• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... and I concluded that it's our own condition of being matter that causes materialism of course. If we were all floating souls then we could be happy without money. Would we exchange love for wisdom or something? Hehe, sorry for the hypothetical experiment of thoughts.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... and I concluded that it's our own condition of being matter that causes materialism of course. If we were all floating souls then we could be happy without money. Would we exchange love for wisdom or something? Hehe, sorry for the hypothetical experiment of thoughts.
    wink

smile

It's a nice train of thought!
    I wonder if love could ever take the place of wisdom? ('Wisdom' in the true classic sense, where experience, insight and enlightenment combine to leverage one's complete view).

I've always fantasized that, rather in Buddhist fashion, once we are developed in a way that we are/can be detached from earthly considerations (indeed a bit like floating souls), the wisdom we've gained will also drastically change our experience of loce, as this would become a more all-encompassing love ("for all that lives" or "for pursuit of understanding" or something lofty like that). Much in fact like true Buddhist enlightenment which is -in many ways- extremely egocentric with no regard for surrounding or "mere" human concerns.

It's just another thought experiment though. smile
    We might end up quite differently, obviously.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    Of course I can attest to the health issue very easily with the stroke which eliminates most walking, sex, loss of strength, brain functioning, and now a possible loss of my foot. And none of that has to do with getting old!!! The getting old part is the prostrate, congestive heart disease, and dental issues!

If I had to do it all over again I would certainly approach the money in my life differently. In some ways I'm much happier now with little money as opposed to having a lot. At the very least I would have spent my money differently. I spent too much on myself and not enough on others.

Over the years I've pretty much failed in relationships (the current one being very superficial and who knows). The problem I readily admit as to being me as so much had to center around me. Too many times it was what did I get out of it instead of looking at the otherside.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, it is important. Fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    I don't give a friggin flying fish for excessive, unnecessary luxury and crap like that; I have NORMAL NEEDS in minds, which to my case would concentrate down to the following:

(in no particular order)

1) moneys to pay the bills and the rent, ON TIME.
    2) moneys for food, any kind of normal food, vegetables, fruits, etc, ANY TIME.
    3) moneys for a decent, good looking car, nothing fancy, just functional. My 2002 seat ibiza 3d 1.4cc 101bhp is just fine for my needs, to set an example. And moneys to maintain it in perfect condition, WHENEVER NEEDED.
    4) moneys for health and insurance.
    5) moneys for a functional home, nothing too big, nothing fancy. I don't mind if on rent, see no.1
    6) moneys for ways to help satisfy my hobby needs, such as a decent audio and visual system. A good one, not top of course. Which links to my job, as a sound engineer, so
    7) moneys, enough of them, to have the necessary equipment available in order to do my job PROPERLY, and in QUALITY 24/24 and deliver to the customer quality service as promised.
    8) moneys to offer my share into my loved ones; (And later, family) their corresponding needs.
    9) moneys to relax and go on holidays with my loved ones, whenever possible, according to the "extra" i have in that field
    10) moneys to help expand my professional and also personal knowledge on topics that interest me, ALWAYS.

I don't think that's materialism; otherwise, excuse me but i don't agree with anything below that, tree-hanging hippie crap and such wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Of course I can attest to the health issue very easily with the stroke which eliminates most walking, sex, loss of strength, brain functioning, and now a possible loss of my foot. And none of that has to do with getting old!!! The getting old part is the prostrate, congestive heart disease, and dental issues

Be that as it may (which from the many times you've reminded is of course an understandably horrible thing to experience, I'm sure), I will always remember my late Grandad's attitude to old age. He never complained about getting old, he never complained about much at all to be honest (except other old people). He had had two heart attacks within 10 years prior to his death, his wife (my Grandmother) had died during that time too, yet he never changed his attitude to anything. He remained the same person I knew as a child; a positive, happy person. For sure, he had health problems, but he overcame them partly due to an apparently positive attitude... he also kept on riding his motorbike until his last days!

I'm not comparing his health problems to yours of course, circumstances are of course different for everyone, I'm just giving an example of a philosophy I happen to agree with: you're as old (or young) as you feel. If ever I reach the same age as my Grandad reached (76), and only become half as positive as he was, then I will have succeeded with that philosophy.

