• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    NP: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper)

I'm not sure about this. Hooper's made some improvements, notably in making the mood more ominous than his previous Potter score but it just feels... there. "In Noctem" should be more noble and stately than the rather light touch Hooper provides -- it's pretty but it should've been more. I can't remember any really good cues aside from the "Weasley's Wizard Wheezes" and the cues incorporating Williams' themes.

It's both an improvement over "Phoenix" and a step back. I want to say both of Hooper's Potter scores are on the same foot, but haven't seen "Prince" yet so I want to hold back until after that.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    In Noctem is undoubtebly my favourite track on the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Stephen Warbeck

When I had read the novel and knew that there would be a film from it, I was eagerly looking for the score since music plays a huge part in the story. When they announced that Warbeck would score the movie, I was disappointed, since secretly I hoped for Morricone - I mean, this story about a music-loving mandolin-playing Italian officer falling in love with a Greek beauty in Cefalonia during WWII simply cries for Morricone!
    Anyway, the final result is a pleasant little score, not particularly memorable or great, but it is definitely good. I just wish Warbeck would have let his melodies develop a bit more...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited
    NP:Blood Diamond (JNH)

The "niciest" brother of Blak Hawk Down.

The main theme is addictive, and the stuff for Archer and Mandy is this kind of mindblowing and subtile amospheric music i really love!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dragonheart: A New Beginning - Mark McKenzie

Powerful fantasy music. As much as Edelman's first score, minus the synths. Liking it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote

When I had read the novel and knew that there would be a film from it, I was eagerly looking for the score since music plays a huge part in the story. When they announced that Warbeck would score the movie, I was disappointed, since secretly I hoped for Morricone - I mean, this story about a music-loving mandolin-playing Italian officer falling in love with a Greek beauty in Cefalonia during WWII simply cries for Morricone!
    Anyway, the final result is a pleasant little score, not particularly memorable or great, but it is definitely good. I just wish Warbeck would have let his melodies develop a bit more...

Loved it! It's an underrated little gem.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    keky wrote

Loved it! It's an underrated little gem.

Well, You don't have to be worried, Warbeck has an Oscar tongue
  1. THAT particular score is underrated, he meant.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    As you can see, Jordi uses the new quote functionalities. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Uncommon Valor James Horner

An early yet post-Khan effort from Horner. Not much of interest... until the last three tracks which are just early-Horner heaven! Pretty much a riff on his music from Wrath of Khan, which IMO is an awesome thing. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Batteries Not Included James Horner

I'm in an 80s Horner mood. And it's awesome.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think Horner has composed great works in every decade ( AVATAR is my most anticipated score this year ) but in the 1980's he hit the ball out of the park time and time and time again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm sooooo there too Steven!

Just played An American Tail 1 & 2. Plus Honey I Shrunk The Kids. Plus Natty Gann.
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, already given Natty Gann and American Tail a listen today too.
    You should totally get it Timmer.

( biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I ordered Natty Gann immediately it was available.......and it still ain't arrived slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    sad sad sad Natty Gann is sold out and I haven't ordered it yet sad sad sad
    (Secretly, I was hoping it would last just like Honey or Something Wicked)
    It's not available at SAE either any more so now I have to find a place where I can still buy it for less than 58 $, which is the Buy It Now price at e-bay right now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thick as Thieves (Atli Örvarsson) - In Film

A catchy and fresh main theme, a nice love theme and a Peacemaker-ish theme for the villain(maybe something to do with the "thanks to Hans Zimmer" at the end credits). Good work by Örvarsson despite the bland (although pleasant) movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    keky wrote
    sad sad sad Natty Gann is sold out and I haven't ordered it yet sad sad sad
    (Secretly, I was hoping it would last just like Honey or Something Wicked)
    It's not available at SAE either any more so now I have to find a place where I can still buy it for less than 58 $, which is the Buy It Now price at e-bay right now...

That's a big sad angry crazy

I had that happen too with Baby Secret of the Lost Legend. I still found a copy, but not as cheap as it originally sold at.

Devil's Advocate (James Newton Howard)

Newton Howard must've had the time of his life composing music for the devil himself. The music is pure evil translated into frickin' unsettling melodies, heart-piercing boy soprano solos, pant-shitting choral stuff and a helluva bloody dose of terrifying atmosphere. IMO it sure is one of his most interesting and original scores to date, right up there with Signs. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    You will be D's new bestest friend for those Devil's Advocate comments Gilles wink

I like the score a lot too! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Arnold
    Bond goodness... cool

Lethal Weapon kill

The Kamen Master
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Afrika Wataru Hokoyama

Quite possibly my favourite game score... no wait, Lair.... no, this.... hell I dunno. Both.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I ordered Natty Gann immediately it was available.......and it still ain't arrived slant

It finally arrived.............5.30pm this afternoon!? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

Newton Howard must've had the time of his life composing music for the devil himself. The music is pure evil translated into frickin' unsettling melodies, heart-piercing boy soprano solos, pant-shitting choral stuff and a helluva bloody dose of terrifying atmosphere. IMO it sure is one of his most interesting and original scores to date, right up there with Signs. punk

MY GOD! I NEVER THOUGHT I'D FIND A MAN WHO SHARES THE SAME SENTIMENTS FOR THAT GEM AS ME! You; my man. punk beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    You will be D's new bestest friend for those Devil's Advocate comments Gilles wink

See Gilles!? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

It finally arrived.............5.30pm this afternoon!? rolleyes

I'll be listening to it again tomorrow on my way down to Portsmouth (3 hour car journey, so I need something to keep me sane). It's positively glowing with Horner magic!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm going to give it my undivided attention tomorrow.

I wanted this score ever since I saw the film a long time ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade John Williams

The new mix on the expanded version is an absolute GODSEND. This is proof there is a God, and his name is John Williams.

punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "The Boat Scene" = bestest thing ever.

Well..not really, but you know...
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

MY GOD! I NEVER THOUGHT I'D FIND A MAN WHO SHARES THE SAME SENTIMENTS FOR THAT GEM AS ME! You; my man. punk beer

omg

We've found something of common interest.

devil devil devil devil devil devil

Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ^

See Gilles!? biggrin wink

beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    "The Boat Scene" = bestest thing ever.

Well..not really, but you know...

Escape from Venice?