• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Unbelievable, that there hasn't been a thread of this talented filmmaker and talented composer. I don't think many people of today will appreciate the music of one John Carpenter but for those who grew up with it know what I'm talking about. His music is superb in the context of his own movies. And don't forget, he has written one of the most recognisable tunes in the history of film music, right up there with Jaws, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Anyway, I thought it was time to make a special introduction to John Carpenter so ...
    happy reading:

- Assault on Precinct 13
    - Big Trouble in Little China
    - Christine
    - Escape from L.A.
    - The Fog
    - Halloween
    - In the Mouth of Madness
    - Prince of Darkness
    - They Live
    - Village of the Damned
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Well done, Thomas. punk

I can't say I find his music much more listenable than, say, Brad Fiedel's, but -like Brad's Terminator- when employed well, it lifts the mood of a film to another planet.

Most of course will be well acquainted with his theme for Halloween, but my perennial favourite will remain that positively haunting, rhythmic melody for Assault On Precinct 13.

The rest of the score is a tough listen (as are most of his), but that theme is excellent and fits the mood of the film like a glove.

As a full score I enjoy his Escape From New York in a sort of detached way (there's no emotional melodic feedback, but the mood and tone of the score completely fits the Armageddon-esque mise-en-scene) and Prince Of Darkness, which I think may be contender for the most scary score in existence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Well done, Thomas. punk

I can't say I find his music much more listenable than, say, Brad Fiedel's, but -like Brad's Terminator- when employed well, it lifts the mood of a film to another planet.

Most of course will be well acquainted with his theme for Halloween, but my perennial favourite will remain that positively haunting, rhythmic melody for Assault On Precinct 13.

The rest of the score is a tough listen (as are most of his), but that theme is excellent and fits the mood of the film like a glove.

As a full score I enjoy his Escape From New York in a sort of detached way (there's no emotional melodic feedback, but the mood and tone of the score completely fits the Armageddon-esque mise-en-scene) and Prince Of Darkness, which I think may be contender for the most scary score in existence.

the problem I discovered when listening to them was, if they went over 30 to 40 minutes it became rather boring and tiresome. I think sometimes having less material works better for Carpenter scores. His synthesisers are dreadful (but carry a certain nostalgic vibe that I find both effective and enjoyable) and he understands the basic aspect of movie music.

It is not music you listen to when you want to enjoy yourselves, but it is music that elevates every one of his movies to the next level. And knowing that made me review them. smile

Plus, the man's got a wonderful knack for writing themes
    alone his Assault on Precinct 13 tune is so easy, and yet so fetching

and don't get me started on his Halloween and Escape from New York themes punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Brad Fiedel, Carpenter, all the same bag'o'v to me i am afraid sad shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    Carpenter´s scores work absolutely GREAT as background music in RPG sessions. Our Cthulhu gamemaster scared the shit out of us, and I used them for my Warhammer sessions.

I never tried them while playing computer games, but I guess in combination with certain horror shooters, they will help you with your heart attack, should you ever need one. biggrin
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Brad Fiedel, Carpenter, all the same bag'o'v to me i am afraid sad shame

I never hated electronic scores, never because if the melody or effect is present, I don't care a rat's ass if its synthesisers or an orchestra performing it. I'm no idiot of course, I prefer and will always prefer orchestral. But Carpenter and to a lesser extent Fiedel understand the effect of their music all to well in certain movies. And I adore them in their own special way
  4. For me, John Carpenter's "top titles" are:

Halloween
    Halloween III: Season of The Witch
    The Fog
    Escape From New York

The score for Assault On Precinct 13 has a couple of great themes but the CD is short (less than 30 minutes) and is not much more than a series of restatements of these couple of themes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, John Carpenter's "top titles" are:

Halloween
    The Fog
    Escape From New York

The score for Assault On Precinct 13 has a couple of great themes but the CD is short (less than 30 minutes) and is not much more than a series of restatements of these couple of themes.

I haven't heard Halloween III, is is good and how much does it differentiate from the original one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    My personal favourite is Prince of Darkness.

If Hell ever really breaks loose in a small unused chapel somewhere in the United States, it will use this as a soundtrack for the occasion.
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, John Carpenter's "top titles" are:

Halloween
    The Fog
    Escape From New York

I haven't heard Halloween III, is is good and how much does it differentiate from the original one?

I think that it's very good!

Just like the movie, the score is completely different from the original movie and there is no reference to the original thematic material.

Audio clips can be heard here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 … ;sr=102-24

"Chariot of Pumpkins", "First Chase", "Hello Grandma" & "It Will Be Morning Soon" are the main highlights. It's quite an atmospheric score - and I like the movie which helps.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    As already pointed out, CLASSIC music and highly effective in the films themselves, but I wouldn't wanna listen to it on its own, except maybe the odd theme or two.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that it's very good!

Just like the movie, the score is completely different from the original movie and there is no reference to the original thematic material.

Audio clips can be heard here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 … ;sr=102-24

"Chariot of Pumpkins", "First Chase", "Hello Grandma" & "It Will Be Morning Soon" are the main highlights. It's quite an atmospheric score - and I like the movie which helps.

it sounds all a little less dated, could be worth checking out
    thanks Alan smile
  8. I've added a review of John Carpenter's score for Halloween II to Maintitles:

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/halloween-ii/

More or less the same music but the album is quite poor. For me it's the combination of synthesiser choices and poor creative choices in putting together the score suites at the end that marks it down heavily.

I remember buying the LP and not liking the music much at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited
    Ooh! Silva releasing an expanded release of John Carpenter's The Fog in October. Two CDs - a rerelease of the original tracks and a second CD with the original score. I have a soft spot for this score: very atmospheric.

www.soundtrack-club.net/content/product … ts_id=4933
  9. Composer quote of the year:

Carpenter commented on remakes of his movies, “I love it, if they are going to pay me money. If they pay me, it’s wonderful. If they don’t pay me, I don’t care. I think it’s unfair if they don’t pay me. I think everyone should pay me. Why not? I’m an old guy now and I need money. Send me money.”
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Is he serious? Shouldn't he be able to make a decent living from royalties?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017
    justin boggan wrote
    Composer quote of the year:

Carpenter commented on remakes of his movies, “I love it, if they are going to pay me money. If they pay me, it’s wonderful. If they don’t pay me, I don’t care. I think it’s unfair if they don’t pay me. I think everyone should pay me. Why not? I’m an old guy now and I need money. Send me money.”

That sounds worryingly like old man ramblings.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Sounds like something a president would say!
  12. Sounds like a sense of humor Thor doesn't get.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017
    Sounds like he doesn't have much control over "people" remaking his movies. I'm all for him getting his dues.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    Anyone checked out Vol. 3 of LOST THEMES? It was released recently. Great stuff. Love all three of these.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. It's funny, I enjoy Carpenter's scores but these 'lost themes' albums are of little interest to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    Yeah, that sounds kinda opposite to my view. I love Carpenter's themes, but always have a hard time getting into his soundtracks as a whole due to their repetitive nature. These LOST THEMES albums, however, are varied and entertaining.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    Yeah, that sounds kinda opposite to my view. I love Carpenter's themes, but always have a hard time getting into his soundtracks as a whole due to their repetitive nature. These LOST THEMES albums, however, are varied and entertaining.

It's interesting how people can have different experiences with composers.

When you mentioned your experience with these albums and related it to my own tastes I was reminded about your tastes regarding the crafted soundtrack album vs. score albums and how I would be the opposite way. And then how you have your tastes re this album vs. Carpenter's score albums and I am, again, in the opposite camp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    The brain is a weird organ, for sure. :D
    I am extremely serious.