• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Drag Me To Hell - Christopher Young

THIS. IS. A. GREAT. HORROR. SCORE!

Highly , HIGHLY recommended!

-Erik-

Okay this I have to hear!! I was just playing The Fly II earlier and that score is just splendid in its atmospherics and use of themes, including a gorgeous main theme statement in 'Dad'. If that new score can just sound a little like that combined with his spectacular Hellraiser writing, I'm totally interested. I think 'The Uninvited' wasn't all that great. Not bad, just nothing hellraising, ahem!

The Fly II is such a massive horror score too! Glad you're liking it, not too many people seem to be mentioning that modern classic anymore!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    DRAG ME TO HELL - Christopher Young

I love this! 4 minutes into "Loose Teeth" is probably one of the coolest things I've heard this year. What is making that messed up "groan" sound!? cool

I read somewhere that it's Chris Young himself.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    CARL VINE - the battlers

Quite Delerue-ish / Barry-ish. Love it, sweeping and romantic.

Ooh, interesting. Never heard of it. Where can this be bought?

Maybe here?
    http://www.amazon.com/Battlers-Carl-Vine/dp/B000003IYP
    http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=171541
  1. Suite #1 from Goldsmith's Legend (as edited by Justin). I must say that this is the first I've heard clips from Legend and actually considered buying the score. Most of the music I've heard from it before really turned me off from it, but Justin has selected some nice music to compile together.
  2. All the suites will have all the bits I think were good enough to hear from the score; your first judgement might prove correct.

Anyway, I hope you all like the suites. Suite 2 in about an hour.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Justin - Yor editing needs a bit of work. You need to find a natural progression between the two pieces you are editing or else the suites really don't hold up as stand alone piece of music... more like a collection of short cues roughly edited together. I'll upload a few of my suites for you all to listen to so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, Justin, keep practicing... I'm really interested in what you have done here.

-Erik-e
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I had only two things in mind when making the edits in the suites:

1. Does the next part play well after the first (not an jarring, abrupt change in style; continues on the same theme; sound like it "fits" with the feel and emotion of the previous piece)

2. Could be edited together without causing a hugely noticable edit like a couple or so times in my "Eraser" suites.

After this I will move slowly onto "Krull" (that'll be HARD to fit together)

And then maybe ... maybe ... "The Shadow".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    Suite #1 from Goldsmith's Legend (as edited by Justin). I must say that this is the first I've heard clips from Legend and actually considered buying the score. Most of the music I've heard from it before really turned me off from it, but Justin has selected some nice music to compile together.

Everyone is different and likes different things, of course - and if I were to edit Legend into what I consider the essential parts, it would be the whole album. One of Goldsmith's most amazing accomplishments, I think (but the one Goldsmith score that divides opinion more than any other, at a guess).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Star Wars: A New Hope (John Williams)

Absolutely horrible! What was Williams taking when he wrote this? The good side is it's not as horrible as his vomit-inducing 'The Empire Strikes Back' or the truly abysmal 'Return of the Jedi'!!!!!

Bloody awful. My first bucket is already full. vomit

The urge to stop playing this is huge !!!!!

One of the worst scores ever !

Justin, are you signing in under someone else's ID?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rambling Rose - Elmer Bernstein

Several of the high number of Bernstein releases in the last few years have been pretty ordinary (with exceptions, of course) but over the last few days I've been going back to the scores that made him one of my favourites, and this is one. What absolutely gorgeous, beautiful music. Nobody else wrote film music with this charm.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DRAG ME TO HELL - Christopher Young

I love this! 4 minutes into "Loose Teeth" is probably one of the coolest things I've heard this year. What is making that messed up "groan" sound!? cool

I read somewhere that it's Chris Young himself.

-Erik-

Okay I listened to it though the melodic stuff is very impressive, classic Young, the ambient stuff is harder to get into... Well of course it is, it's horror rolleyes

I just mean to say I've got to listen to it a few times to really get the scope of the thing. And on speakers, not on these MP3 in ear-plugs I've heard it through. smile But I can't say I'll find this better than the melodic shockers he's done in the past.

Southall wrote

Justin, are you signing in under someone else's ID?

