• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    And the fact that religion in some cases does help people does not make it any more truthful. Surely there are other (and better) ways to bring people together without having to resort to doctrines of fallacious teachings? Surely we do not have to believe absurdities to reap the benefits of such a social network?

This sounds like religion for 90% shouts to others to kill people, with a mere 10% to be good, but actually, it's the other way round. It's just that religion will only get news headlines as soon as someone blows himself up for it, but don't get influenced by the media. They have a way of twisting reality. And the believe in an afterlife for the loved ones who passed away, of being taken care of and such, that's something only religion can give you.

Unfortunately, it's that same comfort that religion gives that is used by mankind to do their own evildoings. It's the flipside of the coin, but they're the same coin. And I wouldn't want to think there's nothing after I die, just because it gives disturbed, mentally ill people the motivation to do horrible stuff.

Just because 90% of religion may be "good" does not make the remaining 10% any less wrong or immoral. The goodwill of religion is possible without having to resort to religion.

Adding to that, I'd say that a belief in an afterlife is waste of time since it encourages us to do good in this life purely for our our own sake; our own salvation in the next life. It encourages us to live in fear, it encourages us to think this life is one we should spend without the fruits it can grant us. For the atheist, we do good because we want to help our fellow living creatures for the sake of doing good, not for pleasing god. Not to say this is the fundamental stand point that all theist takes, but it is the only stance the atheist takes on goodwill, which in and of itself seems the more moral to me.

Of course I have no idea what happens after death, no one does. I'm not even sure I hope there is something after death, but I get more out of life assuming there isn't. (Yet, I do not know there isn't... a truth that will linger in my mind until I die.)

I think it is time that atheists and agnostics (I still give a subtle wince to these terms) realise the respect so many give to 'faith' is unwarranted. I can respect the person, if they are a decent and loving person, but I cannot respect their faith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Moral principles? The 10 Commandments are only a start. Even atheist value system is based on those anyway.

A ridiculous statement I may add. I think a sense of right and wrong is so ingrained in human consciousness that it is most certainly not the 10 commandments that a non-believer has derived their value system from. They have derived it from their own experiences.

The 10 Commandments is an incredibly weak value system if you ask me. They leave much to be desired. They also demand you follow the first few, which are all pretty much the same thing. (Love god.)

Here is a much better and more highly developed value system in my opinion:

Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you.

In all things, strive to cause no harm.

Treat your fellow human beings, your fellow living things, and the world in general with love, honesty, faithfulness [not used in the same meaning as religious faith] and respect.

Do not overlook evil or shrink from administering justice, but always be ready to forgive wrongdoing freely admitted and honestly regretted.

Live life with a sense of joy and wonder.

Always seek to be learning something new.

Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform them.

Never seek to censor yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.

Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.

Enjoy your own sex life (so long as it damages nobody else) and leave others to enjoy theirs in private whatever their inclinations, which are none of your business.

Do not discriminate or oppress on the basis of sex, race or (as far as possible) species.

Do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them how to think for themselves, how to evaluate evidence, and how to disagree with you.

Value the future on a timescale longer than your own.

Question Everything.

- Richard Dawkins and Unknown Author
  1. It seems that Immanuel Kant is one of the authors...

I think that really, the 10 commandments are the part of the Western culture in their form now, because of the importance of Bible as a culture text.

Everything was added upon that, it seems. We really derive from three basic value systems - the Old Testament (Ten Commandments as the principle, the rest of the laws of Torah don't apply to Christians it seems), the Seven Blessings and Commandments of Love (love God above all and the man next to you the same as you love yourself), add to it the whole Greek-Roman principle system, with the illegality of suicide (Judaeic-Catholic value system rejected suicide as a defiance of God - rejecting His gift, which was life) and homosexuality (something religious systems tend not to cope well with, quite not in tune with the second commandment, if you ask me).

