• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Antony & Cleopatra - John Scott

John Scott's greatest work, IMO. (Has anything else really been so good?)

I agree. He wrote other really remarkable scores though (that none of the films deserved on the other hand): "The North Star", "The Shooting Party", "Shogun Mayeda", "King of the Wind",....but obviously his best work IS Antony and Cleopatra.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Hmm, I didn't like Greystoke so much, but King Kong Lives is very good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DRACULA - JOHN WILLIAMS

Great score, indeed! but not satisfied with sound quality of this album. I am expecting re-release or complete score of this album with good sound quality.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Agreed Sunil. A complete, remastered release would be fantastic! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    A TALE OF VICTOR NAVORSKI - THE TERMINAL by JOHN WILLIAMS

This is one of my favorite tracks of John Williams. This is really great comedy cue ever written by Maestro. Now, i am listening to this track for third time, i decided to replay this track once again. AWESOME!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009 edited
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

Spectacularly good. "Dark Side of the Moon" must be one of Horner's most beautiful pieces. The going up / coming down set pieces are incredible. And the end title piece is wonderful. Oh yes, this one's great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's Saturday morning, the sun is shining, and that can mean only one thing...

KRULL
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's Saturday morning, it's gray and overcast, and that can only mean one thing...

KRULL

:didgeridoo:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It's Saturday night, coolish yet comfortable. A night bird sings from a distant tree. All is quiet and still.
    And that can only mean two things...

KRULL

Followed by...

KHAAAAAAAAN!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not playing Krull, but I am playing the 15 minute Gerhardt recording of The Sea Hawk which is just as enjoyable. Especially on my new 'cans' (in techno-geek speak). lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aw! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry, I meant... *reads cue card with a gun to the head*...I'm. playing. Krull.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    I'm not playing Krull, but I am playing the 15 minute Gerhardt recording of The Sea Hawk which is just as enjoyable. Especially on my new 'cans' (in techno-geek speak). lick

Hey, I also have one of those. Great, great sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

The HD595s? They're fookin awesome, especially for the price (I even got them at a reduced £87 price). I bought a small headphone amp as well to connect to my laptop (as I won't be able to use the hi-fi I have at home when I got back to uni) and they sound amazing.
  2. A question about the Sennheiser HD595: are they recommended for late night film viewing? I have a DD5.1 decoder for headphones and I can connect two of those. I've been looking for a second high-quality headphone. Would this provide sufficient power for film purposes?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I should say so. As they're an open design, they're far more suited to movie watching than closed headphones since -depending on the amp setting- you can get them to sound very spacious. Powerful mid-range, which is particularly good for acoustic/orchestral music, plus the bass certainly isn't lacking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

The HD595s? They're fookin awesome, especially for the price (I even got them at a reduced £87 price). I bought a small headphone amp as well to connect to my laptop (as I won't be able to use the hi-fi I have at home when I got back to uni) and they sound amazing.

Yes, the HD595s. I bought them about two years ago (150 €) after a long research with a friend. We bought two of them finally, and we are so happy with the purchase. Indeed, the sound is amazing, perfect for music and films / tv shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    I should say so. As they're an open design, they're far more suited to movie watching than closed headphones since -depending on the amp setting- you can get them to sound very spacious. Powerful mid-range, which is particularly good for acoustic/orchestral music, plus the bass certainly isn't lacking.

WORD.
  3. Steven wrote

punk

Awesome. Thx!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not playing KRULL

But I am....

NP : MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - John Barry

Funny really, this sounds nothing like KRULL.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote

This is one of my favorite tracks of John Williams. This is really great comedy cue ever written by Maestro. Now, i am listening to this track for third time, i decided to replay this track once again. AWESOME!

Shouldn't this post be in the Your Favorite John Williams Score thread?!?!?!?!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Actually there should be only one thread: Jordi´s ragbag.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH BEASTS - Benjamin Bartlett

Brilliant! This must be one of my most played CD's!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sunil wrote

Shouldn't this post be in the Your Favorite John Williams Score thread?!?!?!?!

biggrin

NP: Seven Years In Tibet - John Williams
    It's not bad. Not bad at all...but it remind me too much of other Williams scores I like better, specifically Angela's Ashes). So every time I spin this one, i wonder why I dodn'ty simply put on another score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Seven Years In Tibet - John Williams
    It's not bad. Not bad at all...but it remind me too much of other Williams scores I like better, specifically Angela's Ashes). So every time I spin this one, i wonder why I dodn'ty simply put on another score.

Because it has the most magnificent theme! WHAT a fantastic piece. I seldom can pass by that first track and not wanting to play it again.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I 100% agree with Bregt, a magnificent theme but I do find the whole CD a bit of a chore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed. That's why I just added the theme to my Best Of Williams playlist and removed the rest of the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn, did you get around to playing Sarde's Quest For Fire?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE MUSIC OF STAR TREK...PERFORMED BY THE CITY OF PRAGUE PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!