• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009
    Gorgeous score! The film is very good Ravi, check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

I can say this 100% deserved the awards it got. The strings are especially what I really love in here. Wasn't used to the typewriter sounds in the beginning but now accustomed to that because I heard it works excellently in the film (which I've yet to see).

Easily his best work to date; i hope he returns to this marvelous musical style of his soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Couldn't agree more; the movie's perfect, it's got some very strong and emotional moments in it as well as some beautiful cinematography. The marriage of music and visuals is breathtaking at 2 instances of the film, at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Will watch the film ASAP! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009 edited
    Back to the basics then. Back to what made me love scores so much more...
    NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring ~ Howard Shore

I have expressed so many times and in so many ways my adoration and my views on Shore's music for these films that I won't bother you again as to why I chose this for my afternoon hearing. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. Iss an awright ditty.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's lovely; all three of them, exceptional scoring. Shame he didn't quite catch up since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Can't wait for the Hobbit films and scores.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    It's lovely; all three of them, exceptional scoring. Shame he didn't quite catch up since.

Don't forget about 'Soul of the Ultimate Nation', the only videogame he scored. Similar in tone, maybe just a little less epic than LOTR.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's good but it's like Debney's LAIR. Redux.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: A Tale Of God's Will - Terence Blanchard Quintet

Technically a score, since portions of it were written for Spike Lee's HBO documentary, this really is one of my favourite instrumental albums of the last couple of years. There is so much passion and emotion in the performance of all the tracks but my favourite is Ashé - composed by pianist Aaron Parks. Blanchard's trumpet towards the end is goosebump inducing. A gorgeous, heartfelt album all round though - I can't recommend it enough.

cool
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    It's good but it's like Debney's LAIR. Redux.

Strange. I don't think they sound alike at all. Comparing Shore and Debney is like the old apples and oranges thingie. And Shore came first.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You completely misunderstood me.

What Shore did with that game in comparison to his LOTR scores, is like what Debney did with Lair in comparison to the works he's done in the past; plus what John Williams has done in the past too wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Couldn't agree more; the movie's perfect, it's got some very strong and emotional moments in it as well as some beautiful cinematography. The marriage of music and visuals is breathtaking at 2 instances of the film, at least.

The Dunkirk sequence in particular is chilling and an incredibly powerful marriage of film and music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Dunkirk sequence in particular is chilling and an incredibly powerful marriage of film and music.

It's one of the most brilliant cinematic scenes of the last years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: The Song of Bernadette - Alfred Newman

There are so much for me to rediscover now, having spent most of the past year listening mainly to classical music. This classic score with its true late romantic tone colours fits me perfectly this early friday evening. So entirely pleasant. Been so long since I listened to it (sadly).
    - What matters is the music -
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner

Excellent. The track Freight Train should go in my Music For Trains thread. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: Shakespeare in Love - Stephen Warbeck

Lovely with some old-school romantic scoring. Sweeping and soaring. I had forgotten how much I like this kind of music - I guess sometimes we like sheep have gone astray... smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Manwe wrote
    NP: Shakespeare in Love - Stephen Warbeck

Lovely with some old-school romantic scoring. Sweeping and soaring. I had forgotten how much I like this kind of music - I guess sometimes we like sheep have gone astray... smile

Very nice score indeed! One of those older and more "traditional" ways of scoring which has been almost extinct in our days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN SEAL - John Barry & Dana Kaproff

An excellent score that I doubt very few here have heard!?

Amongst many good cues this score is worth the purchase for the track The Frolic akone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote

True. But if you want another quality choral experience from Shore, get Looking for Richard. It's superb, yet with a very different, medieval feel. Probably one of his best works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looking For Richard is a 5 star score IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

True. But if you want another quality choral experience from Shore, get Looking for Richard. It's superb, yet with a very different, medieval feel. Probably one of his best works.

Thanks, i'll check it out!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Did I not send you Looking For Richard back in the days of CDR's?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of my most played scores. Silva did a brilliant job of rerecording this. A special score to a special film.
  3. Timmer wrote

Agree with you here, Tim.

There's not a single wasted moment on that CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIVE - James Newton Howard

A fabulous score but missing some great cues from the film, this one could really benefit from a deluxe edition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ALIVE - James Newton Howard

A fabulous score but missing some great cues from the film, this one could really benefit from a deluxe edition.

I'm a big fan of this one too. There is a bootleg album but I hear it's spoiled by SFX.

NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely! In its own terms, it's even on a par with Lord of the Rings.

Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks, i'll check it out!

Let me know what you think! And that cannot be below, erm, 5 stars!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    :shrug: wink