I can assure you, sir, that no one else is writing these remarks but my own sick braincells. tongue

And for the record, Star Wars su... uhm, rocks.... Pheewww!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: my own John Williams playlist

Bliss. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    ^
    I hear tale it's better than Justin's Krull edit!? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. SYMPHONETTE #2

couldn't resist it.... shame
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. NP: Stop Loss (John Powell)

Just the last cue. It reminds me of 'Homeless March' from Poledouris's gorgeous AMERIKA.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : New Worlds - David Shire

Excellent track from his score to 2010, seriously good!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Star Wars: A New Hope (John Williams)

Absolutely horrible! What was Williams taking when he wrote this? The good side is it's not as horrible as his vomit-inducing 'The Empire Strikes Back' or the truly abysmal 'Return of the Jedi'!!!!!

Bloody awful. My first bucket is already full. vomit

The urge to stop playing this is huge !!!!!

One of the worst scores ever !

Okay, enough with this... tongue dizzy

applause Bad joke of the year. kill
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

After watching the (terrific) movie, I began to appreciate this one even more. The ethnic material is perfectly used, the emotional cues (especially Oogway Ascends) are lovely and the action music is spot-on. I also love Po's theme and feel it fits the character perfectly. Even the electronics are well used so they don't feel out of place. 4.5 stars from me, lovely score.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: In My Sleep - Conrad Pope

Yes, "Drive to Gwen's" is heavily influenced by Pope's work on John Williams' War of the Worlds (as well as Desplat's piano writing in quieter moments). However, there's something hypnotic about it that's distinctly original, particularly in "Main Title Sleepwalking" with the meandering piano, fluttering woodwinds and undulating strings. It's just a beautiful yet delicate and uneasy score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote

After watching the (terrific) movie, I began to appreciate this one even more. The ethnic material is perfectly used, the emotional cues (especially Oogway Ascends) are lovely and the action music is spot-on. I also love Po's theme and feel it fits the character perfectly. Even the electronics are well used so they don't feel out of place. 4.5 stars from me, lovely score.

It's one of my most played scores. I love the film and the music way more than can be expressed over these forums. I hope Zimmer and Powell return for the sequel!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    I hope Zimmer and Powell return for the sequel!

Ditto!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Stop Loss (John Powell)

Just the last cue. It reminds me of 'Homeless March' from Poledouris's gorgeous AMERIKA.

I thought the whole score was powerful, and definitely overlooked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It's one of my most played scores. I love the film and the music way more than can be expressed over these forums. I hope Zimmer and Powell return for the sequel!

There's a sequel!?! :buckit:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Coming in 2011, titled Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom. wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Drag Me To Hell - Christopher Young

Wonderful stuff! Young at his best here!
    Great fun. Yet quite scary at times!
    And here I was thinking such exciting and thematic score music wasn't written anymore!
    Well done Mr. Young! cool
  7. Something Wicked This Way Comes (James Horner)

Great sound and good track sequencing can make a world of difference, I'm now enjoying this a whole lot more than the unofficial release (which I hated), but it still doesn't rank as high as his other 1983 epics. The main theme is typical Horner loveliness. Not one I'll put on every week, that's for sure, but it has some good moments.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. NP: Lover's Prayer (McNeely)

A personal favourite among McNeely's works. Both main themes are gorgeous evocations of a more romantic era of film music, close to the heart of Rachmaninov.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    McNeely is SO underused, I wish the man got bigger and better projects...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I liked Joel McNeely score for Flipper. It is so sweet and also some of the tracks sounded like of John Williams style. Did anyone have this score?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Lover's Prayer (McNeely)

A personal favourite among McNeely's works. Both main themes are gorgeous evocations of a more romantic era of film music, close to the heart of Rachmaninov.

My favorite McNeely film score.

DemonStar wrote
    McNeely is SO underused, I wish the man got bigger and better projects...

You know... with those direct to video Disney sequels McNeely is able to really let loose. Listening to something like Cinderella III or Tinkerbell: The Movie, I don't think he would get away with a "sound" like that THIS if he was scoring a major film. Sad yes, but at least he is working and delivering one gorgeous score after another.

-Erik-