What we live in today is a mix between Christianity, Hellenistic philosophy and French Revolution with Romantic additions. And post-war crisis.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Obviously, Steven, not PawelStroinski, wrote
    Adding to that, I'd say that a belief in an afterlife is waste of time since it encourages us to do good in this life purely for our our own sake; our own salvation in the next life.

But isn't everything we do something we do out of egotistical reasons? Aren't humans striving for acceptation by others, rewards and appreciation of their own person anyway? Coming from the theory that everybody is a 100% egotist, surely the leap isn't that big?

As for these 'rules' getting in the way of entering heaven. Well... sure, it must be hell not being allowed to cheat on your wife, murder your peers or envy your friends, but I think I can live with that. Besides, it's these rules that are there to prevent criminals from their evil-doings (darn this english!) and that's among the good sides of religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Adding to that, I'd say that a belief in an afterlife is waste of time since it encourages us to do good in this life purely for our our own sake; our own salvation in the next life.

But isn't everything we do something we do out of egotistical reasons? Aren't humans striving for acceptation by others, rewards and appreciation of their own person anyway? Coming from the theory that everybody is a 100% egotist, surely the leap isn't that big?

I'm sure it was me who said that, not PawelStroinski! biggrin

Yes. We are egotistical, but the belief in the after life is a vain and presumptuous one. Enjoy life as it is I say, enjoy it as much as possible (staying within those moral guidelines so eloquently expressed above).

As for these 'rules' getting in the way of entering heaven. Well... sure, it must be hell not being allowed to cheat on your wife, murder your peers or envy your friends, but I think I can live with that. Besides, it's these rules that are there to prevent criminals from their evil-doings (darn this english!) and that's among the good sides of religion.

'It must be hell not being allowed to cheat on your wife, murder your peers or envy your friends'? So you're saying that religion is the only thing that can teach us that adultery and murder is wrong? That without religion, we would run around as homicidal maniacs who would cheat on their wives at any chance? A little faithless of human decency I'd say. And even if you're saying that religion isn't the only way of teaching this, are you also saying that without it it is more likely? Are you saying atheism grants the atheist the right to do such things? I can't say I'm entirely sure what you're insinuating here...

(Yet again, this is a defense of religion as a moral value system, not of any truths about the cosmos it can teach, which it so clearly professes to do.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    'It must be hell not being allowed to cheat on your wife, murder your peers or envy your friends'? So you're saying that religion is the only thing that can teach us that adultery and murder is wrong? That without religion, we would run around as homicidal maniacs who would cheat on their wives at any chance? A little faithless of human decency I'd say. And even if you're saying that religion isn't the only way of teaching this, are you also saying that without it it is more likely? Are you saying atheism grants the atheist the right to do such things? I can't say I'm entirely sure what you're insinuating here...

(Yet again, this is a defense of religion as a moral value system, not of any truths about the cosmos it can teach, which it so clearly professes to do.)

So, doesn't this make your previous statement obsolete? You already know not to murder, steal, etc., so what does it give if these sins prevent you from getting into the much desired heaven, if you wouldn't do them anyway?

Still, I think you're forgetting the bigger picture here: at the time when the Bible was written, it wasn't as obvious as it is now not to commit these sins. Sure, nowadays we wrote a constitution and common law (once again, they were based upon the Bible!) to prevent people from doing this. Whether or not we would find ourselves committing these crimes when we would not have the law, if nothing prevented us from murdering or stealing, would we do it? I think that takes us to a whole new philosophical level. Not less intriguing, though, so we might get into that as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Added to note:

Pawel's biggest turn-on subjects:

1) Brian Tyler
    2) Religion

Looking forward to the rest biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

That 'teaching of the cosmos with truths' is just a very, very small part of Christianity and any other religion, written in a time when people just didn't have any clue how the universe came to be and were seeking awnsers in religion. You cannot dismiss religion just purely based on this, because it's nothing compared to the bigger picture. Religion probably is at its chore more likely that moral value system, as opposed to 'the absolute truth' about the explanation of the universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Added to note:

Pawel's biggest turn-on subjects:

1) Brian Tyler
    2) Religion

Looking forward to the rest biggrin

Pawel gets turned on by Brian Tyler? Sure, I knew Brian was considered hot...
  2. Actually, there was a review in Poland, which compared Tyler to a boys-band member because of his looks. I think it didn't say much more biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

So, doesn't this make your previous statement obsolete? You already know not to murder, steal, etc., so what does it give if these sins prevent you from getting into the much desired heaven, if you wouldn't do them anyway?

