• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    As to my own personal favourite: I really like Zimmer's piratey stuff.
    I'm going to hell, aren't I?
    shame

I'm coming along then. tongue

NP: PoTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer and co.

punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

1. It's by far his best "standard" score (ie the best of the ones where he's doing what he knows how to do with his eyes closed) but The Thin Red Line took him so far out of his comfort zone and yet he still nailed it perfectly. There aren't many films with Zimmer scores where I feel the film is anything but weaker for his presence, but those two are actually stronger because of it. But TTRL is such a good film, and the score plays such a key role, I say it's his best by miles.

Agreed 100% on "The Thin Red Line", by far my favourite Zimmer score, I never tire of hearing it. I think the entire disc is terrific, but the first 4 tracks are just sublime. The film is also one of my favourites, just as mesmerizing as the score. Was lucky enough to go the Solomons for work last year, it was a very special trip for me almost entirely due to my love of this film and score and I had this album playing on constant rotation while I was out there.

NP: "Sneakers" James Horner
  2. Sorry boys, but it's got to be said. "Pretentious" is not getting a film and assuming that makes the film dumb and you the clever one. wink

Thankyou, I'll be here all week.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. The Thin Red Line is a very misunderstood movie, that's true.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Like Idi Amin was a very misunderstood human being.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

He was understood very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sorry boys, but it's got to be said. "Pretentious" is not getting a film and assuming that makes the film dumb and you the clever one. wink

Thankyou, I'll be here all week.

You have been relatively unprolific in your posting recently, so I'm pleased to see that it was because you were saving yourself for this special one.
  4. I have been too unprolific of late. I must assure you that it has been a holiday, and not timidity, that has kept me from this place. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thin Red Line? vomit
    Backdraft? punk

As to my own personal favourite: I really like Zimmer's piratey stuff.
    I'm going to hell, aren't I?
    shame

You're already there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. About the whole The Thin Red Line vs. Backdraft debate : TTRL is good, very good, but Backdraft is better. But you can't compare the two scores. One was written for a anti-war film, the other for a heroic firefighter movie. They couldn't be more different from each other. But Backdraft wins, if I count in the emotional feedback I get from the score. I'm just a sucker for epic heroic scores.

Memoirs of a Geisha (John Williams)

Proof that maestro Williams can tackle any genre or country-related music style. He so successfully combined his own with the Japanese style. I must have to say though, after 'The Chairman's Waltz' the album drags a little, but it ends beautifully. Gorgeous performances and superb themes all around. There's much to love here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote

no.

What? no? I will not leave you alone with them. You do not know me, man! even though, if you say no, i will not step back. Count me on this! i am here, you should fear of me. You will not have all fun with them without me. I am coming.... Hahahaha... biggrin

"I am coming...."

And that, Sun-il Jim is why you fail.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Yes...that was sort of the point, yes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    About the whole The Thin Red Line vs. Backdraft debate : TTRL is good, very good, but Backdraft is better. But you can't compare the two scores.

I love the progression from your first sentence to your second!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Sun-il Jim

:pawel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Yes...that was sort of the point, yes.

I wish you'd just make yourself clear in the first place. All these cryptic statements leave us all not knowing what to believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote

Proof that maestro Williams can tackle any genre or country-related music style. He so successfully combined his own with the Japanese style. I must have to say though, after 'The Chairman's Waltz' the album drags a little, but it ends beautifully. Gorgeous performances and superb themes all around. There's much to love here.

You are absolutely right. This score is true masterpiece by Maestro.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  6. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    About the whole The Thin Red Line vs. Backdraft debate : TTRL is good, very good, but Backdraft is better. But you can't compare the two scores.

I love the progression from your first sentence to your second!

As do I!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    HOUSES OF HEALING - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING (COMPLETE RECORDINGS)

This is one of my favorite track from LOTR. It has very soft choir, solo voice(Liv Tyler) and very melodious too.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sunil wrote
    HOUSES OF HEALING - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING (COMPLETE RECORDINGS)

This is one of my favorite track from LOTR. It has very soft choir, solo voice(Liv Tyler) and very melodious too.

