• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Great... How considerate.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009
    Most people I've come to accept just don't get it.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  2. I need help with a quote.

What sociological quote would appeal to a half-Japanese, half-white girl studying Communication Studies?

I need this for a script I'll be writing soon. Working on the outline right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What sociological quote would appeal to a half-Japanese, half-white girl studying Communication Studies?

"Speak English so that Steven can understand you." - Me
  3. Which part of the sentence don't you understand? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it was a joke on my lack of knowledge of any other language. wink
  4. Ah, OK lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote

"The recklessness of science gave birth to you, Godzilla. Why do you appear before us?
    Because we humans gave birth to this monster. Godzilla is... inside all of us! "
    - Godzilla 2000
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Where did I put that copy you gave me, Martijn?! I still haven't seen it! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ingrate. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote

"It must be very hard to move Disney, but it's better to try than do nothing."
    - Miya
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
  5. OK, I'm serious biggrin
  6. I hoped Thor could help me here smile

Maybe some Giddens?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I hoped Thor could help me here smile

Maybe some Giddens?

Well, it's difficult because you ask an awfully specific question, Pawel. But one that immediately comes to mind is of course the famous quote from W.E.B. Dubois' cornerstone work "The Souls of Black Folk" (which at least has to do with race and coming to terms with your own race):

"It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others, of measuring one’s soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One feels his twoness,—an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder." (Dubois 1903 [1989]: 3)

Perhaps at least the first part - before the "Negro" part - could be used.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thanks, it can be quoted on a lecture!!

Thanks A BUNCH!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    Not sure this is the right topic, but it seems to be a good general topic for philosophy and the like. I posed this question to Erik, but I eventually realised that asking Erik to partake in even the slightest bit of whimsical, harmless philosophy is like asking an orthodox Jew to pray to Jesus while eating a ham sandwich on the day of the sabbath. wink (Both of which I would strongly advise against.)

So, just for fun: If a robot, an artificial form of life created by our own means, had the capability to recreate human thought, feelings and emotions perfectly, should or could we consider it to be alive? To have basic human rights? If it, he, she or whatever literally feels those emotions, what's to say that they're any less real than our own? What's to say that a human is more special than a robot that experiences exactly the same emotions, thought processes and feelings? Where's the qualification? I mean, I certainly don't know.

Though my own general belief (or perhaps point of view) is that if such a robot existed, it would deserve to be treated as a lifeform with basic rights. I think that's a safe assumption since there's nothing we know of as yet that separates us from it; we are effectively biological robots ourselves. We're just squishier than you might envisage this hypothetical robot to be (let's call him 'Data').
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    Not sure this is the right topic, but it seems to be a good general topic for philosophy and the like. I posed this question to Erik, but I eventually realised that asking Erik to partake in even the slightest bit of whimsical, harmless philosophy is like asking an orthodox Jew to pray to Jesus while eating a ham sandwich on the day of the sabbath. wink (Both of which I would strongly advise against.)

So, just for fun: If a robot, an artificial form of life created by our own means, had the capability to recreate human thought, feelings and emotions perfectly, should or could we consider it to be alive? To have basic human rights? If it, he, she or whatever literally feels those emotions, what's to say that they're any less real than our own? What's to say that a human is more special than a robot that experiences exactly the same emotions, thought processes and feelings? Where's the qualification? I mean, I certainly don't know.

Though my own general belief (or perhaps point of view) is that if such a robot existed, it would deserve to be treated as a lifeform with basic rights. I think that's a safe assumption since there's nothing we know of as yet that separates us from it; we are effectively biological robots ourselves. We're just squishier than you might envisage this hypothetical robot to be (let's call him 'Data').

If and when this happens lets make a decision at that time. I somehow don't think it is possible. The human brain is far too complex as I'm well aware of. It can't be repaired to cure stroke damage or mental illness.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    It's a hypothetical philosophical question Tom, a pure thought exercise, not a question that is meant to give a definitive answer in reality. (But my belief is that one day it will become a reality, so perhaps the question is not as hypothetical as you might think.)

I know what, let's not discuss tomorrow's weather since it doesn't affect us now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I would first require a serious definition of 'emotions', which is a vast task since you have a gazillion different disciplines to pull from.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I would first require a serious definition of 'emotions', which is a vast task since you have a gazillion different disciplines to pull from.

