• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    NP: Battlestar Galactica : Season 4 - Bear McCreary

Sublime from start to finish!
    Such a wonderful 2 CD set with not only stunning music but great liner notes by just about everyone in the cast and crew. Especially nice message from Stu Phillips composer of the original 70s BSG.
    Frakking amazing television scoring that will always be returned to time and time again! cool
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Spacecamp - John Williams

I've read a few comments on other message boards stating that this score is just Williams on auto-pilot. IMHO, I think its Williams at his best.

Maybe he´s at his best when he´s on auto-pilot? wink

No, SpaceCamp surely is a nice little jewel that´s rarely mentioned. It is a slightly cheesy score, but serves its movie quite well and delivers what Williams is best at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    The Cowboys - John Williams

This is one of the best and unique score album by Maestro. Did anyone have this score? if no, then surely you miss this gem.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Spacecamp - John Williams

I've read a few comments on other message boards stating that this score is just Williams on auto-pilot. IMHO, I think its Williams at his best.

Maybe he´s at his best when he´s on auto-pilot? wink

No, SpaceCamp surely is a nice little jewel that´s rarely mentioned. It is a slightly cheesy score, but serves its movie quite well and delivers what Williams is best at.

Agreed. It's main theme is brilliant.

Aliens - The Deluxe Edition (James Horner)

AWESOMEFOOKINBRILLIANT

I adore the sound of this, dark and unsettling, yet always interesting underscore, and when the ballsy action starts, there's no stopping it, from that point on I'm in film score heaven !!!! punk punk punk

I don't mind the rips, which just add to the atmosphere.

And isn't Combat Drop just the most amazingly written unused cue of all time? Granted, it wouldn't have worked in the film, but I'm so happy they included it on the album, and not the film version, which isn't Horner's anyway. It flat out rocks.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    The Cowboys - John Williams

This is one of the best and unique score album by Maestro. Did anyone have this score? if no, then surely you miss this gem.

The Americana sound is hardly unique to Williams but yes, it is a good score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

Great Score album but as usual some cues are missing. But its quite satisfactory. Transylvannia is quite groundbreaking track. Overall, this is really groundbreaking score. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Overall, this is really groundbreaking score. wink

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

explode
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Groundbreaking? As in like the invention of the toilet?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote

Great Score album but as usual some cues are missing. But its quite satisfactory. Transylvannia is quite groundbreaking track. Overall, this is really groundbreaking score. wink

Couldn't agree more.
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely Are the Brave

I love this score and now my Club CD copy came. It's really great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely Are the Brave

Frankly I wish Goldsmith had written more groundbreaking scores, like Alan Silvestri did. When I listen to something like Lonely are the Brave, or indeed later efforts such as Chinatown, all I can think is that I wish Silvestri had been around at the time, so he could have brought into play the techniques he later developed in such groundbreaking fashion on films such as Ricochet and Sgt Bilko.
  4. applause

This is simply an amazing score, isn't it James?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    so he could have brought into play the techniques he later developed in such groundbreaking fashion on films such as Ricochet and Sgt Bilko.

Ricochet is a solid, aggressive, meaty score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    so he could have brought into play the techniques he later developed in such groundbreaking fashion on films such as Ricochet and Sgt Bilko.

-Erik-

If you say so! (Prefer Eraser myself.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Me too but that still doesn't mean that Ricochet is shit. Do I have to start bring up classic, groundbreaking titles like Mr. Baseball and Criminal Law...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. But does Silvestri have scores like Lonely and the Brave, Chinatown, Patton, The Omen, Star Trek: TMP? I beg to differ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But does Silvestri have scores like Lonely and the Brave, Chinatown, Patton, The Omen, Star Trek: TMP? I beg to differ.

Silvestri has written a handful of great scores... some are considered modern day classics. Back To The Future, Predator, Forrest Gump, etc. Is Silvestri as good as Goldsmith... well, of course not, but to dismiss almost his entire body of work because you are putting him up against a fucking legend is ridiculous!

-Erik-
  6. The whole point is whether Silvestri wrote groundbreaking scores, aside from the bad pun Sunil made and the answer is not really. I love Forrest Gump as much as the next guy, but is it any groundbreaking?

And what happened with Silvestri recently? He was one of the composers I trusted never to sound like RC, but then came Tomb Raider 2 and GI Joe...
  7. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Judgement Night and What Women Want for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The whole point is whether Silvestri wrote groundbreaking scores, aside from the bad pun Sunil made and the answer is not really. I love Forrest Gump as much as the next guy, but is it any groundbreaking?

Personally, I don't care. Silvestri usually writes constantly good or great music. However, since The Polar Express is do feel like he is on auto-pilot.

PawelStroinski wrote
    And what happened with Silvestri recently? He was one of the composers I trusted never to sound like RC, but then came Tomb Raider 2 and GI Joe...

Tomb Raider is actually really, really good. Silvestri has yet to really catch up to the times with the synth sound but the theme he wrote is excellent, the action music is exciting and he wrote one of the cues of his career with "Pandora's Box."

-Erik-
  8. Polar Express is one of my favorite Silvestri scores actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: LONELY ARE THE BRAVE...GOLDSMITH. This is the new Varese release.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  9. John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

Great score. I love the thematic material and the general orchestrations. A wonderful restrained work from the maestro. The Japanese instrumentation and the overall respect for the culture is commendable. It's a really inspired score as well, since Williams is an admitted fan of the source material.
  10. Southall wrote
    Sunil wrote
    I liked Joel McNeely score for Flipper. It is so sweet and also some of the tracks sounded like of John Williams style. Did anyone have this score?

Me. Very enjoyable.

I like that score a lot as well, wonderful catchy opening, some great orchestral rousing music and enjoyable melodic music around it, music that some of today's composer can't even seem to bring

which makes me say it once again

BRING BACK JOEL MCNEELY crazy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But does Silvestri have scores like Lonely and the Brave, Chinatown, Patton, The Omen, Star Trek: TMP? I beg to differ.

Silvestri has written a handful of great scores... some are considered modern day classics. Back To The Future, Predator, Forrest Gump, etc. Is Silvestri as good as Goldsmith... well, of course not, but to dismiss almost his entire body of work because you are putting him up against a fucking legend is ridiculous!

-Erik-

As Pawel said, I only did that because of Sunil's absurd (though hopefully tongue-in-cheek) claim that Van Helsing is "groundbreaking".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    As Pawel said, I only did that because of Sunil's absurd (though hopefully tongue-in-cheek) claim that Van Helsing is "groundbreaking".

Ah, missed that. That is indeed absurd!

-Erik-
  11. NP: THE DEVIL'S TOMB -- Bill Brown

First listen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely Are the Brave

While not groundbreaking in my opinion it is certainly a notch above many western scores.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  12. The theme is amazing. Maybe the score isn't "groundbreaking" in the most general term, but it did bring Goldsmith's voice to a wider audience and don't forget who recommended Goldsmith for the job.