• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    Holy. That's not something to read while at work. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Totally irrelevant comment. I work with physics. It's all around you whether you realize it or not. Next wink

Physics, schmysics.

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Totally irrelevant comment. I work with physics. It's all around you whether you realize it or not. Next wink

You probably meant to make the allusion, but just in case you were not: I really had to smile at how that argument mirrors the one employed by the most ardent and fundamentalist of religious believers.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Bregt wrote
    Holy. That's not something to read while at work. dizzy

Long story short, epistemology is the theory of how we learn stuff and perceive knowledge. For example rationalism against empiricism - do we learn about the world by our minds (ratio = mind in Latin) or by our experience?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Metaphysica try to explain what sound is which is kind of a mystery of course, yes Steven, a mysterious wonder wink .

In that case it's not doing a particularly good job at explaining... wink

Bregje wrote
    the Cretenzer paradox by Epimenides

Too bad you weren't around when we discussed that particular one in excruciating and Bregt-maddening detail. dizzy

You know, some people think philosophy is a supportive science to other sciences. And some think it is the mother of all sciences. And some say it's somewhere between science and theology. I really like the 'uiteindelijkheidsoptiek' (?) of it, opposed to just one aspect of life, like in science.

A slightly awkward translation I've seen used would be "eventuality point of view".
    I'd prefer "holistic approach" though, as that does seem to cover the content quite nicely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote:
    And, compared to some of my colleagues, I am very rational. I would like to study logic as well.

I thought this one was worth its own post.
    I SO COMPLETELY AGREE!
    Even to the point where I think formal logic should be an integral part of any educational curriculum: its importance cannot be overstated. It makes all the difference between "uhm...I think in my gut, that, like maybe, there's something not right. But hey, it sounds good. So maybe..." and "this is WRONG", which power of distinction is horribly lacking in many of today's education, media, and society at large!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Oh, I would like to do it for fun. Not neccessarily for usefulness or importance.
    Those two sentences you quoted were not really related. I just notice that I am a rational person. And I would like to study logics out of personal interest.
    smile

If any subject should be part of any curriculum it should be ethics and everything that has to do with subjectivity, values and empathy, in other words share experiences and try to understand just a little bit of eachothers experiences and that would make a better place. Guess what, that would be my subject actually.
    tongue

Seriously, I think logic can be important for instance to learn how to argument reasonably and to see flaws in scientific reseach and reasoning, but it's also very much based on language and western rational thinking, so...

I think we should be more careful with western rationality.
  2. Ditto. Somewhere this summer I will reread a book on formal logic, which I had on first year of the uni treated with some disrespect.
  3. Bregje wrote
    Oh, I would like to do it for fun. Not neccessarily for usefulness or importance.

If any subject should be part of any curriculum it should be ethics and everything that has to do with subjectivity, values and empathy, in other words share experiences and try to understand just a little bit of eachothers experiences and that would make a better place. Guess what, that would be my subject actually.
    tongue

Seriously, I think logic can be important for instance to learn how to argument reasonably and to see flaws in scientific reseach and reasoning, but it's also very much based on language and western rational thinking, so...

I agree completely with you Bregje, as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    it's also very much based on language and western rational thinking, so...

It is most definitely not!
    Formal logic finds its roots in ancient Greek and Middle-Eastern intellectual exercise!
    It is based, if anything, on mathematical games played thousands of years ago, extrapolated to reasoning, not 'language' per se.

Why? confused
    What harm or damage does it do that we should be careful with it?
    (Besides, I don't think rationalism is a particular western trait at all. Or are you referring to any particular western(ized) form? If so, which would that be?).

Not trying to be confrontational.
    Just interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ditto. Somewhere this summer I will reread a book on formal logic, which I had on first year of the uni treated with some disrespect.

Is it Wilfrid Hodges' Logic? I bought that one! I was thinking of reading it this summer too.
  4. No, no, my dad's studies handbook written for his school.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Formal logic is crucial in any paradigm, of course, but really only as the base; the necessary point-of-departure. Thankfully, there are so many other aspects of human understanding and communication.

I taught a course in media rhetorics in 2007, and it was interesting to note that of the three appeal forms, 'pathos' and 'ethos' engaged the students FAR more than the 'logos'.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Appealing to reason, to emotions and to character? I'm glad to see Aristotle still being the base after all these years. I need to re-read his Rhetorics and Poetics...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Formal logic is crucial in any paradigm, of course, but really only as the base; the necessary point-of-departure. Thankfully, there are so many other aspects of human understanding and communication.