Yes, but let's not confuse the point of the question: Imagine 'Data' had a brain that EXACTLY and PERFECTLY replicated our own brains, which would in effect make it indistinguishable from our own (apart from its constituents). This would set the stage for 'emotions' to play out with equal validity in either the human or the robot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, but let's not confuse the point of the question: Imagine 'Data' had a brain that EXACTLY and PERFECTLY replicated our own brains, which would in effect make it indistinguishable from our own (apart from its constituents). This would set the stage for 'emotions' to play out with equal validity in either the human or the robot.

Actually, it matters very much where you come from. Your "biological" approach is only one out of many. Psychology or philosophy, for example, have other definitions that move beyond the purely biological.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, name one? I don't think there has been any observations alluding to the fact that we are more than the sum of our parts. There are certainly beliefs and theories, but if they haven't been observed and proved, how am I to believe them? For now, I will assume the former until some piece of evidence comes our way proving otherwise.

So from that basis, it is very easy to ask this hypothetical question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, what you are in effect saying is that you believe there is more to human thought than physical processes? A "soul" so to speak? Although I fully understand and sympathize with this point of view, since I know the idea that 'we are the sum of our parts' is very much against our intuitive sense of the self, if there's no evidence to back it up, then I feel an 'artificially' replicated lifeform is on an equal playing field to a 'real' lifeform. Thus getting caught up in meta-physics just puts a roadblock in hypothetical question I posed. It's like saying:

"The robot is artificial and therefore doesn't have a soul."

"What is a soul?"

"Who knows."

Kind of kills the discussion. (Which I suppose is fine, but there still remains the unresolved question of what a soul is?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Okay, name one? I don't think there has been any observations alluding to the fact that we are more than the sum of our parts. There are certainly beliefs and theories, but if they haven't been observed and proved, how am I to believe them? For now, I will assume the former until some piece of evidence comes our way proving otherwise.

So from that basis, it is very easy to ask this hypothetical question.

Very broadly speaking, philosophy is often concerned with how we read emotions INTO things rather than necessarily being at the receiving end of it all the time; a form of empathy. Psychology emphasizes emotions as a survival technique; its FUNCTIONS. As emotion researchers Juslin and Sloboda say: "A major purpose of emotion science is /…/ to explain what functionality emotions do have /…/ There is some consensus that the primary function of emotions is to guide behaviour; emotions evolved because they enabled successful interaction with the environment (Juslin og Sloboda 2001: 83)" . In other words, it ties up to SOCIAL INTERACTION. There is also the emphasis on the interplay between our long-term and short-term memories as a crucial mechanism in understanding human emotion.

All of these require something MORE than just "having a brain" like humans.

For example, using the above, one could argue that a non-human entity only has emotions when WE say it has emotions, NOT that it is something it inherently has.

(PS. I just saw your extra post, and you'll see that none of the above have to do with "soul", which is a non-scientific, non-measurable entity AND - I agree - slightly beside the point).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

All of these require something MORE than just "having a brain" like humans.

For example, using the above, one could argue that a non-human entity only has emotions when WE say it has emotions, NOT that it is something it inherently has.

Then all I have to do is to illuminate the question in a different light: What if a non-biological yet absolutely perfect replicate of a human brain was created, and on top of that every memory, emotion, every literal state of the biological brain was 'downloaded' into this non-biological brain. What then is to say that the non-biological brain is not 'alive'? Not worthy of human rights? What is the qualification, if there is one?

Edit: I should also reiterate the original question, but in a different manner. What really constitutes as life? What amongst all these psychological examples differentiate between living and non-living? I think the point has been somewhat missed. I want to know if an artificial brain can ever be considered as a living thing with actual consciousness that deserves basic animal or human rights. What is the cut off point? Even if it's a far simpler being than us, what's to say it doesn't deserve to "live its life", to be considered as more than just a program?

Note I'm merely playing Devil's advocate here and don't really have strong feelings either way, even though I tend to sway towards a favourable view of the non-biological human-built brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Without trying to shortcircuit an interesting discussion, I think that particular question actually has been pretty definitively settled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The variables are endless. People see color in a different way. I don't like red but you do. I like white and you don't. I don't say it is impossible but I will say it won't happen in my lifetime.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Without trying to shortcircuit an interesting discussion, I think that particular question actually has been pretty definitively settled.

Yeah, really can't be arsed to read or interpret that. What's your Point of View™ in a few a words?