• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    New thread time!

NP: "T-Rex-Rescue & Finale AND Visitor in San Diego"
    Jurassic Park and The Lost World - John Williams

punk

Southall if you please... wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

Big, ballsy music! Another Poledouris winner!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    XXI part 2?confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    XXI part 2?confused

HERE'S PART I

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Schindler's List - John Williams

Really brings tears to the eyes with these lovely themes. The emotional power of JW's scores like this is remarkable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    XXI part 2?confused

HERE'S PART I

shocked

That's WEIRD!!!
    And nobody noticed that somehow people started posting in an ancient thread again? (I surely didn't)

Well, a brilliant case for closing threads once they're abandoned. slant
    Thread 21, Part deux it is then.

NP: Un Homme Et Son Chien - Philippe Rombi
    Nice and dramatic,a s Rombi tends to do.
    He goes for the sweeping strings more than any other composer these days.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Pretty good score, though I hate how the main Jurassic Park theme was held at bay till the last track. And it's a bit too quick even then, I think. slant

I like the fact that the theme is saved until the last track. If I want to hear the theme played throughout the score, I'll listen to the first one. For one thing it's worth savoring for the end, but as Erik said, The Lost World is a different story set on a different island. (It's pretty much King Kong.) Williams came up with a great theme for The Lost World which was as perfect for the second film as the first theme was for the first film.

Seems odd that you "hate" it being at the end, because that's where it belongs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In fact there was apparently a thread no. 22 already as well! What a mess! slant
    Just for neatness' sake I'm locking down all non-playing threads but the current one (if they haven't been already).

EDIT: AND 23! shocked
    OK, everything is locked but this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the mess up began a long time ago when Bregt labeled THIS THREAD Now Playing XIV when it should have been XXIV.

fucking Romans

-Erik-

EDIT - Ok, I changed the subject heading to Now Playing XXXI which should clear things up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think the mess up began a long time ago when Bregt labeled THIS THREAD Now Playing XIV when it should have been XXIV.

fucking Romans

-Erik-

EDIT - Ok, I changed the subject heading to Now Playing XXXI which should clear things up.

So where are thread XXIV through XXIX? spin
    (It SHOULD be XXIV, 24, really... wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not that I mind either way, but why do we need a new thread in the first place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

fucking Romans

-Erik-

So where are thread XXIV through XXIX? spin
    (It SHOULD be XXIV, 24, really... wink )

They're there just labeled in correctly.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Who knows... but I ever since the opening of this board we have opened a new Now Playing thread once the old one hits 100 pages.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fair enough. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    They're there just labeled in correctly.

It's all good, mate. smile
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Who knows... but I ever since the opening of this board we have opened a new Now Playing thread once the old one hits 100 pages.

There's no functional use, as with the powerful Search function anything can easily be found.
    However I do agree with a 100-page maximum, as there are some searches you still need to do by hand: for example I was looking for a certain cut-off point in a thread by date. That's a nightmare to do with multi-hundred pages!
    So if only for that reason the 100-page cut-off works for me (I'm sure i could come up with more reasons if pressed, but obviously they're hardly capital).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Three Choral Suites - Miklos Rozsa
    Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

The orchestra sounds a bit flat compared to older Telarc/Kunzel re-recordings but this ambitious project brings Rozsa's three classic choral scores into one and it is nothing short of stunning!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Home Alone 2: Lost In New York John Williams

Almost finished my first listen. I think my initial reaction is shock! I'm surprised how much better this plays than the first score, and I'm also surprised to hear some quite frenetic action cues.

This is great!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Three Choral Suites - Miklos Rozsa
    Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

The orchestra sounds a bit flat compared to older Telarc/Kunzel re-recordings but this ambitious project brings Rozsa's three classic choral scores into one and it is nothing short of stunning!

-Erik-

this is indeed an amazing album, the first one I ever bought of Miklos Rozsa music, though of course I knew his music (a bit shame )

the greatest way to enter a composer's voice smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Far And Away - John Williams

One of my favourite 90s Williams scores. Gorgeous stuff,

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Almost finished my first listen. I think my initial reaction is shock! I'm surprised how much better this plays than the first score, and I'm also surprised to hear some quite frenetic action cues.

This is great!

Like any great sequel score the composer takes the best of the first score and expands on it while composing fresh new material that's equally as memorable. The Home Alone 2 Deluxe Edition was a real WHAT THE F__K? moment for me when I first saw it announced at Varese but after spinning it for the first time I realized why this one was indeed expanded. What a fabulous and highly entertaining score from start to finish! I think this is one of Varese most underrated Club releases. Few have explored its greatness.

And let not forget the mastering job. While the original album sounded good Michael Matessino, John Davis and Dan Hersch opened up Shawn Murphy's recording and breathed new life into it. It's so detailed, bright and punchy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Like any great sequel score the composer takes the best of the first score and expands on it while composing fresh new material that's equally as memorable.
    -Erik-

Yeah, tell it to Jablonsky.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Like any great sequel score the composer takes the best of the first score and expands on it while composing fresh new material that's equally as memorable.
    -Erik-

Yeah, I can see how that would go down: "Not listening, not listening!"
  2. NP: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 2 -- Bear McCreary

Finished the season a couple of weeks ago, now going to the score for the first time and it begins with the main Battlestar Galactica theme, YES punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

Yeah, I can see how that would go down: "Not listening, not listening!"

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

This is great!

Like any great sequel score the composer takes the best of the first score and expands on it while composing fresh new material that's equally as memorable. The Home Alone 2 Deluxe Edition was a real WHAT THE F__K? moment for me when I first saw it announced at Varese but after spinning it for the first time I realized why this one was indeed expanded. What a fabulous and highly entertaining score from start to finish! I think this is one of Varese most underrated Club releases. Few have explored its greatness.

And let not forget the mastering job. While the original album sounded good Michael Matessino, John Davis and Dan Hersch opened up Shawn Murphy's recording and breathed new life into it. It's so detailed, bright and punchy!

-Erik-

I quite like the liner notes by Matessino too. Very 'in tune' with film score fans.

I too have had a bit of a WHAT THE FUCK? moment with this one! (Never seen the film or heard the sequel score in any form, so I had no preconceived notions other than it's a Williams sequel score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lost World John Williams

Load of garbage. Absolute pile of dino poo... the main theme is only played at the end! Lazy! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines - Marco Beltrami

Wow. This is a lot better than I remember it to be - although is has been about 3/4 years since my last listen.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Un Homme Et Son Chien - Philippe Rombi
    Nice and dramatic,a s Rombi tends to do.
    He goes for the sweeping strings more than any other composer these days.

One of the few, if not the only, composers today who still carries Delerue's and Barry's qualities.

LSH wrote
    NP: Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines - Marco Beltrami

Wow. This is a lot better than I remember it to be - although is has been about 3/4 years since my last listen.

cool

How would you compare it with Elfman's? Just curious (i've heard both of course, numerous times wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I messed up with thread titles?

Phew! I can't ban myself. Lucky there.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can Martijn or me do it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.