• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    But boring, I guess?

Not really.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Balance.
    BALANCE.
    BALANCE!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited
    NP: Bambi - Frank Churchill & Ed Plumb (and Larry Morey... is he just a lyricist or composer? dizzy )

This score has many memorable themes... "exploring" theme, stags theme and of course the da-da-da Man theme, etc. According to DVD features they're mostly by Churchill... who wrote the beautiful songs too. I especially love the exploring theme, it's beautiful even while synchronizing all the movements of baby Bambi. Amazing.

And Love Is A Song is stuck in my head all day long! smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    HP and the Half-Blood Prince | nicholas hooper

It's quite a calm score

Ah.
    So it's boring.
    , with not a lot of grand moments or so

Right.
    Boring.
    , although near the end it, with Journey to the Cave as a first intro to a couple of action/spectacle tracks, it'll give a satisfying climax.

So it gets less boring at the very end?
    It's more on an emotional level that it scores.

It's bleedin' HARRY Potter, not DENNIS!
    Emotion, indeed!
    Not bad at all!

But boring, I guess?

Yes, I'm listening this score and it's boring.

Some people says it's an improvemnt from the previous one, but at least Order of Phoneix had longer tracks and some really good tracks :"fireworks" , "The Room of Requirements"

Can anyone say to this composer that the chorus doesn't make a score better???

I changed to..

NP:Signs (James Newton Howard)

I'm in Zimmer's friend mood these days.

You know wich tracks make my spine trembling...

James Newton Howard is really Good, really really good. He toke all the ingredients fom other composers but he transformed into his own style brilliantly.

I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: 101 Dalmations - Michael Kamen

A superb, fun orchestral score and an unusually good score release from Disney (especially for the 90's period). Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: 101 Dalmations - Michael Kamen

A superb, fun orchestral score and an unusually good score release from Disney (especially for the 90's period). Love it!

That was one of my favorite film music when I was a kid, along with the original film's score. Both are fun! They're different in styles but I think themes have a nice little similarity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    After Bambi I've got this score for a bit bigger hoofed creature...

NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron (bootleg, or promo, or whatever, unofficial stuff) - Hans Zimmer

Still many cues are missing (no Spirit's Leap? sad), but I'm just happy that I can finally hear Swimming, which is actually the movie version of Nothing I've Ever Known, with no Bryan Adams and Matt Damon! Just beautiful guitar! love

It's also great to hear Canyon Chase and Reunion. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron (bootleg, or promo, or whatever, unofficial stuff) - Hans Zimmer

Still many cues are missing (no Spirit's Leap? sad), but I'm just happy that I can finally hear Swimming, which is actually the movie version of Nothing I've Ever Known, with no Bryan Adams and Matt Damon! Just beautiful guitar! love

It's also great to hear Canyon Chase and Reunion. punk

I'd love to get the Village Attack music from this one, and the Train Escape in good quality (here it's a webrip from Dooley's website). But even removing the 2 webrips there's 50 min of score so that's great! Run Free is one of my favourite Zimmer tracks of all time.
  1. The Rocketeer (James Horner)

Before The Mask of Zorro there was this amazing swashbuckler. The main theme is unforgettable and an instant classic. The action cues are fantastic and frenetic. And the theme for Jenny must be one of the best love themes he ever wrote. I even love the songs which blend in very well and are beautifully sung. I would give my right pinky if Horner could deliver something of this magnitude and energy again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Fantastic score! I really MUST play it again and very soon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. John Debney - The Stoning of Soraya M.

Calling this score "Passion lite" is quite unfair. It's really emotional, especially in the eponymous track and much more restrained than Passion, still a dramatic score full of tragedy. I like it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Debney - The Stoning of Soraya M.

Calling this score "Passion lite" is quite unfair. It's really emotional, especially in the eponymous track and much more restrained than Passion, still a dramatic score full of tragedy. I like it.

Totally agree. For me it is like an extension (or improvement?) of The Passion. That particular cue, "The Stoning of Soraya M.", is Debney at his best.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Bregt wrote
    HP and the Half-Blood Prince | nicholas hooper

I got this as a review copy, but haven't heard the previous three scores, so I'm going blasphemy, and otherwise I wouldn't have heard it anyway. But I like this one. It's quite a calm score, with not a lot of grand moments or so, although near the end it, with Journey to the Cave as a first intro to a couple of action/spectacle tracks, it'll give a satisfying climax. It's more on an emotional level that it scores. There's a beautiful track Harry and Hermione, and also the tracks before the big ending are sometimes really beautiful. Whether themes return, I have no idea, though Williams' Hedwig's Theme has a few appearences. Not bad at all!

does this mean you'll review it?
    or it is for me?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. NP: IN THE ELECTRIC MIST -- Marco Beltrami

Quirky, dramatic, Beltrami in a nutshell
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Debney - The Stoning of Soraya M.

Totally agree. For me it is like an extension (or improvement?) of The Passion. That particular cue, "The Stoning of Soraya M.", is Debney at his best.

I'll take what you and Pawel are smoking.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I don't think of it as an extension and DEFINITELY not improvement. It's just a more restrained Middle East dramatic score from Debney, this time restrained.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Bregt wrote
    Whether themes return, I have no idea, though Williams' Hedwig's Theme has a few appearences. Not bad at all!

Hooper uses part of Williams' motif in "Quidditch, Third Year" for "Ron's Victory" too. As for Hooper's own themes, the first few bars of the Umbridge theme pop up in the beginning of "Living Death."
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    or it is for me?

Obviously you, since you heard the previous scores. smile
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    or it is for me?

Obviously you, since you heard the previous scores. smile

please restrain me as I'm jumping of joy face-palm-mt
  7. UNCLE JOE SHANNON -- Bill Conti

The jazz is fetching, and the disco beat around "Uncle Joe (Theme from Uncle Joe Shannon)" Rocky like in nature, but it is still just good and not great
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner

First listen...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Bought used off a FSM member:

Bernstein Box Set: "Gangs of New York"
    "The Journey of Natty Gann"
    "The Scarlet Letter"

GoNY is a good score. Was surprised to hear him reference his score to "The Great Escape".

(Track 10, "Boat Raid", about 0:35 in as I recall)

I'm in track 27 now.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009
    NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

Surely my favourite of the three, although I like all of them. IMO one of the best modern action scores where Powell expertly develops tension and adrenaline rush without going over the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

One of my all-time favourites. A true classic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner

First listen...

Excellent score. Played it twice back to back last night. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    keky wrote

I think it is pretty safe to say that both film and score can be called the essence of cinematography and scoring. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    keky wrote

I think it is pretty safe to say that both film and score can be called the essence of cinematography and scoring. smile

It's a very beautiful, heartfelt gem.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Medal of Honor: Underground - Michael Giacchino

Excellent score! The main theme is gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

I can say this 100% deserved the awards it got. The strings are especially what I really love in here. Wasn't used to the typewriter sounds in the beginning but now accustomed to that because I heard it works excellently in the film (which I've yet to see).