• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009
    The Buccaneer - Elmer Bernstein

Wow! shocked Great, lyrical score, with clear Ten Commandments overtones.
    How come this one went under the radar? This is GREAT stuff and extremely enjoyable in an amost Golden Age kinda way (and I know why: there are many Steiner-esque echoes due to the use of phrases from popular public domain marches and ditties).
    I'm enjoying the heck out of this!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Lovin' those two themes! punk

Good. Then stick with that score. wink

I think I will. smile

And I'll stay with the far-superior-on-CD Lost World. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I rather like both. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think the first score works brilliantly in the film but poorly on CD. The second is the complete opposite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I LOVE both. Though as albums, I'm with Anthony; I tend to prefer The Lost World.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    I think the first score works brilliantly in the film but poorly on CD. The second is the complete opposite.

So the second works poorly in the film but brilliantly on CD? confused dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

Whether that's what Anthony is implying (and incidentally if he is, is something I vehemently disagree with), then it is a perfectly logical happenstance.

For example, Zimmer is the King of bad score/good album. Mission Impossible II is a notable example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Anthony wrote

No, but that's because the themes (or rather motifs) on the second one as an album (though not in the first film) work way better as part of the first film as represented on the second album, though not as themes, but rather theme-like motifs. Especially the first one (album, not film), though the case could be made those are themes, rather than the second one (album, from the fist film. Not the second film. Those motifs sucked. Though only in the film.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    No, but that's because the themes (or rather motifs) on the second one as an album (though not in the first film) work way better as part of the first film (as represented on the second album, though not as themes, but rather theme-like motifs. Especially the first one (album, not film), though the case could be made those are themes, rather than the second one (album, from the fist film. Not the second film. Those motifs sucked. Though only in the film.)

Am I the only one oddly turned on at the moment?
    Anyone? No? Oh, just me then...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Twilight Zone: The Movie Jerry Goldsmith

An instant fix of Goldsmith's more creative side. (And this is certainly one of his most creative scores.)

love
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009
    Blown Away
    Alan Silvestri

Pure enjoyment for me. Yes, very repetitive themes, but I like 'em. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Michael Giacchino

Best. Main. Theme. Ever. cheesy punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

Man I'm hopelessly ADDICTED to this magnificent choral theme in Riddle Of Steel/Riders Of Doom and Battle Of The Mounds! punk

BY CROM! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote

No it isn't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote

No it isn't.

John Williams' "Smallville Theme" from Superman is! tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote

No it isn't.

John Williams' "Smallville Theme" from Superman is! tongue

-Erik-

biggrin

Allied Assault is VERY good though. cool
  1. NP: Valley of Flowers (Cyril Morin), following Avalon (Kenji Kawai)

Both are worth a hearing. Flowers is a bit of a disappointment when compared to Morin's work for the same director in Samsara, but isn't bad nonetheless. Avalon has some lovely ambient tracks.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: The Aviator (Howard Shore)

I think this is my favourite Howard Shore score since the LOTR trilogy, much as I like Eastern Promises, The Departed, Soul of the Ultimate Nation and History of Violence.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Valley of Flowers (Cyril Morin), following Avalon (Kenji Kawai)

Avalon has some lovely ambient tracks.

And one of the composer´s best (if not THE best) cues: Voyage to Avalon (Orchestral Version). Great music.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: TMNT - Klaus Badelt

Unhealthy, propulsive fun! Excellent! cheesy cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Jungle Book - Richard & Robert Sherman, George Bruns

Jazzy Jungle! cool

Thaaaanks Martijn wink

So cool it is.

NP Effi Briest Johan Sodervqist

Second listen. Very good arrangements for the string section.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MOBY DICK - Philip Sainton

A classic cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ....and I thought, why not!?

NP : MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

cool
  3. omaha wrote
    Blown Away
    Alan Silvestri

Pure enjoyment for me. Yes, very repetitive themes, but I like 'em. lick

would love to see this one released as well, cool score smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Jungle Book - Richard & Robert Sherman, George Bruns

Jazzy Jungle! cool

Thaaaanks Martijn wink

So cool it is.

NP Effi Briest Johan Sodervqist

Second listen. Very good arrangements for the string section.

Lovely isn't it? Sadly, unsurprisingly overlooked.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix (James Hannigan)

It's a creative melding pot of all that's good about film music, yet it's not written for a film, but rather the game based on the film... The writing's very inspired and creative, the themes are brilliant and memorable, the action cues energetic and awesome. And I don't have the comparison to make with the Hooper film version, having never heard it, but I know about the negative opinions and all that. But this is as close as you're ever gonna get to Williams' entries. There's much to be adored here. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix (James Hannigan)

It's a creative melding pot of all that's good about film music, yet it's not written for a film, but rather the game based on the film... The writing's very inspired and creative, the themes are brilliant and memorable, the action cues energetic and awesome. And I don't have the comparison to make with the Hooper film version, having never heard it, but I know about the negative opinions and all that. But this is as close as you're ever gonna get to Williams' entries. There's much to be adored here. smile

if only this kind of music could support the latest movie score of Harry Potter we heard sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited
    The new HP video game score (Half Blood Prince) by Hannigan is terrific too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    ....and I thought, why not!?

NP : MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

cool

Lovely stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

In my top 50 all time best scores, brilliant! cool

.......and Jenny Agutter.....oh sweet mama lick cool