• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's a little confusing. Am I correct with the following?

Deep Blue is the movie version of The Blue Planet.

Earth is the movie version of Planet Earth.

I think both feature films are wonderful on their own, as I'm only known with those.

You're right. Earth is literally clips from the tv series and while the score is freshly-recorded, it's the same - a bunch of cues from Planet Earth without much variation. Deep Blue on the other hand is a bit more different from the tv series. The Blue Planet isn't as awe-inspiring as Planet Earth, but it's still wonderful. (And the score is on the same level as Planet Earth.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    About Atlantis:
    One of the more surprising animated Disney movies out there. Style and story are quite different from what we´re used to get from the House of Mouse. For me, it´s the best movie of that last bunch they did shortly before Eisner killed the classic animation department. And the score ist quite wonderful. It starts like business as usual, and then, suddenly, you get hit, and very hard, with some of the most breathtaking epic scoring JNH has ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Miracle Worker - William Goldstein

Switched over to sample this TV score - and it's a stunner!

A score for a relatively small ensemble (including woodwinds, strings & acoustic guitar) it's a heartfelt score that sounds, to me, imbued with a subtle Americana feel without being out-and-out patriotic (if that makes sense).

Hmmm, sounds right up my alley, Alan.
    Where were you able to procure this one?
    Any samples available anywhere, that you know of?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Nice to see some interest!

As with a lot of my recent purchases, this one was a download:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Miracle-Wor … p;sr=301-2

You could also try his website http://www.williamgoldstein.com/ for a CD version - though it may may a CD-R that is offered.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Download or CD-R... Hm. That's slightly disappointing. slant
    Thanks for the links, though, Alan.

The samples hold some promise indeed but fade just as soon as they start to get properly interesting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: 48 Hours - James Horner

Aw MAN! slant The steeldrums are the exact same thing he did in Commando (which I love incidentally).
    I was hoping for something a bit more...well...different.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    48 Hours came first.

Sorry bud. It didn't even occur to me to mention it's similarity to Commando but on the other hand you didn't ask if it was similar to Commando.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't mind. And I wasn't blaming you! smile
    And I honestly don't care which one happened to be first. I was just hoping that Horner had something cool with steel drums twice rather than just once in two different scores.

Oh well.
    Back to Monkey Island, I guess! :mighty Caribbean pirate:
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Bolt (powell)

I can't say I prefer this one over his most crazy animation scores (For example, Horton). But Bolt is a great come back to his more balanced style we heard In Paycheck or Evolution.
    DemonStar wrote
    Yup, really fun score. Great main theme and very good action writing too. Love it!

I've seen the movie tonight and i can't believe how people prefer all over the place, disorganized and messy mickey mousing over proper grand themes, proper thematic, motific and melodic development and coherence that is the Bolt score.

Bolt is a nice movie, where the Score fits like a globe.

Bolt and Horton are very diferent movies thought. Horton Hears a Who! needs this kind of over the top and crazy music because Dr Seus world is crazy too. So it's perfect.

About the mikey mousing thing, I can say the only powell animated score with a lot of Mickey Mousing is Ice Age 3.

NP:BOlt (Powell)

I love the Agent Cody banks, Paychek and Evolution orcestrations. And for more I love Horton or Happy feet, I rather prefer this not so over the top orcestrations from his previous scores.

The End Credits is a great suite of the best moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote

Oh well.

I want this piece! and I want to play again the two the first games!!!!

I want to make sword fights using rude words!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Corpse Bride ~ Danny Elfman
    I just love it. The songs, the music and most of all I love playing Victor's Piano Solo.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

I want this piece!

You're welcome.

and I want to play again the two the first games!!!!

You're welcome.

biggrin "I am rubber, you are glue..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Bregt wrote
    Robinson! Where have you been? Is everything all right there?

hey Bregt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sooooooo nice to hear from you!
    Im doing ok thanks... Ive missed the forum so much...Glad to be commenting some again.
    How are you doing?
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked ROBINSON?!?!? shocked
    Where have YOU been?!?!?

THIS calls for celebratory wine drink cocktail champagne and bhangra !
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

I want this piece!

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

I want this piece!

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

bhangra bhangrabhangrabhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jordi, you're pulling a Sunil...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Martijn wrote
    shocked ROBINSON?!?!? shocked
    Where have YOU been?!?!?

THIS calls for celebratory wine drink cocktail champagne and bhangra !

Ive been just working... You know doing boring work for money hehehehehe
    How are you Martijn?
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Christodoulides wrote
    Robinson wrote
    Listening to Giacchino's Up and the gorgeous track called "Stuff we did".
    This is a great score that I personally have enjoyed very very much...

Hey mate, welcome back! wave Up is gorgeous, Bolt is gorgeous, i could easily live without the rest of the Powell scores though smile

Hello Demetris!!!!
    Wazzzzzzup?!!!!!!
    Robinson
  2. Medal of Honor Frontline (Mike Giacchino)

Technically I played this yesterday, but the music's every bit in my mind today... Could I ever forget it. No! It's too fantastic for that. Truly great spectacular sounding album. I wish every score album since could have a recording / mixing as heard on this one. Giacchino hit a homerun with this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Bolt is a nice movie, where the Score fits like a globe.

How does a score fit like a globe? wink smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:GI Joe (silvestri)

For some reason I'm enjoying a lot this score today.

It's uninspired, and it's real mess. Silvestri needs to go to new territories, but this sound reminds me my old days as a score fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cain's Hundred - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm amazed by how good this is. There's no tv music around at the moment which comes close to the level of invention and creativity in this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I'm amazed by how good this is. There's no tv music around at the moment which comes close to the level of invention and creativity in this.

I'll get this at some point, I don't think there's any danger of it selling out!? I liked the clips I heard.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Southall wrote

So in what era did he write this, what would you say it sounds the most like? I'm never sure with these obscure titles if I will like it. Boys From Brazil was a big turn-off for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's 1960's.

Pop over to FSM site and give the clips a listen Gilles.
  4. If I don't forget about it, I'll have a listen later Tim. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm not sure it will be for you, to be honest. It's got that "standard" 60s Goldsmith sound to it - which I love, but I don't think you do.
  5. Southall wrote

Looking forward to hearing this when it arrives.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I'm not sure it will be for you, to be honest. It's got that "standard" 60s Goldsmith sound to it - which I love, but I don't think you do.

You checked my profile? If it's in that "standard" 60s sound I think you may be right. I've always had a problem with older scores / recordings.

Fields of Freedom (Trevor Jones)

Another splendid high quality theme from Jones. His themes over the years have always had that epic, lyrical feel to it, for this one its an appropriate heroic hymn-like melody. But I don't know what's wrong with the performance. It sounds very subdued, drum rolls (or what do you call it?) sound very in the background, know what I mean, like they couldn't get a full workout? With a proper sound engineer or mixer this could've been much better. Or maybe it's just the quality of these damned compressed files? tongue
  6. NP: One Million Years BC - Mario Nascibmene

One of the soundtracks that got my attention as a child. Listening to it separately from the film I still get a sense of what the movie's all about - even down to the primitive existence of the tribes and the desolate landscapes.