• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Ice age: dawn of the Dinosaurs (Powell)

mmm.....

After some tracks, I skipped to the "End Credits",

slant
    Ok, so you didn´t listen Powell reinventing himself (once again) with this work. Again with an animated project, Powell shows originality, freshness, nice orchestrations, epic choral moments, all trademarked with Powell´s style when dealing with this kind of films. A winner.

I wouldn't say he REINVENTED himself with Ice Age 3. It's an okay score for the genre. He most certainly DIDN'T surpassed ICE AGE 2, HAPPY FEET or HORTON HEARS A WHO with this one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    I'm with Jordi on this.

I really like Land Of The Lost.

Giacchino must have had a lot of fun on this score!

Giacchino obviously did have fun; the only sentiment I have when hearing those banjos and electric guitars all over the place with no structure, is to reach for ma buckit! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

mmm.....

After some tracks, I skipped to the "End Credits",

slant
    Ok, so you didn´t listen Powell reinventing himself (once again) with this work. Again with an animated project, Powell shows originality, freshness, nice orchestrations, epic choral moments, all trademarked with Powell´s style when dealing with this kind of films. A winner.

I wouldn't say he REINVENTED himself with Ice Age 3. It's an okay score for the genre. He most certainly DIDN'T surpassed ICE AGE 2, HAPPY FEET or HORTON HEARS A WHO with this one.

-Erik-

Well, yeah; it's standard Powell's animation music on auto-pilot with some great moments overall and some unlistenable. I'd take THE INCREDIBLES, HAPPY FEET, BOLT, UP, RATATOUILLE, any day over it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think it's at least as good as the second Ice Age score, though not better. Tracks like Mommy, Battles and End Credits are really fun to listen to! But I agree, it isn't anywhere near Bolt, Ratatouille or Up. I'm sure it'll work great in the movie, though (can't wait!).
  1. Nautilus wrote

mmm.....

After some tracks, I skipped to the "End Credits", wich contains a some kind of old fashioned western fanfarre, wich is really, really impressive. It's fucking cool.

so to enjoy Ice Age 3, you need to skip a lot of tracks? cheesy
    sounds like a fun release
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Skipping tracks is fun?
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Skipping tracks is fun?

apparently for some people it seems to be
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erm, why?
  3. look to what Nautilus wrote wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    dizzy spin Blame the heat over here!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    dizzy spin Blame the heat over here!

I know exactly what you mean wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    This infernal heat is spreading all over the world or what? slant

It's getting unbearable here. And to make matters worse there are loads of power cuts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's lovely here. cool

Work is done! Off to caipirinhas in a deck chair!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. DemonStar wrote
    This infernal heat is spreading all over the world or what? slant

It's getting unbearable here. And to make matters worse there are loads of power cuts!

for us in Belgium here, this is the limit
    but I'm guessing it will be completely unbearable for you there
    hang on buddy beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    News reports say the rains should arrive next week though. Kewl! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

Bella's Lullaby is so beautiful! If there's any one thing I really like about this score (and there's not much), it's the (at least aural) size of the orchestra. The sound seems to be created by a small ensemble of musicians, and this seems to work quite well, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009 edited
    Just finished playing David Hirschfelder's Australia. Besides a few solid upbeat action cues I was left rather bored by it.

NP: The Aviator - Dominic Frontiere

A 5 star gem! I fell in love with this score the first time I heard it back in 2007 and I still think it's one of the finest scores I've ever heard! The score is available on La La Land Records coupled with Frontiere's western Hang'Em High. While Hang'Em High is featured prominently on the front cover it's The Aviator that's the real discovery of the CD! The main theme performed by the horn's in "The Crash" is goosebump inducing!

Highly recommended for those that love classic, old fashioned, soaring, full bodied film scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, yeah; it's standard Powell's animation music on auto-pilot with some great moments overall and some unlistenable. I'd take THE INCREDIBLES, HAPPY FEET, BOLT, UP, RATATOUILLE, any day over it.

Have you listened to it yet? I'd say I agree with that. Although I'm not a big fan of the term 'auto-pilot', it's certainly not a score that reaches new heights for Powell. It's as you say: Standard Powell with some above-average moments. The album is a bit too long, and once a few tracks are taken away it makes for a nice entertaining 45 minute playlist.

I wouldn't recommend it to non-Powell fans as a place to start when it comes to Powell's animation scores, but I'd happily recommend it to Powell fans. Nothing groundbreaking (which is a lot to expect considering the subject matter), but I'm certainly happy with it.

Though as I've stated elsewhere, if this is the last animation Powell scores from some time, I won't be devastated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap i have smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Unsurprisingly I'm in the mood for...

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown John Powell

My own personal playlist which I MUCH prefer over the actual album. Wonderful stuff. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    I think it's at least as good as the second Ice Age score, though not better. Tracks like Mommy, Battles and End Credits are really fun to listen to! But I agree, it isn't anywhere near Bolt, Ratatouille or Up. I'm sure it'll work great in the movie, though (can't wait!).

Like I said, Ice Age 3 isn't going to be remembered as the better one of the Ice Age scores, but it's EASILY the most fun, energetic and enjoyable Powell score...I was going to say since Bolt, but considering that's only a few month old stuff, they're a great set of animation scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, maybe it gets all those positive adjectives because it's new and fresh wink Like when Kung Fu Panda and Horton came out for instance? Let's wait a couple of years and see wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, maybe it gets all those positive adjectives because it's new and fresh wink Like when Kung Fu Panda and Horton came out for instance? Let's wait a couple of years and see wink

Both scores you mention are very, very good... especially Horton which I just listened to again! It's rare these days that you hear choral work of that sort with a boat load of memorable and highly enjoyable themes featuring inventive and fresh orchestrations! Everyone favours Bolt but Horton was to me Powell's most impressive score last year and one of his finest!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bolt comes along as an easier to digest listening experience on CD. And less "all over the place"-y.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - apollo 13

Stunning score; shame we don't get much of this type of scoring these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bolt comes along as an easier to digest listening experience on CD. And less "all over the place"-y.

Bah! Bolt is enjoyable but lacks the creativity and uniqueness of Horton. Hell, I prefer Hancock over Bolt

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, maybe it gets all those positive adjectives because it's new and fresh wink

I think it is new and fresh simply because just when you think Powell has said his last word scoring animation films, he surprises us with a new, inventive score for this kind of movies.
    IMO, the likes of Newman (all of them) should grab a pencil and start taking notes.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, this kind of works, either coming from the newman's or the Powell's of the world (with exceptions like Chicken Run, finding nemo, happy feet etc) all sound the same-ish to me; some brilliant moments and a lot of cartoon filler music. I am not wetting my pants, but i can see how and others would; give me Paycheck or Bourne Supremacy or even UNITED 93 any day; talking about inventive film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And IS REALLY and REALISTICALLY speaking, ICE AGE 3 so inventive confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Not saying it is the most inventive score ever written, but considering all Powell has done in the genre, I´d say that yes, it is pretty original and inventive.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you