• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009
    Mmmkay; i'm fed up with this discussion, you leave no space for arguments since you abolish them as idiotic and false. I'm off to the gym. To do straight, manly stuff, you know.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    I thought it was Sydney!? wink

I was propositioned on George Street within moments of arriving. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

And Martijn, Amsterdam is the worlds gay capital? I thought it was Sydney!? wink

San Fransisco ain't far off!

I got called cute by some guy when I was about 10 years old during my first trip to San Fransisco, although I fear that story may go to undermine Martijn and mine's points made in this thread. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry, I got it wrong. I always thought San Francisco was the worlds gay capital with Sydney second.

I was denied entry into a gay club in SF because I was with my girlfriend
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mmmkay; i'm fed up with this discussion, you leave no space for arguments since you abolish them as idiotic and false.

Yes, and the reason there is no space for you to argue is because you haven't got a valid point, not because we're using logic and reasoning to undermine a perfectly valid point of view. That would be impossible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mmmkay; i'm fed up with this discussion, you leave no space for arguments

But D., not to put too fine a point on it: you have given none!
    You have offered opinions, old wives tales, suggestions, innuendo and preconceptions...but no argument at all!
    In fact, you have consistently deflected verifiable arguments (or at least valid sociological, ethical and logical points) put forward by Steven and myself.
    I'm honestly sorry you feel put upon.
    Obviously that is never the point.

But some points of view cannot remain unchallenged.
    It would be less than our humanity to do so.
    I am under no misapprehension whatsoever that I am able to change your mind.
    But as you are an intelligent and logically thinking individual, I hope for maybe a spark of doubt in the embers of your certainties. smile

Timmer wrote
    I thought it was Sydney!? wink

It may well be. smile
    Amsterdam has this tendency to make itself way more important than it really is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mmmkay; i'm fed up with this discussion, you leave no space for arguments since you abolish them as idiotic and false.

Yes, and the reason there is no space for you to argue is because you haven't got a valid point, not because we're using logic and reasoning to undermine a perfectly valid point of view. That would be impossible!

Steven,

I always giggle when i read a discussion where you participate, even if i agree with what you write or even when i don't participate in the discussion, but i rather read it independently. 'Cause there's a huge difference in which you and others, in this instance Martjin, formulate and phrase their arguments. The heights on which you elevate your arguments and obviously your self-consideration appear a bit silly to me, in the instances where you get passionate and are so convinced for what you say. I can't help but to detect a level of hypocrisy if what you write, 'cause you always try to cover up your real "raw" sentiments against someone, by trying to appear intellectual and well-researched via means of diminishing the opposition and their arguments and / or their intelligence. Hinting name-calling (or at times even direct) and various slightingly adjectives in order to raise yours above the rest is always a tactic you follow at the end, combined with ridiculing the other's intelligence, beliefs, social views, background etc etc, simply because they don't follow your correctness papal infallibility.

Funny thing is that in opposition to someone like Martijn, again for instance, who STILL caries the same / similar points of view as yours but doesn't try to make me sound foolish and diminish me, HE is the one who comes across with valid counter-arguments whilst you appear as the stubborn boy who holds the flag behind him and blows the whistle. And everything starts off from the point where you don't respect your "opponent" and this is where you lost me; i am not willing to sit here and be preached by you since you are not going to show the least respect expected in adults' debate; i don't know where this arrogance and know-it-all stems from as we are simple 6 years apart in the age-span, but i always found it a blockade for me to further discuss something on which we oppose, especially at the point where you get ridiculously passionate about it.

Anyway, enough with this, our points are perfectly clear by now for anyone who wants to form an opinion or two and i have nothing more to add to the conversation.

MARTIJN,

I'll admit there's always the prospect of homosexual couples adapting little children without their will, that worries me, and it's always in the background of my thoughts on the subject matter; maybe this is why my arguments weren't so clear-cut from the beginning. I am going to have to think about that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't got much to add here as I think everything that can be said has been said, I'll just add that I feel that maybe D feels he's been ganged up on by two members, as an observer not involved in the meat of the conversation I don't believe this to be so, one of the great things about this board is the civility of it's conversations and the friendships created by our large minority of members.

On homosexuality I believe it to be a purely natural occurance, natures way of ensuring 'crowd control' so to speak wink I have a number of gay friends both male and female and one in particular whom I consider a close friend, he's black and I mention that because if you ever want to find out how nasty some people can be then believe me, there is very few worse things than being gay and being black.

I hope I'm making sense because I still feel rough as old boots after Saturdays booze marathon frank
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    D:

And I feel you resort to utterly ridiculous and fragrantly presumptuous personal statements to try and win an argument, all the while side-stepping the very debate we began with. If you give me a perfectly good valid argument, I will either agree with it or agree upon its validity. If you don't, I can assure you I will try to pick it apart to reveal why it's not so valid. It doesn't take a genius to understand that something that could be harmful to society is an invalid point of view, it has nothing to do with using intelligence to belittle you. This is exactly what me and Martijn (independently I might add, and in no sense holding a flag behind him) have been doing. You have failed on each occasion to give an equally valid argument. Your chance is now if you want to.

I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm not getting personal. I'm not even trying to change your mind (although I hope that one day you do). I'm debating. I'm trying to get down to the reasons for your opinion, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. But if you're unwilling to join in on a level-footed debate, then how am I to even begin to accept your point of view?