Yeap! I'm doing a cd for my travel to scotland, and this is one of the tracks i put in the cd (in the "relax music", theres another "wake up msic" with a lot from An Everlasting piece, Far and Awar and Waterhorse).

There are 2 kind of music in LOTR trilogy :

1-the boring wagnerian underscore, the noisy and annoying action stuff.
    2-then the memorable themes and the new age and gorgeous chorus composition.

One day i have to make my own compilation of the second type , Because I always remember the first type and I never listen these scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Previously played JAMES HEWNTON HOWARD - the happening

A brilliant modern score in all aspects, perhaps a lighter and darker on SIGNS / THE VILLAGE which also contains one of the most emotional compositions by the composer, "BE WITH YOU".

... and helps make the film even MORE hokey!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    The Return of the King (Howard Shore)

Especially edited 2-disc version done by Thomas for ultimate listening experience.

This sums it all up brilliantly, unlike the official release where some spectacular music's missing.

I should be a soundtrack producer punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: PoTC: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer and co.

Fair album length but the presentation is rather poor, including some more humdrum cues while some good fun action material is left out. The crappy techno remix was unnecessary and could easily have been replaced by some more score. But nevertheless I enjoy this album a lot. The Kraken is a real guilty pleasure, and cues like Dinner Is Served, Jack Sparrow and Wheel Of Fortune are great.
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Especially edited 2-disc version done by Thomas for ultimate listening experience.

This sums it all up brilliantly, unlike the official release where some spectacular music's missing.

FUCK YEAH DUDE!

Infinitely better than the 1-CD release.
    More focused than the 4-CD release.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

FUCK YEAH DUDE!

Infinitely better than the 1-CD release.
    More focused than the 4-CD release.

What's the tracklisting of this 2 discs versions of RofK?
  9. msi2 wrote
    What's the tracklisting of this 2 discs versions of RofK?

note that tracks have been mixed together to produce longer tracks

CD 1
    1. Roots and Beginnings (6.31)
    2. The Road to Isengard (3.38)
    3. The Palantir (3.10)
    4. Flight from Edoras / Minas Tirith (8.34)
    5. An Army Advances (6.15)
    6. The Lighting of the Beacons (9.00)
    7. Osgiliath Invaded (8.45)
    8. The Sacrifice of Faramir (5.13)
    9. Andúril / Flame of the West (3.25)
    10. The Siege of Gondor (11.51)

CD 2
    1. Shelob’s Lair (14.04)
    2. The Battle of the Pelenor Fields / The Pyre of Denethor (7.04)
    3. Shieldmaiden of Rohan (5.05)
    4 The Passing of Théoden (4.50)
    5. Mouth of Sauron / For Frodo (11.26)
    6. The Crack of Doom (10.26)
    7. The Fellowship Reunited (12.18)
    8. Days of the Ring (11.05)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Sunil wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

You are absolutely right. This score is true masterpiece by Maestro.

I love this score and how it works in the film. I also enjoyed the film, but it seemed to get bad reviews...
  10. J.N.H.'s "The Package", and Silvestri's "Eraser" are two scores I did not like, but at the same time there were little bits in them that I felt were too nice to simply pass up, so with both -- as I pointed out on the board before -- I edited out the bits and re-arranged them best I could into suites.

The results:
    "The Package":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840gLXw59oo

"Eraser":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmGF6u6P9o4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsNgfusiXc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGB04Onffk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHYbeIXAi8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJomeoworY

Yesterday I finished chooosing which parts of Goldsmith's "Legend" to cut out and re-arrange, so that'll be in the works soon. For now I am off to disc 2 of Horner's "Krull" (and finding very little to rip out).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    For now I am off to disc 2 of Horner's "Krull" (and finding very little to rip out).

Not surprised - every moment is full of such magnificence, it would be impossible to rip anything out.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY KRULL

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY HORNER
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

Brilliant.

cool
  11. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    For now I am off to disc 2 of Horner's "Krull" (and finding very little to rip out).

Not surprised - every moment is full of such magnificence, it would be impossible to rip anything out.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY KRULL

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY HORNER

Very little to rip out of the score for suites. It's just that overrated and overblown
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.