• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    I think people without Facebook should be able to view this too.

There's only one word to describe these people disgracing the statue of Lord Buddha. "Pathetic".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    It's very pathetic but that's mild compared to the ancient giant buddha statues the Taliban blew to pieces in Afghanistan a number of years ago.

I liked the Dalai Lama's response to such disrespectful vandalism. 'rather they waste explosives on stone rather than people'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    I agree. Coming back to the 'sum of all our parts' argument, unless there's some quantitative piece of evidence that proves otherwise, a soul particle (wink), I'll continue to assume that this is the case. Build a robot to be, act and feel human, to my mind it IS human - or alive I should say. (But others might and will probably disagree, which is what I'm very much interested in.)

Hi Steven, last year I read a book by Bas Haring, it's called The Iron Will. Bas Haring is a philosopher specialized in evolution theory and in artificial intelligence. He asks the same questions you do and tries to answer them of course. I don't think it's available in English, it's a very funny and interesting book. He is also known for making philosophy understandable for young people and basically for everyone.

Anyway, about this book. The fun thing is he asks himself if robots and computers can be like man or can be better than man (if made by man), can be considered alive, etc. I believe he starts of by turning it around and looking at animals as 'machines' and he looks at behaviour and how we are programmed to survive and what free will actually is. How free is free will?

He discibes how we can program a computer program, the way we are programmed and we behave. He illustrates this very well btw by really writing down how we can easily make a screen saver with a fish and a shark and how we can improve the program in such a way that the fish will escape from the shark and the shark tries to catch the fish. While this is a computer program, we will soon say the fish is scared or the shark wants a fish, and other human behaviour expressions.

He also asks himself what 'alive' is and he says a living being can reproduce itself. Now here is where I have questions because i thought the definition of a living being was that it can grow (so reproduce cells). But he takes his definition and says that if a species can reproduce then computer programs or robots are alive if they are programmed to make new robots or new computer programmes.

He also talks about human things like fear of death, how we try to survive and how a robot designed to survive is 'afraid to die' and responds to that exactly the same. He also talks about consciousness, with animals, humans, and yes artificial consciousness.

I'm sorry for this messy post, I just quickly wrote down some things I remembered from the book. Perhaps I should write a better post about it soon when I have time, or at least give you a translation of the content of the book (or the chapter titles to give an idea).

My opinion? Well, I just feel more comfy with things in my life such as personal identity, love, certain experiences and some feeling of spirituality, and other things that seem just so human to me, but I'm careful with saying that these feelings can't be produced artificially. I really don't know. I don't see why not but I do have a sense of what I would call then 'the human particle'.

Thanks for your interesting input. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    I'm afraid there's not much in English... Bas Haring wrote an essay this year about why we worry about the far future we won't live in ourselves and how bad a future without nature is. To give an idea of what he does with humans vs artificial intelligence, here's a summary of a lecture I found on the internet:

In the 1930s Alan Turing wanted to copy himself and bring himself to life in another time. He came to the conclusion that the best clone would be a copy of his memories and thoughts; that they are his essence. This makes him the founder of computer science: he distinguished between the memory as a collection of data and something that manipulates the memory (the processor) - this is the foundation of the computer.
    In common speech however, cloning means making a biological copy of a body and not the mind. If you see your body as an instrument, a clone might come in handy for spare parts, but in that case the clone should not be able to think (who is who’s clone?). A cloned human is just not handy enough. Genetic manipulation, changing our genetic material in order to become different is already happening. At present mankind is still a product of nature; in the future we will be the product of our thoughts, we will be designed. What is nature? In Chinese there is a character for nature that literally means ‘the things that are like they are’. These are things that are not affected by mankind. Nature creates whimsical, odd and inefficient products. The products of thoughts are less whimsical and inefficient, we often think of them as better than nature because they are faster, stronger etc. It is remarkable that they are also unambiguous. Obviously our thoughts are all the same and more boring than we realise. It is very hard to have a new, original thought. Remko Scha (professor of computer science and artist) recognises that man has a very limited creative mind and he uses computers to create new art, works no human mind could have come up with (but also hideous). So when man becomes a product of thoughts, he will become more boring too, as though we all come from the same factory. Will nature then disappear? Nature will shift, it is an illusion that we will control the making of man entirely. The new nature will reside in this uncontrollable portion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seems like an interesting book! I'm very deep into physics at the moment, but as soon as I give that a rest (which may be never, but anyway), I'll likely delve into some philosophy books.

I pretty much agree you here:

My opinion? Well, I just feel more comfy with things in my life such as personal identity, love, certain experiences and some feeling of spirituality, and other things that seem just so human to me, but I'm careful with saying that these feelings can't be produced artificially. I really don't know. I don't see why not but I do have a sense of what I would call then 'the human particle'.

Although I've never been comfortable with the concept of 'spirituality', at least not in an external sense, I guess it's something deeply ingrained in human consciousness: the idea of 'the self' being more than just the sum of our parts. It's very hard to come to terms with the idea that we are only made from matter and force particles (even if intricately complex in structure) where all emotions, experiences and thoughts are described by the positions, velocities and functions of our constituents. Even I dislike this notion; but comfort of thought shouldn't be indicative of fact. So I remain agnostic but stubbornly practical about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    Steven, do I understand that for you there are two options: either you have a physical form and a self or a physicial form and no self? And is consciousness included in those or not?

If that's the case you could read something about buddhism and find more options: a physical form, consciousness (a greater connected consciousness, even), but no self.

Seems like an interesting book! I'm very deep into physics at the moment, but as soon as I give that a rest (which may be never, but anyway), I'll likely delve into some philosophy books.

That's a shame, that you want to do only one at a time. Physics and philosophy is a beautiful couple. And perhaps even a necessary one to do together. Yes, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced you can't do physics without philosophy.
    smile

You know it sounds like your thing really! The epistemology we talked about earlier, and metaphysica and ontology. I've really fallen in love with philosophy the last couple of years. The whole package, from ethics, to logics, to epistemology, to philosophy of language, everything. It's great to be able to discuss some here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's true that philosophy crops up in physics, it's pretty much an inevitable result of asking the Big Questions of existence and fundamental reality. But I'm far more interested in the physics side of science rather than the philosophical side... for now (even though I still find a lot of interest in philosophy). Also, I've very little interest in anything wishy-washy and too speculative (that is speculations based on unverifiable -especially even in principle- assumptions about "spirituality", so I doubt I'll be reading about Buddhism any time soon.... and even if that's a horribly skewed description of Buddhism, it just doesn't interest me at this point).

Though you can sometimes ignore philosophy depending on what it is you want to describe. You don't need to delve in philosophy to explain why and calculate how a massive object experiences an inverse square law of gravity the further it travels from another massive object: all you need is numbers that come with axioms (which are perhaps nearing an explanation through M-theory/string theory).

Simply put, Buddhism has nothing to say about what happens to nature at the Planck scale, or indeed hold a quantum description of gravity, which is nothing against Buddhism, I'm sure it has constructed various paths leading out of philosophical quagmires (or maybe not, I don't know), but rather it's specifically why it holds no interest to me in describing nature. That's best left to physics, and for now that is what piques my interest. Thus, I'll be reaching for the physics book every time!
  1. Bumping this little thread, because I am now finishing another amazing sociological piece. I'll just say right now that I love Norbert Elias' work. It's *fantastic* and still somehow underappreciated.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website