I taught a course in media rhetorics in 2007, and it was interesting to note that of the three appeal forms, 'pathos' and 'ethos' engaged the students FAR more than the 'logos'.

Yes, hence the NEED for the 'logos', to cut through the manipulation that is 'pathos' (especially in media!) and the flexible concept that is 'ethos'. In the best possible world the three should balance each other.
    Experience though teaches us differently. sad

The fact that there are (of course!) more aspects to human communication and experience in my opinion in no way demeans the necessity of an understanding and grasp of logic!
    To me it's as crucial as learning how to write!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    it's also very much based on language and western rational thinking, so...

It is most definitely not!
    Formal logic finds its roots in ancient Greek and Middle-Eastern intellectual exercise!

Western society is based on these roots. I mean western thinking as it is today, influenced by what we call western philosophy.

It is based, if anything, on mathematical games played thousands of years ago, extrapolated to reasoning, not 'language' per se.

Math and language are very much related too.

Why? confused

Because, to make the circle round again, ratio is just a way, not neccessarily the way. It gathers one aspect of knowledge and not all. So in the light of eventuality we should not make ratio more important than it is. I do think it's important, but not ruling, so to speak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So do you think there is a ruling principle?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    The fact that there are (of course!) more aspects to human communication and experience in my opinion in no way demeans the necessity of an understanding and grasp of logic!
    To me it's as crucial as learning how to write!

I agree. Since this was a course in media/journalism, I assume their fascination stems from the fact that it was more interesting to see HOW a given media text created emotions (music, facial expressions etc.) or a debater tried to up his moral image than the various deductions being used.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote

Being, perhaps? Although that is too Buddhist for my liking, I guess. I don't know. That's why I would like to read more about it all and make up my mind then.

Speaking of Buddhism, I do like the idea that ratio is just one of the six senses. It's storage of thoughts. Thinking is less important than meditating and reflection. Makes me wonder how buddhists develop. Perhaps development belongs to ego, so they don't? Only development towards enlightment and not development in the 'western' sense of the word. All this ego vs. non-identity in buddhism confuses me very much. I do believe in identity and development of course!

Anyway, speaking of paradoxes, I thought this one was funny: The GreenLeft paradox (Dutch political party GroenLinks).

Check their logo.
    The logo is both true and not true. On one hand it's not true because the word Green is not green and the word Left is not left. On the other hand is the word Green left en the word Left green and that's true.
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Check their logo.
    The logo is both true and not true. On one hand it's not true because the word Green is not green and the word Left is not left. On the other hand is the word Green left en the word Left green and that's true.
    biggrin

Say what?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Green is not green. Left is not left. Agree?

Now, green is left (green left). And left is green (green left). You see it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote

Being, perhaps? Although that is too Buddhist for my liking, I guess. I don't know. That's why I would like to read more about it all and make up my mind then.

I'd love to learn your thoughts when you do.

For myself, I don't think merely being is in any way ruling: it doesn't govern, nor fullfill (though indeed utter detachment and total awareness without involvement, which is as good a definition of "being" as any other, is indeed a Buddhist aspiration and -as you say- the ultimate Buddhist "development". I've never found that very appealing. To me it seems incredibly selfish and stagnant).

Anyway, speaking of paradoxes, I thought this one was funny: The GreenLeft paradox (Dutch political party GroenLinks).

shocked

I never realized!
    applause
    Well spotted! Excellent!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Well spotted!

Ho, I didn't discover that one myself!! I found it on the internet while looking for the Russell and Liar paradox and I laughed my ass of about it. Really good one isn't it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Green is not green. Left is not left. Agree?

Now, green is left (greenleft). And left is green (greenleft). You see it?

Yes, I see what you mean. However, they are not two mutually exclusive categories; or a true-untrue couple. The first has to do with their own properties (which they do not happen to possess). The second is about properties that is added from OUTSIDE.

But yeah....interesting logo! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

^
    MainTitles very own Ford Thaxton biggrin cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Also, Aristotle's logical texts aren't too easy to read, are they?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Hell, no! slant
  7. Yeah, and I'll NEED them. Also his Ethics. In fact, my philosophy lectures SUCK big time, especially in the ancient-to-early modern eras.

I need to make it up fast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

You work with classical physics. Have a look at quantum physics and prepare for your mind to be vehemently raped. biggrin

As I type, my mind is quivering in some corner of the quantum realm swaying back and forth wide-eyed in the fetal position. Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah; too much brain overload results to this. Not for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.