By the way, the inscription on his grave reads: "No watch, no time, no worries." cool (I too never wear a watch... but mostly because I don't actually have one.)

Sorry to go off topic. That's another 3 points on my forum license from the Thread Police. shame
  1. For me, love of the job is essential, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to do the jobs I like well.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Points are well taken Steven. I admire your Grandfather and his positive attitude on life. The hardest thing for me is the brain functioning. To have it and then have it taken away and sometimes your fine and sometimes your not is difficult.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    It's just I've only ever known accounting and I know I don't want to do accounting (at least in public practice).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    follow your dream
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    follow your dream

Dreams are meant to be crushed, aren't they?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    KevinSmith wrote
    sdtom wrote
    follow your dream

A very negative attitude my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    sdtom wrote
    follow your dream

A very negative attitude my friend.

Indeed! You'll get no where in life if you think like that!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014 edited
    This seems to be the thread that would suit my current dilemma best.

So my current project is coming to an end (well, not really. I'm just finally bowing out after THREE years and no end in sight, as I was getting pigeonholed and getting a little frustrated by that).

And then, in a ridiculously luxurious situation I now have a choice of two projects:

- One is a four month implementation job. It's quite technical (which I don't enjoy), setting up a complex IT infrastructure and security.
    But here's the thing: it's for the European Space Agency!
    How awesome is that? (Plus, I get to visit Rome smile )
    It's pretty high stakes though: it's a major account and may lead to follow-up business if handled well.
    If I'd f*ck this up, I'm doomed.
    However, if it's successful, I'm a hero.
    So: major political complexities there.

- Second is a pretty permanent position as a service design consultant on a new service development team I have had my eyes on joining for two years now! Had a chat with the team lead and the match seems about 120%! I know I'd really enjoy this job and be very good at it...but the risk and visibility are almost nill. It's well in my comfort zone. And if I do this, that's it for a few years.
    No game changers, no major challenges.

Both jobs start yesterday, and there's no way to keep one on the back burner while doing the other one.
    It's one or the other.

So I'm really going over and over it in my mind to try and figure out what the right step is.
    Oh, I know I'll figure it out before Friday (the deadline), but I'm mostly and foremost kinda hoping that by writing it down I'll create some structure in my mind where the pluses and cons become a bit more clear.

Plus, of course, any thoughts from the good community here would be greatly appreciated.
    I tend to lock myself in my own head with these things, so any outside input might just provide that little bit of clarity.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mel's dad worked for ESA for many years ( retired last year ) working from Germany ( and in Italy for ten years ), took him on a few travels including all expenses paid tour behind the scenes at NASA and a big private dinner for all important types held underneath the suspended Saturn V at Cape Kennedy or whatever it's called now?

Not sure if I've been any help but good luck in choosing and may you choose wisely. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. It just occured to me that I don't really know what you are all doing for a living. I only know about my fellow teachers on the board.

If you feel adventurous, Martijn, do the ESA job. If you want securtiy and time for your loved once, do the other.

All the Best!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not very exciting and I hardly ever mention it, Volker: I handle large ICT projects (mainly service development and processes; like setting up new support teams for major customer services like SharePoint) for T-Systems. I work mainly (or indeed exclusively) on their Shell accuont, so everything I do is for the customer Shell, an environment I now know very well indeed.

It can be great fun and offer good challenges, but it's far from exciting fare on cocktail parties, so I seldomly discuss my job.

Anyway, thanks for the input, Tim and Volker.
    Appreciate it!

(What did Mel's dad do at ESA, Tim? Just curious!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Wow, Martijn, that seems to be quite a luxury position you're in for sure! On the plus side, I feel there's no wrong choice to make here. Either one, there're major benefits to be had: either a great life experience in context of the job (the first option), or stability on doing something you'll love.

Of course I can't really tell you what you should do, there're elements here I can't oversee dealing with your own needs for the perfect job. If it were me, I'm currently at a point in life in which my job almost seems a bit suffocating, just the fact I've been doing it for 6 years now and thinking I'll be doing it for the next years frightens me. If I now had the choice between settling in something stable or getting a once-in-lifetime chance I'd definitely be taking the chance. After all, you might enjoy the stable job for now, but are you sure it won't bore you in the longer run? With this, I don't know the nature of your current job and if you get bored easily? Also, you might learn more in terms of personal growth and experience from this option.

