• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    For now I am off to disc 2 of Horner's "Krull" (and finding very little to rip out).

Not surprised - every moment is full of such magnificence, it would be impossible to rip anything out.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY KRULL

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY HORNER

Very little to rip out of the score for suites. It's just that overrated and overblown

Just like Idi Amin, I guess?

HA HA HA. Let's see if he falls for it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    For now I am off to disc 2 of Horner's "Krull" (and finding very little to rip out).

Not surprised - every moment is full of such magnificence, it would be impossible to rip anything out.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY KRULL

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY HORNER

KRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! punk

AND ALL HAIL JUSTIN WHO KEEPS THE MIGHTY FLAME OF KRRRRRUUUUUUULLLLLLLL BURNING SO BRIGHTLY
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Last Embrace - Miklos Rozsa (Varese Sarabande CD Club version)

Absolutely magnificent. I haven't ordered the new Intrada edition yet due to lack of funds - hope it sticks round long enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Thin Red Line is a very misunderstood movie, that's true.

I found that it had way more meaning that the new world thingy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Memoirs of a Geisha (John Williams)

Proof that maestro Williams can tackle any genre or country-related music style. He so successfully combined his own with the Japanese style. I must have to say though, after 'The Chairman's Waltz' the album drags a little, but it ends beautifully. Gorgeous performances and superb themes all around. There's much to love here.

Agree with everything you said!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

While TRL is misconstrued by most of the males who saw it (coming off the back of that other film that will not be named), I've seen analysis that suggests that The New World was mostly misconstrued by the occasional Mediterranean male.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

While TRL is misconstrued by most of the males who saw it (coming off the back of that other film that will not be named), I've seen analysis that suggests that The New World was mostly misconstrued by the occasional Mediterranean male.

Only the Mediterranean male? biggrin My friend, i cannot remember a single other person who liked that movie the way you did! Except if my memory fails me, i remember most were ZZzzzed to death. Gosh i wonder why............[5 minutes of zoom out of a forest] [10 minutes of slow left-pan] [15 minutes of cross-fade into still shot of water with sun shining on it] [voiceover: "mother" (10 minutes rant about mother nature] [2 minutes right-pan] smile
  2. Sigh. Irony is wasted on continental Europeans.

:runs-for-life:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Only the Mediterranean male? biggrin My friend, i cannot remember a single other person who liked that movie the way you did!

Well, there's me. So far 100% of the people who love The New World seem to be non-Mediterranean. So Franz's hypothesis seems to be backed up by the empirical evidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I love The New World too! Absolutely beautiful and probably his best work. Sadly misunderstood, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    I like Pocahontas, and that song "Just Around the River Bend".
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    BobdH wrote
    I love The New World too! Absolutely beautiful and probably his best work. Sadly misunderstood, though.

I found it boring but I appreciated it a lot at the same time. I would like to watch it again. Horner's score is very good. Too bad so much wasn't used, although the classical pieces worked really well in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

It's one of Zimmer's very best. No argument from me on that fact. The first 4 tracks grab a hold of you and MAKE you stick around for the rest. Unfortunately, as strong as those first 4 tracks are I can't stick around for the reminder as I have a napping 3 year old I have to wake up. However, I will be back this evening to finish up the rest. It's the kind of score I need to hear right now. Magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. smile

All this TTRL talk gives me a will to spin it, but honestly right now it's too late, so I'll do it tomorrow.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Cemetery Club - Elmer Bernstein

Nobody other than me has ever even mentioned this enchanting, beautiful score by Bernstein. Its theme is one of his very best. Great album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    JOHN WILLIAMS - GREATEST HITS (1969 - 1999)

Great 2 CD album! now i am playing, Duel of the Fates from The Phantom Menace. Its really great music from Maestro. This is one of the best theme music ever written for Star Wars saga. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    THE BOAT RACE - STUART LITTLE

Great track from Alan Silvestri. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Only the Mediterranean male? biggrin My friend, i cannot remember a single other person who liked that movie the way you did!

Well, there's me. So far 100% of the people who love The New World seem to be non-Mediterranean. So Franz's hypothesis seems to be backed up by the empirical evidence.

So true. I am not Mediterranean and love The New World. It's maybe just that contemplative movies are not designed for the hot-tempered Mediterranean people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - Horner

At last I have it!

Geez I miss this kind of scoring! Bliss! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorGretta
    keky wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So true. I am not Mediterranean and love The New World. It's maybe just that contemplative movies are not designed for the hot-tempered Mediterranean people.

Hi there. Well, about The New World: I loved it (I'm Dutch) and so did my Greek friend with whom I watched it.... smile I believe the Wagner piece was incredible in the movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan - Horner

At last I have it!

Geez I miss this kind of scoring! Bliss! cool

punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

The powerful brass and accompanying chants in Red Warrior, followed by the terrific action cue Way Of The Sword is one of my all time favourite scoring moments by Hans.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DARK KNIGHT - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

In my book this score is okay but nothing to get hyped about ( which it seriously was, at least on this board ).

As for the film I think it deserved a better score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DARK KNIGHT - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

In my book this score is okay but nothing to get hyped about ( which it seriously was, at least on this board ).

As for the film I think it deserved a better score.

I think this score is one of the biggest achievements in Zimmer's career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Gretta wrote
    keky wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hi there. Well, about The New World: I loved it (I'm Dutch) and so did my Greek friend with whom I watched it.... smile I believe the Wagner piece was incredible in the movie.

Too bad he had a great score by Horner and decided to chop it off and shoot it away replacing it with classical pieces.
  4. James Horner - Patriot Games

After reading the novel. Originally I hated the score, now I realize that it has few good rhythmic ideas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Never heard that one, I only ever got the sequel score, which I think is pretty damn good. But I think it's at least as original as Patriot Games, isn't it? As in not very.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Indeed, if you like Thunderheart or The Name of the Rose, this is a score for you. The Main Title though is one of Horner's best tracks. And I'm honest.
  6. Christodoulides wrote

Too bad he had a great score by Horner and decided to chop it off and shoot it away replacing it with classical pieces.

Too bad he's one of the few directors out there who does what needs to be done.
    (The longer version of The New World btw, with an extra 42 mins, has a bit more of the Horner score.)
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Never heard that one, I only ever got the sequel score, which I think is pretty damn good. But I think it's at least as original as Patriot Games, isn't it? As in not very.

Oh, and the classical rip-offs are the same - both scores copy Khachaturian's Adagio and Shostakovich's 5th Symphony. Clear and Present Danger only adds Aaron Copland to the mix.