• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Stavroula wrote
    Guys, I just wanted to say bye for a while. I'll be off the forum for some time. I'm not too active anymore anyway. Many changes in my life and many things to short out but I'm good and I'll be back soon.
    I'll definately drop by to read what you write and write my wishes for the New Year!
    Take care all of you! Tim take it easy with the married life! beer Martijn stay away from the port! tongue kiss

P.S. Watched Smaug last night! The music in the film was awesome! punk

Thank you Stavi kiss

My best wishes to you and I hope you get everything sorted. We look forward to your return.

p.s. Just returned from seeing Smaug. Loved it and I loved the music, great stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    May all blessings flow to you smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thank you guys for your wishes! I appriciate it more than you know! kiss hug
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ciao. wave

By the looks of it, you may need to bring more port for Martijn when you get back. drink beer
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    Just arrived in Los Angeles with our film scoring class. Looking forward to visit the film scoring departement of USC, scoring sessions, and a few composer meet ups. Great weather too, after a LONG and much delayed journey from Norway!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope you'll keep us updated during your visit Mark.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    markrayen wrote
    Just arrived in Los Angeles with our film scoring class. Looking forward to visit the film scoring departement of USC, scoring sessions, and a few composer meet ups. Great weather too, after a LONG and much delayed journey from Norway!

I'm so envious, I wouldn't know where to start. Halldor was very secretive as to what composers you were meeting, so please feel free to share some names! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014 edited
    Just returned this afternoon, after 25 hours travel from Los Angeles to Kristiansand. It was an amazing trip, and provided extremely useful insight in to the current state and development of modern film music. On our day off, we also took a trip to Universal Studios, which was great!

A few things we did, and composers who met up with us:

- Bill Ross' studio in Santa Monica. Tour of the offices and evening discussions about the state of the business with his partner, Jerome.
    - Breaking Bad composer Dave Porter, who talked about scoring for television to the film scoring class at USC.
    - Bruce Broughton and Joe Trapanese, talking about orchestration and state of the art recording techniques, among other things.
    - John Burlingame, spoke about use of classical music in film. Naturally, a lot of time went to discussing 2001 and the unused Alex North score. Very, very insightful lecture, with plenty of great examples (some well known, some unknown)
    -JoAnn Kane music services. A lot of fun to tour the library, and see handwritten sketches of some of the most amazing music written for film. They had just received a new John Williams arrangement, in his hand writing and ready to be transcribed on computer for an upcoming concert. Was wonderful to read from "the real thing".
    - Recording session of "The Simpsons" with Alf Clausen. A lot of fun seeing how they work, and how professional the collaboration is. Clausen does some clever things with his orchestration, that allows his small orchestra to sound bigger than it actually is. Some very useful advice from him during the intervals!

A wonderful and eventful week, that gave us a lot to think about concerning the state of the business, and how to survive in such an intense and ruthlessly competitive environment.

Let me know if anyone wants specific information about any of the events, and I'll be glad to elaborate smile

Edit: forgot to mention our visit to Chris Young's studio, where we also met Mark Steven Johsnon as they discussed Ghost Rider (2007)... Young has his own unique way of expressing himself verbally (vocally) with heavy grunts, beat boxing, waving arms, and facial cringes. He needs everything to sound bad ass! Amazing guy, as they all were. Dan Carlin from USC helped make arrangements for our visits, and everyone we met was extremely accommodating and generous towards us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    Sounds bloody brilliant, Mark. You got to meet a lot of high profile people and see the biz up-close. Thanks for the report!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    Great report Mark :like:
  1. Heading out to some friends-of-the-family's house in the French countryside tomorrow for a week, near the village of Montigny-en-Morvan. Middle of nowhere and no internet (the closest place of any size would be Dijon, which is still over an hour's drive away), so I'll be cut off for a while. Should be fun though. See you! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014
    Taking some time-off friends, work pressure is up the highest level this time of year, and forum discussions aren't exactly offering me anything in return if i'll have to constantly watch my wording or sugar-coat my opinion. There's stuff i adore on every-day basis, thank God, and whilst 2014 started-off crappy, now it's giving us little gems one after another, but there's middle, so-and-so stuff and there's also shit. However, if everything in the middle gets interpreted when being talked about from my direction as 'being shit' too, then it's too time-consuming for me to try to re-explain the obvious to the ones who are easily offended or stick to interpreting what i say the way they think. See you soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Huh?
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Huh indeed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014 edited
    It's not about sugar coating your opinions, but choosing the right words can go a long way - and do expect to elaborate on them. From my point of view, certainly with your disdain of Apple and/or its products, there doesn't seem to be much room outside of your emotions, and you appear to take a very 'black or white', 'all or nothing' position on things, and that's what I and perhaps others are responding to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think Demetris went away before he got the chance to see that we (or at least I) wasn't talking about him, specifically, in that other thread.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Lately I have been getting increasingly frustrated at a certain member's personal stabs to ridicule me, so I have now decided I'll be taking off some time, just to let all that negativity get out of my system. Not sure when or if I'll be back. I'm not a drama queen and this wasn't an easy decision but it has been going on for a while now and I thank all the good people here except for THAT guy for accepting me the way I am.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. What? Who? Why? Does it really matter? I loved chatting with you, Gilles. Don't opt for Gillexit. Such matters want to be considered carefully. shocked
    (Not to mention that it takes a two years course of negotiations to break away from here.)

slant Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Aw, don't go! I don't think I'm the person you're referring to (at least I hope not), but I know we don't always see eye to eye on things like modern film music. I hope you never took any of our discussions too personally as it certainly wasn't meant that way. I'd miss your voice in the discussions around here for sure. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2016 edited
    Who? don't go man, even i came back. Hope you're not leaving because of me ? (i don't even remember anything regarding my comments and you and i don't post so often anyway so i hope it's not me smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2016
    Sorry to see you go, Gilles, but I'm hoping and expecting you'll be back. Taking a break can be beneficial sometimes, if the 'mood' of a place starts to affect your own everyday mood as well. I've had it like that many times, especially over at FSM.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Aw, don't go! I don't think I'm the person you're referring to (at least I hope not), but I know we don't always see eye to eye on things like modern film music. I hope you never took any of our discussions too personally as it certainly wasn't meant that way. I'd miss your voice in the discussions around here for sure. sad

Trust me Edmund, it wasn't you.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Demetris wrote
    Who? don't go man, even i came back. Hope you're not leaving because of me ? (i don't even remember anything regarding my comments and you and i don't post so often anyway so i hope it's not me smile )

It's not you too Demetris smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    I blame Steven for everything so it must be him! tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven is the devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What can I say? I'm a badass.
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote

Did I say anything wrong? If so I sincerely apologize.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    it was my fault, I'm Spartacus.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote

Did I say anything wrong? If so I sincerely apologize.

Volker

no no Volker absolutely not you, you're one of the most friendly newcomers we ever had around here wink