I'm still not sure what you were insinuating? But in response to this statement, it still seems a little vague for me. In what way and how does it make my previous statement obsolete? Which statement does it make obsolete?

I still stand by my quotation from Hitchen's book. It perfectly sums up what I'm trying to get at. Read it again if it helps you to understand where I'm coming from. I also still stand by what I think about belief in an afterlife, at least one that desensitizes and confuses our sense of morals in this life.

Still, I think you're forgetting the bigger picture here: at the time when the Bible was written, it wasn't as obvious as it is now not to commit these sins. Sure, nowadays we wrote a constitution and common law (once again, they were based upon the Bible!) to prevent people from doing this. Whether or not we would find ourselves committing these crimes when we would not have the law, if nothing prevented us from murdering or stealing, would we do it? I think that takes us to a whole new philosophical level. Not less intriguing, though, so we might get into that as well.

Exactly! Because 2000 years ago we knew almost diddley squat about the true nature of the universe. So how can you trust anything the bible has to say on matters of such profoundity? If this was the case, surely its sense of morality is too outdated?

And how were they based on the bible? (Non-rhetorical question.) Why would the fact that laws based around (apparently not directly taken) the bible make it any more true? (I know this isn't what you were getting at, but it's a point worth mentioning.)

I've yet to see any argument from a theist that gives me any good reason to adhere to their belief system. I return to my original point, that being the problem I have with faith itself - it professes to know what it simply cannot. The nature of a belief system (what a religion has to have for it to be a religion) proposes that every one else is wrong but those that agree to it. (Tell me I'm wrong? Please, I actually want to be wrong on this one!) Atheism does not in anyway assume that every one is wrong but them. But the believer, the faithful, then argues that their religion serves a greater purpose rather than simply teaching truths of the world. Fine. But THIS is what I find highly self-defeatist to the very nature of religiosity itself, and I am constantly in awe and bewilderment that this is the continuing argument they put forward to the non-believer.

On a more personal note, if I were to believe what the bible tells me, I'd find less beauty in the world than I do now (which is a lot by the way). Perhaps in that sense I am a pantheist, much like Einstein. (Note I am NOT relying on his reputation as a genius to in anyway justify my own points.)

I must digress, I'm off to get wasted! biggrin smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    Interesting thread!
    I find Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris to be voices of reason in an age clutted by religious insanity.
    However, I still allow for the possibility of a creator that may reveal at the end of everything why things had to be the way they were. Maybe for some greater lesson for all. For some greater glory!
    But then I've had decades of religious programing behind me. So it just may be condition residue here.
    I was intrentched in christianity for nearly 3 decades until I began to ask questions and observe the church and its belief systems from the outside. What a journey!
    To quote Batty from Blade Runner "I've seen things you people would'nt believe". This includes exorcisms, healings, speaking in tongues and other manifestations. But I have yet to see anything that can be claimed as truly "supernatural". Any of the above can be produced by man alone.
    Then there are big questions reguarding the bible and God's "unconditional" love for all mankind......um, so long as they repent and follow him by going to church and preaching to a lost world about the truth of "their" belief system and how you to must repent or burn forever for not recieving God's free gift of "unconditional" love! This doctrine is highly problematic. So I studied it's history and origins.
    The concept of eternal damnation is one of the most manipulative tools of fear ever devised by MAN!
    Religions use this concept for fear control. It's powerful and dangerous. And handy for leaders to use when needed. It also creates a confusing monster of a god that loves us beyond our understanding yet will eternally condemn us for not seeing his "unfailing" love towards us. We've seen the fruit of this belief.
    I won't go on any further.
    I'll just say believe what you want people. But ask yourselves this: does what you believe promote love, tollerance, non judgement of others, freedom from condemnation, enjoyment of life and finally peace?
    I love life. And I'm free to love and experience it without fear or question!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not entirely sure what we're discussing here.
    Is it moral values and their prevalence throughout history and cultures?
    Belief systems that oppressively dictate human action without the option of criticism or adaptation?
    The existence of God?

