• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009 edited
    Apparently there are a few less-that-percipient members among us when it comes to the simple act of quoting. So dedicated entirely to these special individuals, here is a no-frills guide (not law) to quoting:

1. If a reply is already littered with quotes and you want to reply to it, consider two things:

i) Was it the last post in that thread? If so, usually no need to quote. People -and specifically the person you are replying to- will understand that you are replying to him or her partly because of the subject matter, but mostly because IT'S RIGHT UNDERNEATH.

ii) If it's a post a few posts up or indeed on a previous page, then quote it you probably should. But as a post already littered with quotes, try to see if there's any information in that post that isn't needed to get your subject-of-reply across. For example, to answer the question included at the end of this fascinating post:

Person A:
    Hi, nice day.

Person B:
    Yes, it is.

Person A:
    I'm glad that you think so.

Person B:
    I too am glad.

Person A:
    Then I am glad that you are glad, and that you shared this useful and positively enthralling bit of information with me.

Person B:
    You're welcome. What's your favourite thing about the weather?

Person A:
    The sky.

...can EASILY be condensed to:

Person A:
    What's your favourite thing about the weather?

Person B:
    The sky.

2. If you want to reply to a particularly long post, consider these things:

i) If it's a general reply to the whole statement and it was the last post of the thread, then there's usually no real need to quote it.

ii) If it's a few posts back, then quoting it is probably a very good idea - again, if you want to respond to it in general.

iii) If you want to respond to something specific, then quote only the relevant parts, whether or not it was the last post of the thread or not.

3. If you are responding to a short post that happens to be the last post in that particular thread without many or indeed any quotes already within it, then it's really in the repliers discretion whether he or she chooses to quote. Doesn't really matter either way. Of course if it is a short post a few posts back, then good god QUOTE.

4. Don't be a retard.

There. Not only have I given a useful guide for the less perceptive among us, I have also proved that I have FAR too much time on my hands.

I think I'll now get a beer. beer drink

If you want an audio version of this guide, then write to the Dummies company and I'm sure they will provide you with it. If you need help with any of the longer words, they will also provide you with a copy of Dictionary for Dummies. (If you still need further help, I suggest The Bible for Dummies. You're bound to find at least some answers in there.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Quoting for Dummies

You should get this stickied. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Apparently there are a few less-that-percipient members among us when it comes to the simple act of quoting. So dedicated entirely to these special individuals, here is a no-frills guide (not law) to quoting:

1. If a reply is already littered with quotes and you want to reply to it, consider two things:

i) Was it the last post in that thread? If so, usually no need to quote. People -and specifically the person you are replying to- will understand that you are replying to him or her partly because of the subject matter, but mostly because IT'S RIGHT UNDERNEATH.

ii) If it's a post a few posts up or indeed on a previous page, then quote it you probably should. But as a post already littered with quotes, try to see if there's any information in that post that isn't needed to get your subject-of-reply across. For example, to answer the question included at the end of this fascinating post:

Person A:
    Hi, nice day.

Person B:
    Yes, it is.

Person A:

Person B:
    I too am glad.

Person A:
    Then I am glad that you are glad, and that you shared this useful and positively enthralling bit of information with me.

Person B:

Person A:
    The sky.

Person A:

Person B:
    The sky.

i) If it's a general reply to the whole statement and it was the last post of the thread, then there's usually no real need to quote it.

ii) If it's a few posts back, then quoting it is probably a very good idea - again, if you want to respond to it in general.

iii) If you want to respond to something specific, then quote only the relevant parts, whether or not it was the last post of the thread or not.

3. If you are responding to a short post that happens to be the last post in that particular thread without many or indeed any quotes already within it, then it's really in the repliers discretion whether he or she chooses to quote. Doesn't really matter either way. Of course if it is a short post a few posts back, then good god QUOTE.

4. Don't be a retard.

There. Not only have I given a useful guide for the less perceptive among us, I have also proved that I have FAR too much time on my hands.

If you want an audio version of this guide, then write to the Dummies company and I'm sure they will provide you with it. If you need help with any of the longer words, they will also provide you with a copy of Dictionary for Dummies. (If you still need further help, I suggest The Bible for Dummies. You're bound to find at least some answers in there.)

William wrote
    Steven wrote
    Quoting for Dummies

Done.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Person A:
    Hi, nice day.

Person B:
    Yes, it is.

Person A:

Person B:
    I too am glad.

Person A:

Person B:

Person A:
    The sky.

Person A:

Person B:
    The sky.

4. Don't be a retard.

William wrote
    Steven wrote
    Quoting for Dummies

Done.

Noice.

It's just too tempting isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That it is, that it is.

Hmmm...I wonder if anyone got whom I am responding to?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I doubt it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sad
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    sad

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    I'll explain it to you William, through interpretative dance:

bhangra

Incidentally I believe this is the first (and hopefully last) time I use that emoticon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm tired of the quote insults Steven
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think you'll find Steven's monomaniacal obsession with the legibility of the board hinges far more on EXCESSIVE rather than LACK OF quoting, Tom.

And it's one -the monomania- I actually subscribe too.
    It is extremely cluttering, distracting and annoying to see a whole slew of old posts being quoted in one post that finally leads to teh poster having nothing more relevant to add but "lol" or "agree", taking up about a page and a half in the process.

If there's the occasional confusion where lack of quoting keeps it unclear who or what the poster is responding to, so be it.
    I simply won't respond if I don't understand it.

And while I grant that Steven's at times acerbic style of irony isn't for everyone, I myself consider him a most worthy padawan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, I agree. Steven meant the overuse of unnecessary quoting, not the limited use o, though, sometimes, it helps when you say something that is a age further than the thing you reply on. But I don't think it's addressed to you Tom.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I'm tired of the quote insults Steven

This thread is not aimed at you in specific Tom. Any 'quote insults' I have thrown your way were not intended to be insulting, so do try to take my comments with a pinch of salt - and realize this is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek thread with a serious point. (As oxymorons go, I think that's a pretty good one.)

To ask for common sense to be employed -which is all I'm really asking here- should not be construed as a personal attack, which is something you unfortunately seem all too quick to assume.

I think I'll get another beer. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Points made.
    Lessons learned.
    Drinks drunk.

Locking the thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    Reminder for everyone who forgot.

Yes, you know who you are!!!!
    Kazoo