• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nah; too much brain overload results to this. Not for me.

Nerd leave....bitches mine!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nah; too much brain overload results to this. Not for me.

I'm partly worried you're not joking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You wouldn't understand; you're already semi-nerd tongue kiss biggrin wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FIGHT!!! FIIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTTTT!!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

100% geek with a hint of nerd, I'll admit. But I wear shades, look how cooool I am. cool biggrin

But seriously, it is a shame you view scientific and philosophical subjects as something reserved for 'nerds', which is the distinct impression I get from you whenever the subjects are discussed in any detail. sad (''MY GOD. DELETE THE FRIGGIN THREAD!'' anyone? wink)

If it wasn't for "nerds", you wouldn't be reading my words of wisdom on your computer screen right now. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    philosophical subjects

Come come now, Steven.
    Don't confuse the poor man by using words of more than three syllables.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spoilsports slant rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Spoilsports slant rolleyes

Maybe this internet fight will suffice for now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I am the voice of reason and logic.

I can also do the Vulcan salute sign thing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

100% geek with a hint of nerd, I'll admit. But I wear shades, look how cooool I am. cool biggrin

But seriously, it is a shame you view scientific and philosophical subjects as something reserved for 'nerds', which is the distinct impression I get from you whenever the subjects are discussed in any detail. sad (''MY GOD. DELETE THE FRIGGIN THREAD!'' anyone? wink)

If it wasn't for "nerds", you wouldn't be reading my words of wisdom on your computer screen right now. biggrin

I don't consider those topics nerd-only material; But i do however keep away from the majority of stuff of rather general interest, be it philosophy and such, which would work in contrast to something specific which would have to do - for instance, with my work and would immediately help me improve what i do better; my theory, for my self is: know the basics of the world, be it history, science, religion etc etc, be informed, read, listen, observe, have an opinion; but leave the further, in-depth analysis and research to each area's professionals and if you have more time in your hands, explore what you do in your life to the utmost instead; read every day, improve, be the best you can in your area, study, but preferably stuff that's directly linked to you rather than general blah blah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I am the voice of reason and logic.

I can also do the Vulcan salute sign thing.

I can totally do that too!! cheesy

Fuck, I am a nerd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    or..or.....you still have much spare time ! smile Which is a good thing actually, enjoy it and exploit it while it still lasts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote[/b]
    be the best you can in your area, study, but preferably stuff that's directly linked to you rather than general blah blah.

Not a chance.
    I am, and always have been...a generalist. punk
    (I like to know loads of shit about loads of shit. Though technically that would make ame a copralogist, I guess. slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, fair enough; that's why there are so many different people in the world, so many different point of views; all respectable.

But only one correct: mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah hah hah hah.
    it IS to laugh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't consider those topics nerd-only material; But i do however keep away from the majority of stuff of rather general interest, be it philosophy and such, which would work in contrast to something specific which would have to do - for instance, with my work and would immediately help me improve what i do better; my theory, for my self is: know the basics of the world, be it history, science, religion etc etc, be informed, read, listen, observe, have an opinion; but leave the further, in-depth analysis and research to each area's professionals and if you have more time in your hands, explore what you do in your life to the utmost; read every day, study, but preferably stuff that's directly linked to you rather than general blah blah.

I understand that many topics of science and philosophy don't interest you (a shame I'll admit, but hey, there's nothing I can do about it), there's a lot of subjects in science I'm not really that interested in, it's an impossibly VAST subject remember. But I do try to appreciate them rather than shrug them off simply because they don't appeal to me. For example, I'm not all that turned on by evolutionary biology... but I SURE as hell understand and appreciate its implications, especially in a modern world. Much of politics also bores me, but that's certainly not something I can afford to not appreciate.

For fear of getting preachy, my point is not to force an interest on you - or anyone for that matter. Bloody hell, FAR from it. But it is to try and make you appreciate something. To describe it in a way you'll understand, imagine if someone said to you that they had absolutely no interest in film music because it was 'blah'? It would definitely piss me off, and I'm pretty sure it would for you too! But if that same person instead said 'I don't really like film music because it doesn't really appeal to me', you could at least be more understanding towards her, even though you'd still feel some sense of disappointment. Your apparent attitude to certain things is similar to this analogy, and it's often very disappointing from my point of view.