While obviously these issues are (hopelessly) intertwined, it's not quite clear what the focus of the debate is, which makes for difficult participation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008 edited
    Oh, I'm not quite sure either, I just react on the statements that are given dizzy
    It all began with 'religion is bad', after which the debaters just got out everything they got on religion, but really, the focus is all over te place.

Not in the mood now, though, will continue later, perhaps smile
  3. I wanted to make it about oppressive (or not) belief systems (or rather are the systems oppressive in and of themselves or rather some people are), but it went all over the way as Bob said.

The problem is that we try to discuss something impossible to discuss too - the existence of God Himself. No matter what we state here we either believe in His existence or not. Medieval philosophy tried to solve the problem in a "scientific way" (the same scientific way made us live in the year 2008 rather than 2014/2015), but I wouldn't discuss existence of God, for the sake of being unable to prove anything.

Hitchens is right about the assertion/dismission. It's your free choice what you choose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I'm not entirely sure what we're discussing here.
    Is it moral values and their prevalence throughout history and cultures?
    Belief systems that oppressively dictate human action without the option of criticism or adaptation?
    The existence of God?

While obviously these issues are (hopelessly) intertwined, it's not quite clear what the focus of the debate is, which makes for difficult participation.

Hopelessly intertwined! dizzy

All of the above and more I'd say. My initial point was a description of atheism and what it stands for (because it's sometimes mistakenly seen as a sort of fundamentalism itself), and it went on from there. From what I feel about faith itself to the absurdity of religious doctrines.

Here is MY biggest problem with faith: It is based on next to no proof. Yet is reveals itself as impervious to outside criticisms. Compare 'faith' to that of a theory a scientist develops. That theory is subject to rigorous testing, perhaps debate and in most cases criticism. This is a theory that (again, in most cases) has been based on thought, logic, and reason. 'Faith' has none of these going for it, yet it is generally considered "offensive" to criticize it? Why? In the same sense, should we not respect the beliefs that a mental patient may hold? Should we not respect the beliefs of UFO conspiracy theorist just as highly as any others' beliefs? And why do we not? Clearly it's sanity in numbers.

Religion can be a source for good and has done a lot of good throughout its history, and clearly has a positive effect on a lot of its followers. But to use that as a primary justification for the evil it has harbored throughout history is rather weak. I wish the human race could find another way to make themselves feel better, because ultimately it is making them feel a lot worse.

(The debate may appear 'hopelessly intertwined' - which I don't think it is, we've merely been bringing up further points in each post and responding to them as such - does not mean it takes anything away from some good points on both sides of the argument here.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I think the existence of God is an impossible discussion, since ultimately, there is no real proof indeed, and it comes down to 'faith'. There's no beginning to that, and I don't think that's what we're talking about either. What's more on discussion is the way people react to religion and how they use it, as opposed to coming at it from a divine point of view or the religion in itself.

Steven wrote
    Religion can be a source for good and has done a lot of good throughout its history, and clearly has a positive effect on a lot of its followers. But to use that as a primary justification for the evil it has harbored throughout history is rather weak.

Which I defended by saying it's the chore of religion that delivers the good, and it's the way people misuse religion that causes the bad. In a nutshell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    [...]it's the way people misuse religion that causes the bad. In a nutshell.

