaking this is a fine wine indeed! Smooth, seductive and full bodied. cool

Works for me too.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ARMAND AMAR - home

Melancholic, with some beautifully captivating ethnic vocal work, esp. during the stunning opening track. The rest is standard Amar territory, on the Philip Glass side of things; very emotional overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NICO MUHLY - the reader

Fragile and ethereal in places, this makes for a very mature and somewhat depressing listen, esp. if you've watched the movie too. An impressive break-through for a promising composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    NICO MUHLY - the reader

Fragile and ethereal in places, this makes for a very mature and somewhat depressing listen, esp. if you've watched the movie too. An impressive break-through for a promising composer.

I didn't find it engaging in or away from the film. There were points in the movie where I found it rather distracting.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting. I thought it was quite fitting with the helpless tone of the film in places; what was that which distracted you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Interesting. I thought it was quite fitting with the helpless tone of the film in places; what was that which distracted you?

I can't recall because I saw the film back in December but I do recall both my wife and I mentioning in places that the score just didn't work. There were a couple of lengthy sequences were I wish there was no score at all.

-Erik-
  5. NP: TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN -- Steve Jablonsky

will it be like the movie? Weaker than its predecessor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I can't recall because I saw the film back in December but I do recall both my wife and I mentioning in places that the score just didn't work. There were a couple of lengthy sequences were I wish there was no score at all.

-Erik-

Well, i'll give you credit on the fact that some of the woodwind lines tend to be too long and tiring at places. It's where he carries his minimalistic takings in a very persistent way that tends to be heavy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN -- Steve Jablonsky

Like taking a larger poop on smaller pile of poop?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Like taking a poop on another pile of poop?

-Erik-

Haha win!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Like taking a larger poop on smaller pile of poop?

-Erik-

well it is weaker but functional

the only thing that bothers the shit out of me, where's the one moment I loved in the film? Well it doesn't appear to be on the CD at all, even though the track is on it

can't they even do this right? vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    confused Haven't understood what you're saying.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    confused Haven't understood what you're saying.

is this better?

well it is weaker but functional

the only thing that bothers the shit out of me, where's the one moment I loved in the film? Well it doesn't appear to be on the CD at all, even though the track is on it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You mean a track titled in a way that send to that very scene, contains different music than the scene itself in the movie?
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    You mean a track titled in a way that send to that very scene, contains different music than the scene itself in the movie?

no, the last track on the disc "I rise, you fall" doesn't contain the music which was heard in the scene in the movie, despite it being that very same scene. It seems (like in some other scores) they started that track by deleting material that came before it

And it is that material I loved during the movie