• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009 edited
    I remember the days when I was about 12 and had very little money to spend on cd's. And I bought them for average prices of 17 euros (back in those days 40 guldens) and was lucky if I bought 6 scores each year. Then I discovered secondhand shops and some time later internetshops and my collection grew rapidly.

These are recent figures to the best of my knowledge:

2008: Bought 217 scores. Including some second and third copies.
    2009: Until now 78 scores.

I'm sure 2008 was a definite 'highlight'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009
    You know, it depends on certain occasion. Honestly speaking, in my place its very difficult to find score albums. So, i have no other option go in different way and collect my favorite film scores. By the way, who is favorite composer? What is your all time favorite score album?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I couldn't put a number on it but it really isn't very many, over the years it's got less and less and less.

During the mid to late 1990's when I was far more affluent I was buying bucket loads.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I haven't seen a single score album in stores of any city I've visted so far, not even Delhi...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    I haven't seen a single score album in stores of any city I've visted so far, not even Delhi...

In Chennai, I have seen and bought Angels & Demons and The Dark Knight very recently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What kind of record stores do you have Ravi?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I can guess, its Landmark, Music world and Planet M. All these stores contains CDs, DVDs, VCDs etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    There were a chain of music stores in underground Connaught Place at Delhi I went to, including Music World which is supposed to be one of the largest music stores... I went there and asked for a few CDs and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about slant I looked in the shelves but all I could see apart from the regular Bollywood stuff was rock/pop/metal etc, no film soundtracks. Oh well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I very rarely buy CDs in actual shops, mostly secondhand stuff. My primary source of CDs are the different online stores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    There were a chain of music stores in underground Connaught Place at Delhi I went to, including Music World which is supposed to be one of the largest music stores... I went there and asked for a few CDs and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about slant I looked in the shelves but all I could see apart from the regular Bollywood stuff was rock/pop/metal etc, no film soundtracks. Oh well!

On several occasions, i felt annoyed with these music stores. For instance, if you go to Landmark or Music World, they have soundtrack albums which contains just songs only, no complete score album. But you know, in Chennai, i saw LOTR:The fellowship of the Ring complete recordings. I couldn't believe it. Do you find any unusual stuff like this in Delhi?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh, Connaught Place cool

A long time since I was there ( 1989 ), I remember a stall was selling bootleg VHS of Burton's BATMAN which hadn't even been released worldwide at that point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    But you know, in Chennai, i saw LOTR:The fellowship of the Ring complete recordings. I couldn't believe it. Do you find any unusual stuff like this in Delhi?

WANT!!!

I didn't find a SINGLE score album in any music store, big or small, so far. I did see a few like the Lion King and Spiderman 2 regular OSTs but they're not score albums, they also have songs. I'm not surprised because no wonder scores don't sell well here, you can probably count the total number of film score fans in India on your fingers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Like Timmer, I used to buy fervently throughout the 90's and into the first few years of the 2000's, but then it stopped (more or less) for a variety of reasons. At that point, my collection had reached a saturation point of about 1000 CD's (also including about 350 non-film music CD's).

So far in 2009, I have bought a total of 5 (five) soundtracks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote

I'm not surprised because no wonder scores don't sell well here, you can probably count the total number of film score fans in India on your fingers!

Agreed. Naturally, these kind of stores looks for profit. As you said, in our country film score fans are very lesser in number. That's really saddening. By the way, do you know the price LOTR complete recordings? It cost Rs.2495/- shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    By the way, do you know the price LOTR complete recordings? It cost Rs.2495/- shocked

Dear, dear. Out of my current capacity then. But it's truly worth that, IMO!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Like Timmer, I used to buy fervently throughout the 90's and into the first few years of the 2000's, but then it stopped (more or less) for a variety of reasons. At that point, my collection had reached a saturation point of about 1000 CD's (also including about 350 non-film music CD's).

A bit higher if Williams and Goldenthal were more busy wink

I've bought more than 5 this year ( but not much more ) due to 'old' releases from Barry and Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    Sunil wrote
    By the way, do you know the price LOTR complete recordings? It cost Rs.2495/- shocked

Dear, dear. Out of my current capacity then. But it's truly worth that, IMO!

I agree. You know i have all three complete recordings of LOTR, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Tower and The Return of the King. Don't ask me how did i get it. Its a secret. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Open sesame... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very hard to say.
    When I got into a better paying job in the late nineties, I started buying everything I had on tape back on CD. So my purchase curve was pretty huge!

Then I got caught up (for a very short) while into the whole "limited edition" craze.

As I have almost no more "holy grails" left tp purchase, I only buy CDs now when they get rave reviews, or when I really like the preview tracks. That happened a lot in the last month, so I have purchased 5,6 CDs (which is more than I did in the whole of 2009 so far).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    Open sesame... wink

Ah.. Don't tempt me. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I want to get a credit card so I can buy CDs online.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A bit higher if Williams and Goldenthal were more busy wink

I've bought more than 5 this year ( but not much more ) due to 'old' releases from Barry and Horner.

Same here. Of those five, two are Williams (NONE BUT THE BRAVE, TEMPLE OF DOOM - EXPANDED), two are Elfman (TERMINATOR, MILK), while the odd one out is Mark Isham's POINT BREAK, of all things, a rare "take-a-chance-because-you-like-a-couple-of-the-sound-clips" purchase I regret somewhat.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. This year is my most active, buying-wise. I think I bought 5 to 10, in two cases received an album for free as a review copy. Mostly classics though.

My DVD purchases look much better.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you count the review copies and the classical it is over a 1000 of them. However, I have purchased some FSM sets of older material.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    If you count the review copies and the classical it is over a 1000 of them. However, I have purchased some FSM sets of older material.
    Thomas

shocked

Over 1000 in ONE year?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I get a lot of stuff from Naxos, Chandos etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    The last couple of years, about five or six a year. Plus maybe one or two CDs with other stuff.

Yes, I know.

This year it has been Angels & Demons, Transformers 2, and (soon) Battlestar Galactica Season 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    When I had filmscore.be, sometimes that was 100 scores a year I received (and mostly reviewed!). Now Thomas takes those, and I have some that are doubled by Tom or the ones I thought of reviewing, but eventually will not do.

I buy 20 or so scores a year, but not much lately.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Back when i was reviewing, there was A LOT OF CD's around; these days, due to the decreasing quality of modern film music releases on CD and the vast increase of "wink" "wink, the quantity of CD's i purchase each year is limited down only to the ones i REALLY, REALLY like and will frequently revisit, thus i buy on CD.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    I think I'm getting a lot more classical than soundtracks