On the other hand, I believe you've had quite a rough few years behind you and I can imagine the peace of mind might just be the thing you need. The first option will probably, if I read it correctly, come with its fair share of stress, be it on the job or after those 4 months, when you need yet another job.

Either way, plus and minuses on both! It often helps me if I just take a decision on one, and see if that decision starts to nag. Sometimes it's not until you throw one option away until you realize how much you wanted that one.

P.S.: the first option really seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity and one that only lasts for 4 months, while the latter one is an option that might stay around for a while, a vacancy at a place where they might have an opening again in another few months? How imaginable is it that that one presents itself again in the future? Or: are you really throwing that job away completely , definitely, if you don't take it NOW?

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but it's just some thoughts that spring into my mind. Good luck, either decision can be the right one if you take it for the right reasons!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014
    Hmmm, the temptation was too hard to resist, so here I am writing again after soon long! Martijn honey you are the only one who can answer this question but as the saying goes "Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you'll fall among the stars"! Take it from someone who has regretted not doing so! Just a thought!
    And I haven't forgotten what I've promised! And Tim we get to meet next year but I can't say more yet!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. Actually "shoot for the moon and even if you miss you'll fall among the stars" is quite meaningful in this ordeal... and I would go with this sweet and apt phrasing, taking it a bit more literally wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014
    I have absolutely no clue what your job is, Martijn, and I'm not sure I would even if you explained it to me in baby terms.

But....go for the 'space job', man! It's friggin' space!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014 edited
    BobdH wrote
    On the other hand, I believe you've had quite a rough few years behind you and I can imagine the peace of mind might just be the thing you need. The first option will probably, if I read it correctly, come with its fair share of stress, be it on the job or after those 4 months, when you need yet another job.

I was thinking the same. You've had a lot of stress! So the ESA will bring up a lot of stress due to the important task there, but it should be over by summer! smile

As for your job, that's all impressive Martijn. Congratulations. I'm 'just' a developer and I usually have respect for the people who can manage the big projects here. They often don't always agree or line with how the developers think but they are certainly ahead and brave!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014
    Thanks for all the great considerations, guys.
    I helped a LOT. Seriously. It really got my head in the right place.

Still some discussions to be had with direct stakeholders, but I'll come back here and let you guys know whether or not it worked out...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    And Tim we get to meet next year

We do!??

Oh, okay then. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not sure if my practically non-existent wisdom on matters like this will help at all, but I get the sense one is an exciting risk, and the other a comforting certainty? I suppose it depends 'where you are' in your life; do you want to mix things up and hope for a different outcome on the Magic 8 Ball, or do you want to settle for security and peace of mind?

Purely from my own perspective, given 'where I am' in my life, I'd take the risk. I'd shake the crap out of that Magic 8 Ball and go with whatever it says! Perhaps try the classic coin flip - you'll hopefully know what job you want when it's spinning in mid air.

Timmer wrote
    Mel's dad worked for ESA for many years ( retired last year ) working from Germany ( and in Italy for ten years ), took him on a few travels...

Every word that wasn't 'outer' and 'space' after this sentence was a disappointment.

( wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    haha biggrin

( Martijn, I'm not sure exactly what he did, I'll ask Mel later )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Again: thanks, guys.
    Some proper, insightful advice there.
    You know, it doesn't matter how well you know the business or the tech.
    You get me. You get the considerations. And that really is what I was looking for.

Some very strong and eerily accurate points from Bob and Bregt. An excellent metaphor from Steven. Some lovely words from Pawel and Stavi. Tim and Volker's great insights.

And a massive laugh-out loud caused by Thor's "But....go for the 'space job', man! It's friggin' space! "! biggrin

Thanks all! beer
    You're great!

...and: "Houston. We have lift-off!". smile
  4. Congrats! Per aspera ad astra!
    Again All the Best, Martijn!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    fireworks punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Time to put on Horner's Apollo 13! punk