• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014
    (Although, on second thoughts, some of the tracks may cause some anxiety. Just skip those ones.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014
    Enjoyed reading all of the comments. I went for the safer job and turned it into something exciting that I looked forward to going to everyday until the stroke knocked me down. I was offered highly visible exciting positions but I passed on all of them and had no regrets.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014 edited
    Martijn wrote
    ...and: "Houston. We have lift-off!". smile

Woohoo, the once-in-a-lifetime and educational growing experience!
    Congratulations, and godspeed! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014
    Hooray, Martijn! Congrats!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014 edited
    Yay! Well done.

Does that also mean that you will get us all a ticket for the next satellite launch in Baikonur?
    Kazoo
  1. ESA spaceport is Kourou, isn't it?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2021 edited
    For my whole life, I've been sorta adament about working with things that interest me and that I'm passionate about. But after more than a decade now of freelancing and living under the poverty line, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that a "normal" job (that doesn't deal with film) may give me more economic comfort in my everyday life. So I'm starting to think about a part-time job that fulfills some of the basic income, even if it's not something I'm interested in.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's interesting to read over this topic again. In the intervening years it would be interesting to hear if opinions have changed.

I do wonder what proportion of people love the jobs they do? Love waking in the morning to head off to work. Not many, I suspect. Thor, in your case, do you enjoy the writing that you do as part of your filmic area? Because you could use your skills as a writer in different subject areas? Or editorial positions?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2021 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I like my current job. It's not something I want to do long though, and I'm looking forward to some changes in technologies I work with, but I don't wake up often and say "sigh, another day". Though, after my trip to Laos, I have more issues with routine.

ah, and he's only working a couple of months

I want to hear how you would react when you worked 5 years smile

I still like my job, perhaps more than before. I'm now sort of an expert in a certain tech stack, at least in the company I work. I support lots of people and projects with my knowledge. I have been working on several technologies over those 12 years, but since a few years I found my expertise. Hope to evolve there, but not sure what will come in a few years. The company I work at, is still the golden cage. Good pay, very flexible, closeby, ...

I often think about my work after the job itself. "how would I tackle this?", "ooh, I didn't think about that, lets try that tomorrow", ... I'm quite passionate about the tech itself sometimes.

However, it's a job that still gives me lots of (negative) stress reguarly. Flexibility comes with a price. Deadlines means overwork, a few times a year there's a busy period where I work after hours. I have a hard time handling certain situations. Working at home for a full year, certainly didn't help that. I have physical problems because of that (lack of sleep, etc)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2021
    Thor wrote
    For my whole life, I've been sorta adament about working with things that interest me and that I'm passionate about. But after more than a decade now of freelancing and living under the poverty line, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that a "normal" job (that doesn't deal with film) may give me more economic comfort in my everyday life. So I'm starting to think about a part-time job that fulfills some of the basic income, even if it's not something I'm interested in.

A "regular" job doesn't mean you can't do the freelancing next to it? Also, a regular job doesn't mean you can't get passionate about it. Would something in IT be something? Editor for a (film) magazine?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2021 edited
    Bregt wrote
    A "regular" job doesn't mean you can't do the freelancing next to it? Also, a regular job doesn't mean you can't get passionate about it. Would something in IT be something? Editor for a (film) magazine?

Yes, the "regular" job would be like 2 days a week, and the rest I could fill with freelance work. I'm not at a place, health-wise, where I can work 100% anymore, but something like 60% percent all combined would presumably nudge me an inch above the poverty line -- a place where I didn't have to dig into my savings every single month, and wasn't dependent on unemployment fare.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I like my job to a degree, and accept my role in it to help the customer. But my job gives me endless amounts of negative feelings because my chef ignores the basic concept of what leadership is. She happily accepts the good, but fails to act on the bad.

A chef needs to do the right thing in good and bad times, yet is so happy to ignore the latter. In fact she finds it easier to strike down the few who try to open her eyes, by giving them the basic evaluation: your work is exemplary, your attitude is not. By which my response is: so which means you happily accept people who's work is less but keep their mouths shut and just let it go?

Not with me. There's a lot of my mother in me. And for that I'll never be ashamed smile

Nothing is perfect, but if you're content with good, you'll never be great. And ignore to see what's going bad ... until it's too late. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but if she accepts endless amount of errors, and endless amount of people who profit from others, then it's just shutting your eyes for the people who profit from the system. I know that's life in general, it happens everywhere. But that's where leaders come in.

The question is, will my chef pay the price, or eventually will I?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh