• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    n.p. BRIAN TYLER - fast and furious (2009)

When played loud and you're in the mood, this makes for a packed adrenaline ride of great enjoyment. punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Drag me to Hell
    A new great Horror score by Young? Count me in, I have a lot of Horror-themed RPG sessions in front of me and was looking for new stuff to scare my players anyway. To anyone who´s already listened to it: Which former Young score would this one compare most to?

I'd probably equate it with the Hellraisers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Drag me to Hell
    A new great Horror score by Young? Count me in, I have a lot of Horror-themed RPG sessions in front of me and was looking for new stuff to scare my players anyway. To anyone who´s already listened to it: Which former Young score would this one compare most to?

I'd probably equate it with the Hellraisers.

Me too; with a more modern vibe in it, especially in the rhythmic sections of some pieces. The creepy choir whispering and talking effect is very gripping too and the main theme is bloody infectious!
  1. Southall wrote
    Matt C wrote
    I'm very interested in seeing what Malick's done with The Tree of Life, especially since Alexandre Desplat's working on it. Hopefully Desplat was willing to accomodate the inevitable edits and rearrangements more than Horner did.

And the soundtrack should be something to hear. Malick almost always coaxes the best out of the composers he works with.

I am greatly looking forward to both film and score, but a little nervous about what fate might befall Desplat. While as a film composer he's nothing like Horner, he IS a bit "proper" in his approach, like Horner, rather than being more like Malick's other past composers Morricone or Zimmer, happier working in that more "fluid" environment.

It will be interesting to see. From what I hear, GOLDEN COMPASS was a score where he needed to re-record a lot to meet shifting notions of what the final edit was. And I suspect the way he wrote for BEAT MY HEART SKIPPED (and other French films) would be pretty good preparation for the heavily edited score ahead. Just by virtue of coming from a French cinema background, Desplat would have come across this approach quite a bit already.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have trust in Desplat; if there's one who can do it now, he's probably that man. It's certainly one of the most interesting assignments of the recent years, if you ask me.

ALAN SILVESTRI - G.I.Joe

Cheapest (in all terms) film score from major film composer i've heard during the recent times, from what i recall. Total fail, major disappointment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CARL VINE - the battlers

Quite Delerue-ish / Barry-ish. Love it, sweeping and romantic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Drag Me To Hell - Christopher Young

THIS. IS. A. GREAT. HORROR. SCORE!

EDIT - "Auto-Da-Fe" has to be heard to be believed! This second to last track opens with this cheesy organ riff which is utterly fantastic and then explodes into a frenetic piece that, while sounds unorganized, is a testament to Young's skills as a composer to create such a beautiful and wonderful piece of chaos! And then Young closes one of the strongest scores of the year with a horror concerto the likes of we have never heard!

-Erik-

I haven´t heard it outside the film yet, but if "Auto-Da-Fe" is the final track of the soundtrack (the séance session) then yes, one of the best tracks of the full soundtrack and one of Young´s best. As for the end credits suite, simply awesome. It´s been a long time since I went to a movie with no idea of the score, without having listened a single note. And I have to say the pleasure was fantastic.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Hellraiser?!
    Bloody Hell, that would be awesome!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRIS TILTON - jumper game score

Bourneritis of the highest but also most inventive degree wink
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Drag Me To Hell - Christopher Young

THIS. IS. A. GREAT. HORROR. SCORE!

Highly , HIGHLY recommended!

-Erik-

Okay this I have to hear!! I was just playing The Fly II earlier and that score is just splendid in its atmospherics and use of themes, including a gorgeous main theme statement in 'Dad'. If that new score can just sound a little like that combined with his spectacular Hellraiser writing, I'm totally interested. I think 'The Uninvited' wasn't all that great. Not bad, just nothing hellraising, ahem!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Star Wars: A New Hope (John Williams)

Absolutely horrible! What was Williams taking when he wrote this? The good side is it's not as horrible as his vomit-inducing 'The Empire Strikes Back' or the truly abysmal 'Return of the Jedi'!!!!!

Bloody awful. My first bucket is already full. vomit

The urge to stop playing this is huge !!!!!

One of the worst scores ever !

Okay, enough with this... tongue dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. James Horner - Clear and Present Danger

A better score than Patriot Games for numerous reason. The bigger orchestral sound is not only due to it being merely a sequel to the first score. The movie has a bigger political/military background than Patriot Games (which is a vengeance story with Jack Ryan joining CIA for a while, but STILL family based). In Clear and Present Danger politics are much more involved (with a rather pronounced part for the President). This made Horner add a bigger orchestral palette and some Americana to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bee Movie - Rupert Gregson-Williams

Very enjoyable, fun orchestral score! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - drag me to hell

This composer could kick anyone's ass when it comes to horror movie scoring, he's the absolute master i must say. punk

Very hard to argue with that D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Hard Contract...Alex North. This is nothing special. The bonus for me was to be able to watch the film which starred Lee Remick and James Coburn.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Bernard Herrmann - North by Northwest

An amazing classic. McNeely's re-recording is very good. 'Nuff said. punk beer
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Lonely Are The Brave - Jerry Goldsmith

So glad I ordered this! Much better than the bootleg!
    Great western scoring by the big 'G'! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Atham wrote
    big 'G'! cool

There's only ONE Big G. angry dino
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Don't get me wrong, Goldenthal is very good too but ............. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You don't know the powers you're trifling with, boy! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Atham wrote

So what is it that makes this superior to the bootleg? Do you own both?

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Hard Contract...Alex North. This is nothing special. The bonus for me was to be able to watch the film which starred Lee Remick and James Coburn.
    Thomas

I think that if you have the theme from it that is more than enough. The theme is "Chinatown" like but the CD is stereo and mono remaining versions of the material.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    sdtom wrote
    Atham wrote

So what is it that makes this superior to the bootleg? Do you own both?

Thomas

I have both.
    The sound is greatly improved in the Varese release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Did you also order Hard Contract?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    No. Not yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

To The Roof, Bim Bam Smash = some of JP's best material ever! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    CARL VINE - the battlers

Quite Delerue-ish / Barry-ish. Love it, sweeping and romantic.

Ooh, interesting. Never heard of it. Where can this be bought?
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Star Wars: A New Hope (John Williams)

Absolutely horrible! What was Williams taking when he wrote this? The good side is it's not as horrible as his vomit-inducing 'The Empire Strikes Back' or the truly abysmal 'Return of the Jedi'!!!!!

Bloody awful. My first bucket is already full. vomit

The urge to stop playing this is huge !!!!!

One of the worst scores ever !

Okay, enough with this... tongue dizzy

you sir reek cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Thanks to the above I really fancied playing this.....

NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

Absolutely sublime punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DRAG ME TO HELL - Christopher Young

I love this! 4 minutes into "Loose Teeth" is probably one of the coolest things I've heard this year. What is making that messed up "groan" sound!? cool