• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009
    Cool smile

The opening of the New Acropolis Musem, today.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009
    Now take back those statues from the UK!

They are yours and should stand there! smile
    Kazoo
  1. What an unbelievable ugly building...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Now take back those statues from the UK!

They are yours and should stand there! smile

You mean the Elgin Marbles ( The Parthenon Marbles ).

A lot of British people believe they should be returned to Greece, myself included.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If and when countries like Greece or Egypt can show and prove they have both the dedication and inclination (likely), the expertise (less probable), the long-time manpower (unlikely) and the budget (highly improbable) to care for historic treasure I'm all for returning them to their places of origin.

Until that's the case, I say live with the past -and that includes historical French and English imperialist tendencies-, and leave those irreplacable treasures where they are best catered for.

Wherever they happened to come from is a geographical fluke.
    What they belong to, is history. And history is uninterested in any local disputes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you not think it's theft Martijn?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited
    No. Why?
    It's not like Greece or Egypt were archaelogically, monetarily, politically or technically able to care for historic treasure back in 1800...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of course if the rightful owner, i.e. the actual artisan or the person actually having ordered the assignment would make a claim, it'd be a different matter, legally. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You certainly make food for thought. I'd be very interested to hear D and Stavi's views on this??
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    All this on a Sunday Martijn. You are mad!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    First of all with all due respect to my British friends there is not such a thing as the Elgin Marbles. Since Lord Elgin acted as a thief we are talking about the Stolen Parthenon Marbles. Martijn I would have to disagree with you. There is no way you can persuade me that the Marbles were taken from Greece because Elgin was concerned abou the inability of Greek people to care about them due to certain circumstance. As if! That's why he grabed what ever he could! And what about the rest of the momument? Didn't it survive? Monuments are universal. They belong to humanity not only countries. But I think it only proper that these specific Marbles are returned where they belong. We are more than capable to care for them and we have proven that.

And Stefan, perhaps if you came and visited the museum, you would find out that what counts is the inside and not the building. Then we can talk about it again if you like.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    If and when countries like Greece or Egypt can show and prove they have both the dedication and inclination (likely), the expertise (less probable), the long-time manpower (unlikely) and the budget (highly improbable) to care for historic treasure I'm all for returning them to their places of origin.

Until that's the case, I say live with the past -and that includes historical French and English imperialist tendencies-, and leave those irreplacable treasures where they are best catered for.

Wherever they happened to come from is a geographical fluke.
    What they belong to, is history. And history is uninterested in any local disputes.

Your not serious, right? Everything that belongs to a country, SHOULD find its place into that country, sooner or later; anything else is stealing of something that doesn't belong to you. As for any possible INABILITIES of Greece to take care of its OWN treasures, i challenge you to visit the corresponding installations in our country and esp. Athens, Acropolis and then express such an opinion.

As for the rest, i agree with Stavi. Good points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    No. Why?
    It's not like Greece or Egypt were archaelogically, monetarily, politically or technically able to care for historic treasure back in 1800...

By this logic, every archeological treasure we have had in Greece long before the date you mention, should be destroyed and gone by now; bollocks my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, D., I would ask you though what state they are in, and exactly when efforts started to come into place to actually preserve the Greek heritage? "Destruction" is not the issue (though erosion and pollution have taken more than their fair share!). Preservation is!

Nationalist sentiments are of no interest to me whatsoever (though I understand them coming into place). Nor are initial intentions (of COURSE Bruce didn't act out of some sort of overpowering altruistic motives, and he was in fact wildely criticized back in the day for his actions!). I'm simply interested in the BEST way FORWARD.

Being neither British nor Greeks affords me an outsider view, and I completely agree with Stavroula: these treasures belong to man, not a nation.

As such, it would be fitting to have them on display in their historic setting, but -in my opinion- by no means mandatory.
    And if, as Stavroula states, Greece is capable to take care of its national treasures (the current art and historic budget within Greece's failing economy for the last three decades or so doesn't fill me with confidence, by the way), then by ALL means they should be returned.

Christodoulides wrote
    Your not serious, right? Everything that belongs to a country, SHOULD find its place into that country

How does a country own anything?
    It's the people on it and, by extension, its government that makes the rulings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Incidentally, it looks like a brilliant museum (I like the outside too!), and one I'd be fascinated to visit one day! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And today's Astronomy Picture of the day connects this topic's subject with the start of the northern Summer :

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Especially those cranes and scaffoldings add greatly to the overall romantic feel... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Breathtaking!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    Breathtaking!!!

Surely the pollution isn't that bad anymore? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Especially those cranes and scaffoldings add greatly to the overall romantic feel... slant

They are restoring and preserving it. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are you sure? I think those are British cranes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

BACK OFF!!! kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

BACK OFF!!! kill

Good heavens, Lord Wyatt of Weeford was quite right about those volatile Greeks.

Greece really should become a British protectorate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Bring it on babe!!! We know how to fight back! We are volatile and we sure like it!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    We are volatile and we sure like it!!!!

Y-e-e-e-e-s-s-s-s.
    the rest of the world is less keen. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    Let's take the Pyramids as well, move them onto Britain or somewhere even better, let's say the US, 'cause those, with their glorious state of economies and internal politics of late, are surely in a better place to preserve them than the low-life Egyptian terrsts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, as the Egyptians did a marvellous job preserving their heritage for the last 4000 years...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (You rather spectacularly manage to miss the entire point, my dear friend) smile