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What do you mean by misuse? Do you deny that the Bible has some verses that has caused alot of suffering throughout history (i.e. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live")? Why is the responsibility always put solely on men, instead of the religion, when the fundament itself has so obviously harmful verses? If a religion has harmful elements isn't it important to recognize them, instead of keep making excuses?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    plindboe wrote
    What do you mean by misuse? Do you deny that the Bible has some verses that has caused alot of suffering throughout history (i.e. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live")? Why is the responsibility always put solely on men, instead of the religion, when the fundament itself has so obviously harmful verses? If a religion has harmful elements isn't it important to recognize them, instead of keep making excuses?

Peter smile

No, I do not deny Bible(s) do indeed have several, if not numerous harmful verses, as do a lot of philosophical texts etc. have. But also the Bible has been made by human hand and their interpretation of the religion, coming from the beliefs and morals of the times in which they were written. It's up to us, in this modern world, to recognise these texts are ages old and cannot be applied to today and as such should only be interpreted (and no matter how strict you are, everybody interprets the texts to a certain agree). It's the chore of religion that do not propagate suffering, but love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

Agreed.

We have an agreement! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Jediism! biggrin

I prefer Morriconism. "Thou shalt keep 'The good, the bad and the ugly' holy". "Thou shalt have no other composers before me". "Thou shalt not steal, unless it's a Morricone CD and thou don't have enough money to buy it". "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Morricone collection".

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BobdH wrote
    No, I do not deny Bible(s) do indeed have several, if not numerous harmful verses, as do a lot of philosophical texts etc. have. But also the Bible has been made by human hand and their interpretation of the religion, coming from the beliefs and morals of the times in which they were written. It's up to us, in this modern world, to recognise these texts are ages old and cannot be applied to today and as such should only be interpreted (and no matter how strict you are, everybody interprets the texts to a certain agree). It's the chore of religion that do not propagate suffering, but love.

That is a healthy approach that I can only support.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pfft, Goldsmith is the true path to enlightenment! tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Blasphemer!!!!! Goldsmith is the path to Hell fire!

Play "Once upon a time in the west" 3 times daily and whistle the tune to "The good, the bad and the ugly" before you go to bed, and you might be granted access to the great Morricone collection in the sky.

Peter biggrin
  4. Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

Agreed.

Actually that's what I tried to say all the time!
  5. BobdH wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Again, agreed. And also with something that I think Bob said earlier. Bible was written in a specific cultural and historical context. Many of the most controversial and most misinterpreted fragments (that's a theory of mine though) might have been written just to make the people feel better - please remember a big chunk of the Bible was written when Israel was enslaved by the Babilonians, so they tried to do everything to maintain the culture. The whole anthropological concept of The Other may be of use here, but I'm not so good in it, to use it in a very conscious way.

We tend to see medieval people generally as stupid idiots, which is a large simplification. Maybe all the Biblical misinterpretations were to ground the cultural basis, for lack of better word. Christianity was the foundation and with Latin built universality of the Medieval world. It has been naive, but please remember than one of the biggest Enlightement rationalists - Francoise Maria Arouet aka Voltaire - was really strongly believing in the existence of witches.

I also recommend you all reading Praise of a Folly by Erasmus of Rotterdam. He shows that many of the stupid misinterpretations was about scholastics - the philosophical method - going seriously awry. Amazing work in itself, BTW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

Agreed.

Actually that's what I tried to say all the time!

But not what anyone was disputing. It's one point among many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    The debate may appear 'hopelessly intertwined' - which I don't think it is

You misunderstand, dear boy.
    I meant that these three issues (Moral values and their prevalence throughout history and cultures,
    belief systems that oppressively dictate human action without the option of criticism or adaptation and the existence of God) are almost impossible to discuss separately and apart from each other. Hence them being hopelessly intertwined.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    Dammit, I was hoping for a trademark Martijn essay with counterarguments against my own! (Or at least those that I've borrowed from others that I happen to agree with. biggrin )