• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    mkay
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Backdraft is cool, but TTRL wins hands down. Zimmer NEVER did something as fit and as emotional as that work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Backdraft is cool, but TTRL wins hands down. Zimmer NEVER did something as fit and as emotional as that work.

Yeah... it was called Backdraft!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Thin Red Line is Zimmer's best hands down.

Couldn't agree more. By far.

BACKDRAFT... BY A F__KING MILE!

-Erik-

It's by far his best "standard" score (ie the best of the ones where he's doing what he knows how to do with his eyes closed) but The Thin Red Line took him so far out of his comfort zone and yet he still nailed it perfectly. There aren't many films with Zimmer scores where I feel the film is anything but weaker for his presence, but those two are actually stronger because of it. But TTRL is such a good film, and the score plays such a key role, I say it's his best by miles.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Backdraft is cool, but TTRL wins hands down. Zimmer NEVER did something as fit and as emotional as that work.

Yeah... it was called Backdraft!

-Erik-

With you on this one Erik! Besides, I don't think that I've been able to listen to The Thin Red Line all the way through - ever. For me, The Thin Red Line is unlistenable (regardless of the composer.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Thin Red Line is Zimmer's best hands down.

Couldn't agree more. By far.

BACKDRAFT... BY A F__KING MILE!

-Erik-

Haven't heard that one either... or seen the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, The Thin Red Line is unlistenable (regardless of the composer.)

Fail quote of the year biggrin tongue wink kiss
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, The Thin Red Line is unlistenable (regardless of the composer.)

Fail quote of the year biggrin tongue wink kiss

wave biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    But TTRL is such a good film, and the score plays such a key role, I say it's his best by miles.

backdraft

-Erik-

PS - BTW, The Thin Red Line film was, IMHO, a load of rubbish! Fell asleep in the theatre about half way through trying to stomach the pompous BS Mallack was trying to stuff down my throat! Excellent score though... it deserves its high praises but Backdraft, while yes is a comfort zone score is a bold heroic work that perfectly created a fusion between synth and symphony. Backdraft is beautifully melodic and even though very up front with it's volume it still packs an emotional wallop and is a score that I love from start to finish. I can't say the same about Zimmer's TTRL because there are parts that are so tedious that I can't get through the entire album without skipping over something.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I cannot think of a single moment i'd want to skip, from THE THIN RED LINE, the score; that is a coherent musical work full of emotion, that flows naturally from note 1 to end, full of beauty; one that Zimmer factually seems unable to ever surpass.
  4. Ditto. beer
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I'd now go with The Da Vinci Code as his most enjoyable score though I don't think it adds anything to the ( very poor ) movie. I love The Thin Red Line score but I also agree with Erik that the film has a high pretentious BS content.

When I want something loud and thematic? Backdraft fits the bill fine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote

no.

What? no? I will not leave you alone with them. You do not know me, man! even though, if you say no, i will not step back. Count me on this! i am here, you should fear of me. You will not have all fun with them without me. I am coming.... Hahahaha... biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri)

I don't know why some people here just don't enjoy this score like I do. The length feels just right, and I love the loud fanfare that emerges in "Shooting Star" and "Lamia's Lair." I enjoy the movie as well, so maybe that's a contributing factor.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Can't get enough of this-

Bruno Nicolai - 99 Donne

So happy with this purchase! Nicolai scores for the revenge tale of imprisoned women.
    There's a sad, requiem-like theme that's is achingly beautiful and very Italian. There are themes for revenge (a little Italian western-ish with electric guitars, trumpets and percussion), some lonely sax themes and some tension devices. And as with Italian scores of this period, the score comes with variations of these but always interesting.
    Wow! Bravo Nicolai!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Matt C wrote

I don't know why some people here just don't enjoy this score like I do. The length feels just right, and I love the loud fanfare that emerges in "Shooting Star" and "Lamia's Lair." I enjoy the movie as well, so maybe that's a contributing factor.

Yup, I really enjoy this one.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Matt C wrote

I adore this score. I jsut rewatched the film a couple of days ago, and it reminded me how good the music was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Wish I could write "NP: Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan"
    But alas, I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Even though I ordered it within the hour it was first announced!
    I can relate to Timmer and his Natty Gann experience! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I think I'd now go with The Da Vinci Code as his most enjoyable score though I don't think it adds anything to the ( very poor ) movie. I love [b]The Thin Red Line score but I also agree with Erik that the film has a high pretentious BS content.[/b]

Well, like every other movie the director made, that is wink And yes, the Da vinci code is quite enjoyable indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Can't get enough of this-

Bruno Nicolai - 99 Donne

There's a sad, requiem-like theme that's is achingly beautiful and very Italian

SOLD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PHILIPPE ROMBI - Ricky

What a ridiculously beautiful and infectious main theme!

Changed to JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Defiance

One very overlooked recent score imo, not in the sense that it didn't get enough attention, but mostly because there are so many people around who don't think it's actually worthy of that attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I really loved the Defiance score, the violin solos really give me the shivers. I'd have loved to see it get the well deserved Oscar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    I really loved the Defiance score, the violin solos really give me the shivers. I'd have loved to see it get the well deserved Oscar.

Exactly, that's a very good point. And the violin work along with the melodic development in this score is really remarkable.
  5. I´ve used both Backdraft and The Thin Red Line in RPG sessions (with quite different storylines, of course), and both worked wonders. They are great scores written for two movies which are so different from each other you just can´t compare them. The only thing the whole discussion really tells us is that Zimmer can write up fantastic stuff for very different moods and needs. To compare those scores is to compare which mood you personally enjoy. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - angels and demons

A fantastic score in the movie, and on cd a pretty modern re-take on Da Vinci Code (although not superior in quality but still equally enjoyable). "Science and religion" is an exceptional example of inventive modern film scoring for this genre.

Previously played JAMES HEWNTON HOWARD - the happening

A brilliant modern score in all aspects, perhaps a lighter and darker on SIGNS / THE VILLAGE which also contains one of the most emotional compositions by the composer, "BE WITH YOU".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - terminator:salvation

Win.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the happening
    "BE WITH YOU".

There wasn´t one word you said about those I wouldn´t agree with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer

ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - public enemies

This score, for me, is everything i could have hoped for from this assignment, only 30 minutes short. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote

"Science and religion" is an exceptional example of inventive modern film scoring for this genre.

Exactly. I simply adore this track.

Take Care! smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thin Red Line? vomit
    Backdraft? punk

As to my own personal favourite: I really like Zimmer's piratey stuff.
    I'm going to hell, aren't I?
    shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn