• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited
    Any wine or cigar connoisseurs here?
    Discuss your preferences for wine, cigars, beer, cocktail drinks, and other forms of alcohol.
    It could be interesting to see differences in taste due to age and nationality.

beer wine drink cuba cool champagne
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    Anyone cigar smokers here with advice on a brand or type of cigar to start out with?

I'm a complete novice knowing nothing of the subject.
    I'm not looking to make it a habit or anything.
    More just a one time of year kind of thing.

I just recently bough a Romeo Y Julieta Churchill En Tubo (Made in the Dominican Republic).
    Looking for an occasion to smoke it.
    Any thoughts?
    Advice?
    Maybe it is very poor choice :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Red dry wine, my favorite. I also like Gordon's Gin with tuborg tonic in the summertime, as well as Martini Biano with lemon (or lime) and lots of ice. I also love OUZO in the summertime too, and in the winters, Jose Cuervo black on the rocks. I don't drink anything else usually.

[edit] this topic moved to "off topic" section of the site
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    Red dry wine, my favorite. I also like Gordon's Gin with tuborg tonic in the summertime, as well as Martini Biano with lemon (or lime) and lots of ice. I also love OUZO in the summertime too, and in the winters, Jose Cuervo black on the rocks. I don't drink anything else usually.

[edit] this topic moved to "off topic" section of the site

Thanks for that mate wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the 2nd leg of the title, thankfully i don't smoke smile
  1. I smoke cigarettes, not cigars, I don;t even know how lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You just put your lips together and suck.

I don't smoke (filthy habit. No offense. But honestly. Why would you want to smell like Humphrey Bogart?
    The man's been dead for 40 years!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ What he said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't see the point in cigar smoking, even for a yearly thing. It doesn't actually do anything except make you unhealthy? (At least alcohol has an enjoyable effect on you.)

As far as smoking regularly goes -which I know is not what Omaha is driving at here- I can't say the idea for paying for an unhealthy and smelly addiction is one that particularly appeals to me. But you know, each to their own...

Alcohol on the other hand is something I've been known to dabble in from time to time....

drink

silly
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with you; but you know what you attributed to smoking and how you characterized it, can easily be said for alcohol in exactly the same way wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Except -and we've had this discussion before- smoking has a direct and immediate impact on its surroundings.

Alcohol may have that as well, but indirectly (as a consequence of the act of drinking (too much)).

Moreover: alcohol -taken in moderation- poses no health risk. In fact, in many ways it is beneficial (e.g. the well documented health benefit of red wine on the health of veins and blood). Smoking has NO such benefits.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I agree with you; but you know what you attributed to smoking and how you characterized it, can easily be said for alcohol in exactly the same way wink

Not really. Alcohol has an immediate positive effect on you, at least in the way that it makes you feel. (Smoking I'm sure does too, but you also have to be addicted to it to feel its 'positive' effects. Alcohol, you don't.) It's also not as addictive as nicotine and not as unhealthy. Of course, all this is said if you assume that it is taken in moderation. Alcohol is of course not healthy when taken to the extreme, and causes a LOT of problems in general, but it's clearly a lot better and more fun to have the odd drink now and again than to be addicted to smoking. (Alcohol also doesn't leave a horrible lingering smell and tastes nice in many of its various forms -depending on how much you've had of course. wink)

Having said that, I've cut back on alcohol a lot these days. Not necessarily to do with health consciousness, more to do with saving money and generally having more fun without having to get completely fuck-faced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I neither smoke or drink. They are both addicting drugs. In fact, I'm sorry I drink coffee and have a coke from time to time.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I drink coffee and have a coke from time to time.

shocked

QUICK!
    Delete your post! Lower your blinds! Lock you backdoor!

Hark! Are those sirens I hear in the distance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I neither smoke or drink. They are both addicting drugs.

True to a degree, but I think nicotine is addictive to anyone who starts to smoke regularly whereas when it comes to alcohol not everyone becomes addicted... I think it's sometimes a genetic thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I drink coffee and have a coke from time to time.

shocked

QUICK!
    Delete your post! Lower your blinds! Lock you backdoor!

Hark! Are those sirens I hear in the distance?

bounce
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Believe me Steven I'm not judging anyone. It is just something that I choose to do.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And drinking doesn't give someone else the chance of having cancer, bad fertility, clothes that smell like poop with lots of smoke, coughs, teary eyes, shit, puke and invisibility.

But I have no problem with it when it's done politely, as in, not too close to me, outside.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Invisibility?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes. Rare, but it happens, especially when it's a heavy smoker.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Al the comments are kind of deterring me from having that cigar. I may choose not to.

Drinking is something I've never done. I believe genetics plays a great role in who becomes addicted to it. There are many alcoholics in my family, so I decided just not to touch it. I have no real want to drink, so why partake of it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    omaha wrote
    Al the comments are kind of deterring me from having that cigar. I may choose not to.

punk Excellent!

I believe genetics plays a great role in who becomes addicted to it. There are many alcoholics in my family, so I decided just not to touch it.

It's a HUGE factor.
    Good for you, Omaha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice topic!

As I'm sure everyone knows here, I like to have a beer or two. smile

It's something that comes naturally to someone in my life situation - single, 31 years old, urban, social guy. So I enjoy alchohol to varying degree almost every weekend - whether it's just some relaxing "Friday beers" or full-blown partying. I'm WELL aware of the health issues involved, but it's really something that gives meaning to my life (not necessarily the consumption in itself, but the social setting that surrounds it). And I don't cave in to the looming, finger-pointing "advice" of socalled health authorities. Not on this.

As far as tobacco is concerned, I don't smoke (although I've had a ciggie or two at parties just for the heck of it...although it's mostly "huff and puff" smoking, I don't inhale). However, I HAVE become addicted to a particular type of tobacco called SNUS, a special kind of nicotine "bag" that one puts under one's upper lip. This is almost an exclusive feature of Norway and Sweden, by the way. I've used this on and off for 5-6 years.

I've never tried other drugs, except the occasional joint and XTC ONCE, when I was part of the rave scene in the 90's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    However, I HAVE become addicted to a particular type of tobacco called SNUS, a special kind of nicotine "bag" that one puts under one's upper lip. This is almost an exclusive feature of Norway and Sweden, by the way. I've used this on and off for 5-6 years.

....:perplexed:

You do what with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    However, I HAVE become addicted to a particular type of tobacco called SNUS, a special kind of nicotine "bag" that one puts under one's upper lip. This is almost an exclusive feature of Norway and Sweden, by the way. I've used this on and off for 5-6 years.

....:perplexed:

You do what with it?

Aaah! I remember. When we were in Bergen in he student café, someone showed us. Very odd! My smoker friend tried it and said it didn't taste well, and definitely not like cigarettes.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh my WORD!

It's snuff!
    You really, officially use SNUFF again? And it's HIP???
    That's BRILLIANT!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm getting images of spit buckets and horse dung.
    And Marty McFly because I'm a geek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Oh my WORD!

It's snuff!
    You really, officially use SNUFF again? And it's HIP???
    That's BRILLIANT!!!

I've partaken in snuff a couple of times. Fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Oh... and I was very, very drunk at the time.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, now I'm worried.

Partaken OF or partaken IN?