• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009
    I said I won't, something which everyone missed
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But you also said you felt it should be deleted. wink (Which seemed a little odd to say the least. Oh well. dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    But you also said you felt it should be deleted. wink (Which seemed a little odd to say the least. Oh well. dizzy )

I'm in the minority on this one, know and accept it. Majority rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooookay. So what exactly is your point? Not least since you can't delete threads since you're not a mod. confused
  1. I don't think this thread is for deletion, honestly. I wanted some humanist discussion here and theological, philosophical, literature discussion is very much in.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I don't think it's very funny (just very weird), but not offensive at all. *) (see edit)
    The mere consideration to delete this thread is absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for.

Anyway.
    Back on-topic.
    ...whatever the hell that was! dizzy

EDIT some time later *): a little research turns up this is actually the text on a MAN's shirt from South Korea. That bit of surrealism initially made it funny to me

However digging further, I found that what ISN'T so funny, is that it appears to be from a book called “Alfie’s Home” by Richard Cohen. The story is that a paedophile uncle turns a kid gay, and it’s up to the church to cure him. The T-shirt's quote is about “Uncle Pete”’s activities. So that does put a very dark slant on things.

Obviously and without any question in my mind D. wasn't to know this. It's obviously just an unfortunate coincidence, and I too didn't consider any underage issue until I found the context. I still see no reason to delete the whole thread AT ALL and in fact would resist that most vehemently.

Can't say fairer than that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sure you hold other sneaky secrets too?

Not funny!

Not funny at all!

Bad call D.

On a t-shirt? Are you serious? And where does it say she's underage? Damn you are too sensitive or i am too raw; don't know but I loled!

I stand by my post. But I agree with Martijn's assessment too.

beer <--to D
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same 'ere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    you can't delete threads since you're not a mod. confused

So certain are you...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's just a stone cold killer! biggrin

But srsly, why would he want to delete the thread in the first place regardless of whether he will/can or not?? That's what I find... odd. *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is my opinion only
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Here is another opinion. I think all pedophiles should be executed.
  2. I concur with that. Or have their genitals cut off without anesthetic and put in their mouths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    While I appreciate the instinctive sentiments, I strongly disagree with putting them in practice.

It's true that of all sex-related offences, paedophila is the one in which recidivism is most rampant. At this point the conclusion is almost inescapable that paedophiles are untreatable.
    However, there's been excellent progress made with "chemical castration", in which people with paedophilic tendencies can lead completely normal and fulfilling lives...except they have no sex drive whatsoever.

Even if that weren't the case, I'd still favour lifelong imprisonment over the death penalty.
    But that is simply because death never is an acceptable form of punishment as far as I'm concerned.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Indeed.
    cough... Michael Jackson... cough

Yes, he was never found guilty. I know.

However, the accusations are enough for me. At least when dealing with that subject. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah.
    The old L'Accusation Est La Vérité argument. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    Ah.
    The old L'Accusation Est La Vérité argument. slant

Not enough for punishment.
    Enough for me to distant myself.
    Face it, not many of us would invite O.J. to Christmas dinner.
    Especially not that he's in prison.
  3. Martijn wrote
    While I appreciate the instinctive sentiments, I strongly disagree with putting them in practice.

It's true that of all sex-related offences, paedophila is the one in which recidivism is most rampant. At this point the conclusion is almost inescapable that paedophiles are untreatable.
    However, there's been excellent progress made with "chemical castration", in which people with paedophilic tendencies can lead completely normal and fulfilling lives...except they have no sex drive whatsoever.

Even if that weren't the case, I'd still favour lifelong imprisonment over the death penalty.
    But that is simply because death never is an acceptable form of punishment as far as I'm concerned.

The question is whether you have TENDENCIES or you put that into practice. I am just so vehement, because a very good friend of mine is a victim of one
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    It is my opinion only

Again you're sort of sidestepping my question: What is your REASON for this opinion? Is it simply because you are that appalled by paedophilia? (Which, incidently, is a feeling I share.)
  4. and not only you, Steven smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I wonder how much of the British public would vote for the death penalty to be reinstated if it was put to a public vote? Judging by my own microcosm of friends I would guess that the public would be all for bringing the death penalty back, a knee jerk reaction, in my belief, to too many 'soft' sentences for some seriously wicked people!?

