• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    GRAEME REVELL

OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

http://www.graemerevell.com/

A love it or hate it situation for most with Revell's music, he's the composer of the highly acclaimed "The Crow", the surprisingly melodic "The Saint" with its infectious main theme, "The Negotiator" and "The Siege" as well as "Daredevil" but most importantly the vastly ethereal and fragile work for "Red Planet", his best score to date along with the dark beast that is "The Chronicles or Riddick" and the Middle-eastern feast of "Eaters of the dead" (13th warrior rejected). Most recognized trait of his music are the distinct compound metres as well as the vivid ethnic / word music influences in his film scores.

NEW RELEASE: DARFUR NOW

ARTWORK / TRACKLISTING / INFO

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8272
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I need to listen more of him to make an opinion about him. What is his best score?
  1. Still haven't heard Red Planet The Saint and The Crow, but I was rather impressed with Eaters of the Dead. Most of his scores I really hate, except Negotiator and Riddick.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE RED PLANET
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
    EATERS OF THE DEAD
    THE SAINT

In this order, imo.
  2. I also liked Out of Time which I totally forgot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    THE CROW / THE CROW - CITY OF ANGELS
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
    THE SAINT
    CALL OF DUTY 2
    TITAN A.E.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. First off, Revell is the composer that made me become a film music fan, yep it was him and not Herrmann, Rozsa, Goldsmith or even Williams but Graeme Revell and it was his score to the Nicole Kidman film Dead Calm and I can`t believe that this score is still unreleased.

I must say that there are lots of soundtracks with just one or a couple of scorecues by him and several of those scoreselections are just really good. So I always battle with the "is it wort to buy a whole soundtrack with just a couple of minutes of score and the rest is worthless songs".

Some of the soundtracks with his few minutes of contribution is: From Dusk till Dawn, Idle Hands, The Big Hit, Bride of Chucky, The Insider and S.F.W. But there are a few that have little more score than those I already mentioned such as Open Water, Until the End of the World and Basketball Diaries
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, DEAD CALM is amazing and the first score that opened my eyes to Revell, too! Love those "panting" effects.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dead Calm? Wow, i've never heard that one! How you you describe it? Any other's composer score that could be related to, or perhaps to one of his own works? wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007 edited
    Actually, it's very, very unique. I can't think of any other score - neither by him nor anyone else - that sounds quite like it. It has a lot of breathing effects that work as an adrenaline pulse in the suspense sequences aboard the boat (btw, this is one of the few films where Billy Zane is perfectly cast). That's what stood out to me, anyway - and some experimental electronic soundscapes that sounded a bit like his early indudstrial work with SPK. It deserves to be released!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLéon
    Red Planet was amazing... It really lifted the movie from a mainstream-scifimovie to an ethereal movie with - well - almost operatic moments... Great score! Emma Shaplin should be used more in scores! And Sting, but only if it is with A Thousand Years :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. Like you Léon! wave
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    A lot of people hate Revell's music. I can understand why. But for me... he's a guilty pleasure. I really enjoy most of his music. Titan AE, Pitch Black, Riddick, Under Siege, No Escape, The Crow, The Saint, Red Planet and Eaters of the Dead are all very enjoyable score imho.

Though he's done some baddies as well. Tomb Raider was put together so badly, I was pissin' myself with laughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    New horror film scored by Graeme Revell:

THE RUINS

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … ruins.html

mc
  4. Revell is scoring "Unthinkable" (taking over from Christopher Young).

I hold no hope for a good score onsidering his track record the passed few years, but we'll see.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Is The Crow - City of Angels worth getting?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    I think so - it's darkly percussive and much more coherent than the first part. However, you need to like this sort of thing, since it's more monotonus in nature. The opening (City of Angels) is sensational, by the way.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    What about Body of Evidence?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. Someone has pointed out Vin said on his Facebook the next Riddick film will start filming soon. I for one look forward to it. The first film was surprisingly good, the second was okay enough (not bad, but certainly not a science fiction master work), and Revell's scores for both films are favorites among the works I have heard by him. The second, "The Chronicles of Riddick", is more orchestral and big sounding (and it also brought back Riddick's theme, too).

If Revell is working on some dumbshit remake of some film from the '80's at that time, he should DUMP it and do this.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel? I did not realize there was a Riddick film preceding that. Did it have good ol' Vin Deisel as well? I've caught snatches of Chronicles on TV, but it's never really kept my attention.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010 edited
    christopher wrote
    Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel? I did not realize there was a Riddick film preceding that. Did it have good ol' Vin Deisel as well? I've caught snatches of Chronicles on TV, but it's never really kept my attention.

It's a prequal to Pitch Black which also starred Vin Deisel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. No, it takes place after PB.
  8. Is Twohy back as director?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    Chronicles of Riddick has a great score btw; very dark and stylish, i like it although it's been ages since i last played it!
  9. justin boggan wrote
    No, it takes place after PB.

indeed, it's a sequel, because the little girl in Pitch Black is all grown up in The Chronicles of Riddick

Still, I hope to see director and actor returning in this one, they made the first 2 films better
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen either film in a very long time but [spoiler]in Pitch Black, Riddick dies[/spoiler]....have I missed something? How is Chronicles a sequel and not a prequel?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, no!
    He doesn't [spoiler]die! In fact, he is saved by Fry, but when the bounty hunters ask him where Riddick is, Riddick himself answers that "he died somewhere on the planet" (thereby presumably throwing them off his scent, and suggesting the start of a new life).[/spoiler]
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cheers for clearing that up Martijn, I just didn't remember that.
  10. Yeah, how could one confuse it? The very last scene in the movie is Riddick flying the skipper off the planet and into space. Kind of impressive for a DEAD GUY, no?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oooo, get you cat