I do apologise if I have caused offense, I admit that I do get quite *ahem* passionate about subjects concerning ethics, philosophy and science. The way I express opinions probably needs to improve, but I'm very comfortable with my level of debating. For now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm really out of time now, but taking a step back I would be greatly interested in a little "side discussion", if you will, where D. could maybe give the actual instances he felt annoyed or attacked by.

Reading back, I find a lot of doubling up of points between Steven and myself, but I can't find anything that I personally finds particularly harsh or unpleasant.
    Yet obviously such impact was made on D. in some way.

I find that a lot of miscommunication is due to a mismatch between understanding or definition of certain concepts or due to certain words that hold different emotional loads for different parties.

(Yes, it's quite clear that we have two formidably passionate individuals opposing each other, which in itself may well be a recipe for disaster wink, but I am not sure at all if that explains all of it ...after all, I'm pretty passionate about certain subjects myself)

Timmer wrote
    On homosexuality I believe it to be a purely natural occurance, natures way of ensuring 'crowd control' so to speak wink

mega-lol
    That one had me under the table.
    applause

Christodoulides wrote
    I'll admit there's always the prospect of homosexual couples adapting little children without their will, that worries me

A very valid point, and one that goes very much to the very heart of the matter: what are the limits of the norm in any society? How is (psychological/emotional) damage measured?
    This issue is nowhere near as clear cut as the paedophilia vs. homosexuality one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They have tried to deal with the problem in the U.S. and it hasn't worked. They serve there time but no one really wants them around and there not really cured. This isn't drug addiction which can be dealt with. Look at California and the prison system which is over crowded now and growing while I speak. I was only speaking out about killing them in anger over what has happened in San Diego in the past. Actually inmates in prison took care of the problem so I should be ok with that.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Actually, pedophiles go through real hell in prisons. Even prisoners have their ethics and hurting children makes the pedophiles go through a lot of pain, to say it very euphemically. The humorous "don't bend over for the soap" line that is often jokingly said about prisons, works on them with vengeance, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There are cases where they have to be separated from the general prison population which ends up costing yet more money.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think pedophiles managed to form a political party in Netherlands.

They tried.
    They got a grand total of eighteen signatures.

How many is demanded in general?

To participate in national elections, they'd need 30 signatures from each of the 19 election districts.
    So that's 570 all in all.

Next to that, they'd have to cough up 12000 euros as a bond.
    They'd only get that back if at the elections they'd have a minimum number of votes (around 66000, I believe).
  2. Oh, that's good. They learnt their lesson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Only as far as politicking is concerned. slant
    Last I heard is that they are still very active in trying to propagate their "lifestyle".
    One of them wanted to work in pediatrics and was -quite rightly, in my opinion- turned down (he's not just someone with feelings towards children, but a very active columnist who argues "the right of children to have sex with adults" and writer of paedo-erotic stories.
    This is one sick f*ck you DON'T want to have in a kid's vicinity.)
  3. Writer of paedo-erotic stories???

Do they get released??

Somebody hire a sniper to shoot his balls off (but keep alive)...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Do they get released??

Just on the web, as far as I know.
    I haven't really looked deeply into the matter (nor am very much inclined to do so slant )
  4. Neither am I, but maybe there is a way to block his ass?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Only as far as politicking is concerned. slant
    Last I heard is that they are still very active in trying to propagate their "lifestyle".
    One of them wanted to work in pediatrics and was -quite rightly, in my opinion- turned down (he's not just someone with feelings towards children, but a very active columnist who argues "the right of children to have sex with adults" and writer of paedo-erotic stories.
    This is one sick f*ck you DON'T want to have in a kid's vicinity.)

face-palm-mt <-despair

On a related story it was only a few years ago that a Pediatrician got attacked by a small lynch-mob of ignorant cretins no doubt fuelled by the media hype on pedophiles 'living in a street near YOU' type tabloid journalism, unfortunately there are small minorities of communities with this knee jerk response born through ignorance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    On a related story it was only a few years ago that a Pediatrician got attacked by a small lynch-mob of ignorant cretins no doubt fuelled by the media hype on pedophiles 'living in a street near YOU' type tabloid journalism, unfortunately there are small minorities of communities with this knee jerk response born through ignorance.

Name and Shame!!!!! Name and Shame!!!!!
  5. After the whole thing with publishing pedophile names, addresses AND photos in British newspapers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yeah, it was the News of the World if I remember correctly. Grossly irresponible journalism if you ask me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's called irony Pawel, sarcastic irony at that.
  6. My answer got in too far and yes I know it was irony smile

Tabloids aren't fucking responsible, I know that. Where did they get the info in the first place. As much as I HATE pedophilia, I know a FAKE accusation can be a really painful branding not to get off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Next to a false accusation of rape, I find a false accusation of child molestation and incest one of the most reprehensible things that anyone can do to another human being in western civilization (without actually committing a crime).

I would greatly welcome much increased jail sentences for those perpetrating such truly heinous acts.
  7. I agree, it's an awful branding one may not recover from.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Going back to an earlier subject of a few days ago, the death penalty: It is why I'm against it being reinstated, the death of even one innocent person by corporal punishment doesn't justify it, it's an horrendous mistake that can never be rectified.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    beer
    We see eye to eye on that one, Timmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Of course money has to get into this