I'm with you Martijn, though I would want a life sentence to mean exactly that for the most heinous of crimes, no chance of parole, no cushty prison life, but to rot in prison until they're dying day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It is sad to see that out here such cases are popping up almost everyday. I cannot tell you how terrible it is when I open the morning newspaper and read "another minor raped". And worse thing is that people involved are actually authority figures like policemen and politicians. Once the matter gets out the usual sh!t starts, "we're looking into the matter, we've taken the accused into custody, blah blah", and then nothing happens, bribes happen behind backs and no justice to the victim whatsoever. The law needs serious enforcement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and not only you, Steven smile

It's a tricky subject I find. Pedophilia is clearly not a choice in as much as 'normal' people don't choose to be either homosexual or heterosexual. Certainly the acts born from pedophilia are unforgivable, I make no qualms about that, but is pedophilia itself -as disturbing as it is- something to necessarily hate? If a man or a woman admitted to being a pedophile but had never acted upon any of those feelings, and never will do (assuming you can trust them or that they believe this themselves), should they be hated? I find pedophilia is (understandably) one of those subjects that causes fundamental feelings in people, one where to look-at-it-from-all-angles seem irrelevant.

In my case, I don't know anyone or, thankfully, have never been on the receiving end of pedophilia, so I can remain a little bit more 'open minded' about it. I get the sense many aren't. (Which, again, is understandable.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009 edited
    Most of the unusual sexual tendencies are a result of mental/hormonal unstability and can often be treated with proper medication and the patient's will power. But for some reason I've not seen many such successful cases.
  5. I've also read that a research survey showed that people DO react to pedophile material and some of the issues is that kids have the right to test their sexual behavior (even if they don't see it as sexual, some social things, I guess), but the adults have no right to react to it. It's just, people behave that way and take advantage of the child's inabilty to defend him/herself. That's why it's so atrocious to me, especially if the adult is using the authority of a parent to destroy their own child, which is the most atrocious thing possible and honestly, that's the situation I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Most of the unusual sexual tendencies are a result of mental/hormonal unstability and can often be treated with proper medication and the patient's will power. But for some reason I've not seen many such successful cases.

I doubt you can ever really 'treat' a sexual preference. You can certainly dull the effects with medications and therapy I'm sure, but I don't believe you could ever completely get rid of unwanted and unacceptable sexual preferences such as pedophilia. Perhaps in the future when technology could literally re-wire the brain, but for the moment it's stuff of imagination. Imagine if that kind of technology were to to be used in the wrong hands (I suppose you could argue what then are the right hands?)... you'd probably end up with a lot more Scientologists in this world! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Even having a slight disability doesn't rob a person of his free will and sense of judgement, and if they still go ahead to commit such an act then it's about one of the most hideous crimes possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I doubt you can ever really 'treat' a sexual preference. You can certainly dull the effects with medications and therapy I'm sure, but I don't believe you could ever completely get rid of unwanted and unacceptable sexual preferences such as pedophilia. Perhaps in the future when technology could literally re-wire the brain, but for the moment it's stuff of imagination. Imagine if that kind of technology were to to be used in the wrong hands (I suppose you could argue what then are the right hands?)... you'd probably end up with a lot more Scientologists in this world! biggrin

That's very true, even the results are the evidence - it's hardly successful. The only means to control the crime is to reinforce the laws strongly, which is not happening in some places.

The Noida killings incident out here is the worst example. Anyone heard of it?
  6. I haven't heard of the incident, can you expand?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009 edited
    I think it's about the most hideous thing I heard ever. I won't go into too much detail but it involves a certain businessman and his servant, they were caught last year when about 50 child carcasses were recovered from the sewer under their house. Turned out they were not only pedo's but also necro's and cannibals who lured children into the house on pretext of giving candy and then commited all the above mentioned atrocities. So well, they were "arrested" by the police and apparently interrogated hard, but it turns out the man was simply being kept in some VIP shelter because he knew all those police officers well, even despite witnesses and forensic proof recovered from the house. Eventually they were given death by hanging but then their families began pleading and nothing has happened now. I heard they were even considering releasing them with just some fine. With this kind of law enforcement, no wonder such incidents are on the rise and the perpetrators are even more fearless. Terrible.