( kiss )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    so many different point of views; all respectable.

I'll mention that next time I'm talking to a suicide bomber. biggrin (Which is not very often I have to admit.)
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven
    Martijn
    D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, then it means I succeed because at most of the times with these debates like this one here, i am "letting" myself be a more edgy just to piss you off; and it works every.single.time. kiss tongue beer kiss

Seriously though; i do appreciate all the standard and recognized, official offshots of all the scientific and philosophical genres, be it academic or applied or both and also be it of my interest or not.

But when it comes to some dude who wrote some book claiming something, whatever that might be, well there are THOUSANDS of such example throughout the history of mankind and i won't exactly wet my pants and run for it just for the sake of it, except if it proves valid through the test of time.

What you must realize it's that i never criticize anyone who WILL though, no matter if sometimes you're convinced i do, or at others it might seem so as well; i am talking rather personally and what interests me or not; except when noted smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, quite spot on my friend beer Do others too! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, then it means I succeed because at most of the times with these debates like this one here, i am "letting" myself be a more edgy just to piss you off; and it works every.single.time. kiss tongue beer kiss

That was the strangest sentence I've ever read.

Seriously though; i do appreciate all the standardized, official offshots of all the scientific and philosophical genres, be it academic or applied or both; but when it comes to some dude who wrote a book claiming something, whatever that might be, i won't exactly wet my pants and run for it just for the sake of it; what you must realize it's that i never criticize anyone who WILL though, no matter if sometimes you're convinced i do, or at others it might seem so as well; i am talking rather personally and what interests me or not; except when noted smile

I stand corrected.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i edited i a bit after you quoted, to clear my point a bit more. smile

But what exactly makes you stand corrected? Do you suggest that i should respect everything printed just because of the printed and published status, even if it doesn't interest me? (i know it's not as simple as that, but i am trying to understand your point in less words 'cause your paragraphs confuse my boobies-centered brain tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    I always wondered if this was the case. biggrin kiss (But no, it was the structure of the sentence itself that confused me.)

Anyway.

Do you suggest that i should respect everything printed just because of the printed and published status, even if it doesn't interest me?

Not one to break habit, you've completely and utterly missed my point there. I'm suggesting you at least try to appreciate things that might not interest you, but things that clearly are important (like, for example, evolutionary biology). Clearly not everything printed is important and should be respected.

But when it comes to some dude who wrote some book claiming something, whatever that might be, well there are THOUSANDS of such example throughout the history of mankind and i won't exactly wet my pants and run for it just for the sake of it, except if it proves valid through the test of time.

Thousands indeed. But that doesn't take anything away from the rare occasions when one does actually has something significant and relevant to say. The problem is, such examples usually take a bit of effort on your part to get to grips as to WHY it might be important (sticking with scientific discoveries here), which depends on whether you are interested in finding out in the first place. Anyway, that's sort of veering from my point. My point is try to be a little more understanding of subjects that don't interest you (ones that are generally regarded as important at least), and even though you've explained that this is the case, I can't say -judging by past reactions- I'm entirely convinced. I'm not having a go at you, and I'm not angry (you wouldn't like me when I'm angry), I'm just calling it as I see it.

Again, I REITERATE this is not a fight. I'm listening to Rombi, how could I fight? love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    Rombi? That's love-making territory! Get away from me!

No worries mate, no fight on my behalf, i am just asking to understand your point better!

Funny thing is that i agree with what you say; but if he / she has something to say, time will judge this eventually so i don't worry i'll miss something VERY important if i don't read every single book written in the genre smile As for this:

"I'm suggesting you at least appreciate things that might not interest you, things that clearly are important (like, for example, evolutionary biology). Clearly not everything printed is important and should be respected."

I do; i already said before that i respect all acknowledged, recognized and official offshots of all scientific and philosophical areas, academic, applied or both, even if they don't directly interest me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    Well, good. smile

( biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, now shut up and let's talk boobies! biggrin

Btw, my DELETE.THE.FRIGGIN.THREAD wasn't for this topic, was it? It was for a blah blah with William i believe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep...but it was almost about the same subject! biggrin
  2. Well, I HOPE you wouldn't want to delete MY thread, Demetris smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Frackin love this thread. I wish it was used more often to be honest.